• @Scott:

It looks to me like the picture labelled ANZAC land units is actually British land units: 1 UK artillery, 1 UK mech infantry top view, and 1 UK mech infantry side view.  I think the color is just off because of the lighting used for the picture, because when I ‘zoomed in’ on the pieces, they looked beige, not dark gray.

Quite possible.  VanGal didn’t provide me with named files, just numbered ones.  I added names to help me sort them for posting purposes, but the lighting and colour of the shots may very well have fooled me.

• Just to follow up, I noticed that VanGal’s most recent posting on the previous page says “New pics of map are being processed along with pics of ANZAC air and UK mech inf.” – so that too seems to indicate that the grey-looking land units are actually British.  I’ll go edit the caption of my post for that picture to indicate this.

• can we get a pic or pics of the pages in the rulebook that tells you what each piece represents?

• @Yavid:

can we get a pic or pics of the pages in the rulebook that tells you what each piece represents?

Well, for Air it’s almost certainly the CAC Boomerang for the fighter, the Bristol Beaufort for the Tac and if I’m not mistaken, a Ju 86 for the bomber, which were flown by the Australians…

Oh thank goodness, I think it’s a Lockheed Hudson or Ventura.  Australia only used the Ju86 for civilian transport.

• Pictures of the unit identification pages should be coming shortly. The Britsh land units disguised as ANZACS are British.

Enjoy.

Carl

• Here are the unit tables, in four different views.  Shot 1 of 4:

IMG_2864.JPG

• Shot 2 of 4:

IMG_2865.JPG

• Shot 3 of 4:

IMG_2866.JPG

• Shot 4 of 4:

IMG_2867.JPG

• Can I say it for all of us: why not have used this excellent opportunity to give France its own sculpts?
    Am so happy for Italy’s of course.

• I agree I’m rolling my eyes that we still have blue russians.

Thank you for posting the pics I asked for it’s much appericated.

• Thumbs down on the French tank and Mig fighter, but at least they got an AA gun (also borrowed from the Soviets).
    I would prefer the old french artillery instead of the new blue Russian one.

I also propose a switcheroo of UK/ANZAC pieces:
    the old ANZAC M3 halftrack mech shall remain as the ANZAC mech (obtained under lend lease from USA or something)
    the new ANZAC “Ram Kangaroo” mech becomes a Canadian unit (and proud of it)
    the old ANZAC infantry, artillery etc also become Canadian
    the old UK M3 halftrack shall remain as the mech for UK
    the UK new “priest” kangaroo mech shall go directly into the garbage can. It is just too awful to place on the board.

After sealion, Canada fights on with their $7 a turn and capitol moved to Ottawa.  Minimal effect on the game but vastly more correct and fun to play as Britain.

• I really want to try the Canadian capital option, but do not play enough and have as yet not had a successful Sealion.

• I have set up the 2nd Edition next to the first edition and here are some observations:

1. USA has no bombers on the map.
    2. Japan has 8 less air on the map.
    3. UK has 2 less air on the map.
    4. Japan attack on UK on turn 1 is less lucrative.
    5. USA and ANZAC navy’s are bolstered to some degree.
    6. There are more land units of Japan and China in Asia.

I believe that with the new setup the balance of play is much better. I played the first edition against a guy named “Jake” previously and anyone knowing Jake will understand why I never played again. He could take Japan and destroy anything the Allies did, even with giving the Allies many additional units. Hint: Jake would lose air units before ground units in Asia. With 8 less planes I do not believe that will be happening as much.

Carl

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Yea Carl, EVERYONE including my dog could dominate the pacific in OOB.

That’s why the Alpha rules came in - which ARE Second Edition.

• I must say I am happy with all the new sculpts but I really wish they would change the US fighter from the P-38 to the P-51 or the Corsair…:(

• @munchie19:

I must say I am happy with all the new sculpts but I really wish they would change the US fighter from the P-38 to the P-51 or the Corsair…:(

or hellcat seeing as they already have the mold

• Agreed. I think it is too big and can not always balance on a carrier!
    I would also love if A&A got really anal and had 2 Fighters of which,the more expensive, could only land on Carriers.
    Learning to land on a Carrier was not the same as using a runway. Experienced pilots could not be replaced.
    I also hate that a Fighter can fly 4 and fight and land on Carrier it did not start from, replacing the one that did.

• @wittmann:

Can I say it for all of us: why not have used this excellent opportunity to give France its own sculpts?

Because they will probably save this ‘opportunity’ as a selling point for future games…

Imagine the draw of having unique French sculpts appearing in a Mediterranean theater-scale game!

You’ll buy it. I’ll buy it. Wizards (wisely) isn’t putting all of its available eggs in the Global '40 basket.

• @Make_It_Round:

@wittmann:

Can I say it for all of us: why not have used this excellent opportunity to give France its own sculpts?

Because they will probably save this ‘opportunity’ as a selling point for future games…

Imagine the draw of having unique French sculpts appearing in a Mediterranean theater-scale game!

You’ll buy it. I’ll buy it. Wizards (wisely) isn’t putting all of its available eggs in the Global '40 basket.

You are absolutely correct. I’ve bought every edition of Axis and Allies, regardless of any flaws or setup issues. I know Larry has mentioned before he won’t be doing an African theater map, but maybe he will if Wizards is holding out on new French sculpts (correct me if I’m wrong about any major battles in NA involving the French).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m