Transition of Power From the UK to the US

• The UK was formally the world’s either major or lone “superpower”, but soon the US took over that roll. Which included the US gaining military dominance, currency/economic dominance, global influence, etc. When and how did this begin to happen?

• 1917, but really about 1900.

UK was pretty much destroyed by war and spent their last energies just getting thru the great war.

America was fully industrialized and not touched by war. France too had shot her wad from the war.

Also, US  just came from winning against Spain and entered her Imperial period ( thanks to Teddy my hero)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The “Role” you’re talking about the US filling is the directly post WWII era.

After America broke away from it’s isolationistic ideologies.

IL is correct in saying though, that Britain left a power vacuum directly after the great war.  Leaving Germany, Russia, Japan, and others a gap of thier own to fill.

• @Dylan:

The UK was formally the world’s either major or lone “superpower”, but soon the US took over that roll. Which included the US gaining military dominance, currency/economic dominance, global influence, etc. When and how did this begin to happen?

This is a question which Paul Kennedy addressed in his book “The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers: Economic Change and Military Conflict From 1500 to 2000”.  A summary can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rise_and_Fall_of_the_Great_Powers

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Dylan:

The UK was formally the world’s either major or lone “superpower”, but soon the US took over that roll. Which included the US gaining military dominance, currency/economic dominance, global influence, etc. When and how did this begin to happen?

Long time since I encountered you Dylan… This seems like an essay question that you are trying to get an answer for.  :roll:

• @LHoffman:

@Dylan:

Long time since I encountered you Dylan… This seems like an essay question that you are trying to get an answer for.  :roll:

Nah, just curious. I was looking at this book I got and I noticed that Britain acted a lot like the US does today.

This is a question which Paul Kennedy addressed in his book “The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers: Economic Change and Military Conflict From 1500 to 2000”.  A summary can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rise_and_Fall_of_the_Great_Powers

Interesting how the “first edition” cover shows Japan following the US, guess that never happened.

• Customizer

Britain is to America as Greece is to Rome

http://cullenmurphy.com/are-we-rome

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m