• Official Q&A

Nope.  Larry decided it was too much complication for an introductory game.

• The official FAQ has been updated per September 3, 2014:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs

• The official FAQ has been updated per November 24, 2014:

What is new?

@FAQ:

Purchasing Units

Q. Can I purposely purchase more units than I can mobilize with the intent of deciding which
    units I want to keep based on the outcome of battles I intend to fight?

A. No. You may only purchase as many units as you will have the ability to mobilize after making repairs
    to any damaged industrial complexes. The rules for returning excess units are intended only for
    inadvertent over-purchasing.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs

• I bought AAA1941 for my 9 year old son and we started playing with the help of some youtube tutorials.  There are certain scenarios that have occurred during the game about which we have some fairly detailed questions.  Does anyone have the time and willingness to offer some help?  The questions are as follows, but you can also email me privately, thanks.  The questions are verbose, sorry about that, but I didnt know how to condense them without losing the specific points…

1. If the NATIONAL PRODUCTION number-line printed on the top of the board keeps track of IPCs, how come we have to keep track of IPCs on a separate piece of paper?
      For example, if Germany starts a turn with 12 IPCs and purchases a Destroyer for 8 IPCs, wouldn’t that lower their NATIONAL PRODUCTION to 4 IPCs on the NATIONAL PRODUCTION number-line on the board? Or does it stay the same on the board and just get lowered in the bank (on the separate piece of paper) � and if so, is the NATIONAL PRODUCTION number-line on the board just keeping track of territories and not effected by purchases, and the bank (separate piece of paper) keeps track of purchases and NOT territories?

2. In battles:  If the battle looks something like this:
      ATTACKER: GERMANY
      1 Bomber
      1 Aircraft Carrier
      2 Fighters
      3 Infantry

DEFENDER: UNITED STATES
    1 Bomber
    1 Destroyer
    1 Fighter
    1 Infantry
    1 Transport
    I roll the dice for the Bomber to attack � but am I rolling the die once for the Bomber to attack the US Bomber, and then again for my Bomber to attack the US Destroyer, and then again for my Bomber to attack the US fighter, and a 4th time to attack the US Infantry, and a last time to attack the US Transport; and then roll the die for my Aircraft to attack each one of the US units again; and then do the same for each of my fighters and each of my infantry?
    OR do I roll the dice for my Bomber to attack just ONE of the US units? And then roll for the Aircraft carrier to attack another of the US units�so on?
    And if so, how do I determine which US unit my Bomber, or Aircraft, etc, is attacking? Or is it only a Bomber fights a Bomber, an aircraft fights an Aircraft, etc?

1. Related to above question, another permutation of battle:  If my German fighter attacks 3 US infantry � do I roll the die 3 times, one time for each of the 3 US infantry � or do I only attack once and if I hit, only take out one US infantry?  Conversely, I assume the 3 US infantry has one shot each, which is a total of 3 shots, against my fighter?

2. I know a tank can blitz, but if a territory is undefended and empty -has no hostile units in it and no friendly units in it- during a Combat Move can I just fly a fighter in, or walk an infantry in, and put a Control Marker there without a battle at all?

3. If the US wants to invade Japan, being an island, how do I offload land units form a transport in order to combat there?  It seems I am not allowed to offload land-units onto hostile islands?  Am I only allowed to combat hostile islands with air units?
      Another permutation of this situation:
      If my German Tank is in Gibraltar and I want to combat in North Africa, which us currently controlled by US, how do I get my tank from Gibraltar to North Africa if I cannot offload land units into hostile territory? Do I have to take a circuitous route and go all the way around to invade from an adjacent German-controlled territory?

• '19 '18 '17

@Dad:

I bought AAA1941 for my 9 year old son and we started playing with the help of some youtube tutorials.�  There are certain scenarios that have occurred during the game about which we have some fairly detailed questions.�  Does anyone have the time and willingness to offer some help?�  The questions are as follows, but you can also email me privately, thanks.�  The questions are verbose, sorry about that, but I didnt know how to condense them without losing the specific points…

1. If the NATIONAL PRODUCTION number-line printed on the top of the board keeps track of IPCs, how come we have to keep track of IPCs on a separate piece of paper?
      For example, if Germany starts a turn with 12 IPCs and purchases a Destroyer for 8 IPCs, wouldn’t that lower their NATIONAL PRODUCTION to 4 IPCs on the NATIONAL PRODUCTION number-line on the board? Or does it stay the same on the board and just get lowered in the bank (on the separate piece of paper) � and if so, is the NATIONAL PRODUCTION number-line on the board just keeping track of territories and not effected by purchases, and the bank (separate piece of paper) keeps track of purchases and NOT territories?

2. In battles:�  If the battle looks something like this:
      ATTACKER: GERMANY
      1 Bomber
      1 Aircraft Carrier
      2 Fighters
      3 Infantry

DEFENDER: UNITED STATES
    1 Bomber
    1 Destroyer
    1 Fighter
    1 Infantry
    1 Transport
    I roll the dice for the Bomber to attack � but am I rolling the die once for the Bomber to attack the US Bomber, and then again for my Bomber to attack the US Destroyer, and then again for my Bomber to attack the US fighter, and a 4th time to attack the US Infantry, and a last time to attack the US Transport; and then roll the die for my Aircraft to attack each one of the US units again; and then do the same for each of my fighters and each of my infantry?
    OR do I roll the dice for my Bomber to attack just ONE of the US units? And then roll for the Aircraft carrier to attack another of the US units�so on?
    And if so, how do I determine which US unit my Bomber, or Aircraft, etc, is attacking? Or is it only a Bomber fights a Bomber, an aircraft fights an Aircraft, etc?

1. Related to above question, another permutation of battle:�  If my German fighter attacks 3 US infantry � do I roll the die 3 times, one time for each of the 3 US infantry � or do I only attack once and if I hit, only take out one US infantry?�  Conversely, I assume the 3 US infantry has one shot each, which is a total of 3 shots, against my fighter?

2. I know a tank can blitz, but if a territory is undefended and empty -has no hostile units in it and no friendly units in it- during a Combat Move can I just fly a fighter in, or walk an infantry in, and put a Control Marker there without a battle at all?� Â

3. If the US wants to invade Japan, being an island, how do I offload land units form a transport in order to combat there?�  It seems I am not allowed to offload land-units onto hostile islands?�  Am I only allowed to combat hostile islands with air units?
      Another permutation of this situation:
      If my German Tank is in Gibraltar and I want to combat in North Africa, which us currently controlled by US, how do I get my tank from Gibraltar to North Africa if I cannot offload land units into hostile territory? Do I have to take a circuitous route and go all the way around to invade from an adjacent German-controlled territory?

1. The NP tracker tracks your income.  Think of it sort of like a salary, and the total is equal to the sum of the territory values for territories you control.  When you start the game, you have that much cash in hand.  You make purchases with the cash you have on hand, and there is really no need to track anything on paper unless you want to.  You may choose to spend all or none of your cash on hand purchasing units.  At the end of each nation’s turn, your “salary” may be adjusted based on territories that were taken or lost.  At the end of your turn, you collect cash equal to your “salary”, which is added to any you have in reserve.  The reason the rules mention tracking your cash balance with a separate sheet of paper is because the game doesn’t give you any “money” to do so.  Try using Monopoly money or actual coins to help keep track.

2. In battles, each unit only fires once.  Leaving aside any special rules like those for submarines, you roll once for each attacking unit (usually in ascending or descending order), and for each “hit” the defender chooses one casualty to place behind the casualty strip.  The defender then rolls one die for each unit (including the ones behind the casualty strip).  For each hit, the attacker removes a casualty.  After each round, remove the defender’s casualties from behind the strip, then begin another round (unless the attacker chooses to retreat).

3. Each unit only fires once.  There are exceptions in different versions of the game (like for anti-aircraft guns or strategic bombers), but in 1941 it is one and done.

4. Infantry yes, fighter no.  Fighter can not land on a newly taken territory.

5. The rules for amphibious assaults (which is what you are describing) encompass quite a few lines in the rulebook and can be among the most difficult to grasp (even in this introductory version of the game).  You can absolutely attack an occupied enemy territory by landing units from a transport, but there are a few rules about how to do it.  I’d recommend rereading those rules and then come back here if you have additional questions. Â

Hope this helps.  I am a relative beginner myself, so others will no doubt chime in to add/correct as necessary.

Cheers,
    D

• I’m trying to figure out A&A 1941 and I ran into a couple of questions:

First, if (for example):

During the first combat move phase, Soviet Union wants to attack West Russia with Russia, and at the same time Germany wants to attack Russia with West Russia.

In other words, two opposing territories want to attack each other. In this case, when you start playing out the fight, how do you determine which side is the attacker and which side is the defender if each side wants to be the attacker?

Second, if (for example):

During a combat phase, Japanese transports move into Sea zone 43 to launch and amphibious attack on Midway. If the US player was not originally planning to defend against this, but he can, is he allowed to?

The second question boils down to this: All of the combat moves by all the different countries are supposed to happen at the same time. Therefore, if the US was originally planning to move southward but now he sees that it would be a better move to go northward to defend Midway, is he allowed to change his intended moves based on his knowledge of his opponent’s moves? If so, it seems like this favors the countries who move later because they essentially know exactly what their opponents are planning to do.

• Hi axxis14 and welcome to the forum. Let’s see whether I can help with your questions ….

@axxis14:

During the first combat move phase, Soviet Union wants to attack West Russia with Russia, and at the same time Germany wants to attack Russia with West Russia.

In other words, two opposing territories want to attack each other. In this case, when you start playing out the fight, how do you determine which side is the attacker and which side is the defender if each side wants to be the attacker?

Since Russia and Germany do not take their turns at the same time, this circumstance does not arise. Russia goes first. It completes all stages of its move, including its attack on West Russia. During Russia’s turn Germany can only defend. Germany’s turn is next. West Russia is now controlled by Russia and Germany has no units left there to attack Russia.

So you don’t do combat for each Power and then non-combat for each. Instead you do purchasing, combat, non-combat, mobilisation, income for one Power. Then you do all those stages for the next.

@axxis14:

During a combat phase, Japanese transports move into Sea zone 43 to launch and amphibious attack on Midway. If the US player was not originally planning to defend against this, but he can, is he allowed to?

The second question boils down to this: All of the combat moves by all the different countries are supposed to happen at the same time. Therefore, if the US was originally planning to move southward but now he sees that it would be a better move to go northward to defend Midway, is he allowed to change his intended moves based on his knowledge of his opponent’s moves? If so, it seems like this favors the countries who move later because they essentially know exactly what their opponents are planning to do.

As per my first answer, all of the combat moves do NOT happen at the same time.

When the US declares its combats, Japan will have already completed its turn.

However, each Power does declare all its combats within its turn before undertaking the resulting battles and cannot then change those combat moves. For example if Russia declares battles in E Europe and Ukraine, if the battle goes badly in E Europe, Russia cannot then decide not to commence the battle already declared in Ukraine. Russia does have the flexibility, however, of deciding to retreat after any round of dice, so it can pay to undertake the battles in a specific order. In this example, Russia could retreat from Ukraine after the first round of dice.

Hope this helps
    Private Panic

• We have been playing A&A 1941 for several months now and need clarification on SZ6 & SZ8.  We have been playing where Germany’s battleship & sub can move freely between SZ6 & SZ8 which usually guarantees the UK’s navy is completely wiped out with Germany’s first turn.  Since canals have to be controlled by friendly forces before ships can move through them, have we been playing wrong?  It seems logical that Germany would not be able to move between England and North Ireland unless they controlled the UK.  Please help.

• @tphearn:

We have been playing A&A 1941 for several months now and need clarification on SZ6 & SZ8.  We have been playing where Germany’s battleship & sub can move freely between SZ6 & SZ8 which usually guarantees the UK’s navy is completely wiped out with Germany’s first turn.  Since canals have to be controlled by friendly forces before ships can move through them, have we been playing wrong?  It seems logical that Germany would not be able to move between England and North Ireland unless they controlled the UK.  Please help.

Welcome to the forum, tphearn.

According to the rulebook there are two canals in the game: Suez Canal and Panama Canal.
    So the canal rules don’t apply to the situation you are describing.

HTH :-)

• Thanks for the quick reply P@nther.

• Unless I am missing something, there is no clause for owning your own capitols in order to win.

• So in theory if Russia capture Germany but Japan takes Russia out the same round, the Allies still win at the end of Japans turn (short game rules)?

• Or, playing for standard victory, if England captures Germany, but Germany occupies Russia and Japan captures USA, This is an Axis victory?

Is this correct?

@Krieghund:

@P@nther:

So the

Soviet-Japanese Non-aggression Pact: Neither the Soviet Union nor Japan may
    attack territories controlled by the other until either Germany or Russia has
    been captured by an enemy power.

did not make it to the official FAQ obviously.

Nope.  Larry decided it was too much complication for an introductory game.

That might have been an interesting optional rule.  New players typically skip optional rules, so I think that would have been okay.

Would such a rule mitigate the Axis advantage, or even shift the balance to the favour the Allies?

• Official Q&A

@zooooma:

Unless I am missing something, there is no clause for owning your own capitols in order to win.

• So in theory if Russia capture Germany but Japan takes Russia out the same round, the Allies still win at the end of Japans turn (short game rules)?

• Or, playing for standard victory, if England captures Germany, but Germany occupies Russia and Japan captures USA, This is an Axis victory?

Is this correct?

Yes.

• Thanks!

• Didn’t want to open a new thread, so I’ll put it here

The setup in the “rules and downloads” section -8https://www.axisandallies.org/resources-downloads/axis-allies-1941-setup-chart/) for this version is wrong (according to this picture of the backside of the rules on BGG https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1336978/axis-allies-1941?size=original)

Western Europe has 2 Inf
    England has no tank but a bomber
    Szechwan has 2 Inf

and the revised setup is not mentioned, maybe makes sense to do so

• B barnee referenced this topic on

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m