• The title says it all folks. I was playing my best friend in yet another game of Global. He was actually playing my father, who surrendered, but out of pride or smugness, I took a look at the board and told the Axis player I bet I could beat him if I took over my father’s situation. It was pretty bleak, as the Axis were winning on all fronts and the Allied forces were displaced and could not muster an immediate offensive. And I’m proud to say, that after 2 more days of hard playing, the Axis surrendered  :-D Anyway, this got me thinking; what are some of your guy’s come from behind victory stories? I find turning a sure loss into a definitive win to be more exciting than just a straight blow out from the beginning and I’d like to hear some of the awesome stories you vet players could tell.

• Hoping im playing that game ATM! Lost London G3, just got it back US9! And US has been slaugtered vs Japan! Germany and Japan both got a 70++ IPC run but now we are starting 2 fight back ;)

PPP

• @warwinner:

It was pretty bleak, as the Axis were winning on all fronts and the Allied forces were displaced and could not muster an immediate offensive. And I’m proud to say, that after 2 more days of hard playing, the Axis surrendered

Except for the part about the two days, that’s actually a pretty good description of how WWII actually went historically.

• @PeterPaaPan:

Hoping im playing that game ATM! Lost London G2, just got it back US9! And US has been slaugtered vs Japan! Germany and Japan both got a 70++ IPC run but now we are starting 2 fight back ;)

PPP

Donk! - We lost London G2 - cause of maximum tilt and ���� ups. Our game is currently about 20 rounds in i think. We have been slaughtered by Dice-rolls. Yet we are still slightly in the game. Its gonna be a long hard run though!
    Total played time is around 67 Hours at this point! Never give up never surrender.
    /Et

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

German/Italian/Japanese Kill Russia First strategy (after India of course) from the south - using an IC in Romania.  All the planes where too far away, and Novgorod was not captured (England had liberated it and Germany wasnt in a position to retake it befor Russia could build there.)

Russia buys a transport and 2 infantry - KNOWING Moscow is going to fall, it being the 8th Victory City needed to win…  On Russia’s turn, a very SURPRISED Germany finds Russian infantry in West Germany (Frankfurt) thus stopping the win (W. Germany is a Victory City).  America takes Denmark and British transports take Berlin the same round.  Axis surrendered with 6 VCs on the Europe map and 5 VCs on the Pacific map.

Funny as heck to watch!  I had Japan in that 5 player game.

• @Cmdr:

German/Italian/Japanese Kill Russia First strategy (after India of course) from the south - using an IC in Romania.  All the planes where too far away, and Novgorod was not captured (England had liberated it and Germany wasnt in a position to retake it befor Russia could build there.)

Russia buys a transport and 2 infantry - KNOWING Moscow is going to fall, it being the 8th Victory City needed to win…  On Russia’s turn, a very SURPRISED Germany finds Russian infantry in West Germany (Frankfurt) thus stopping the win (W. Germany is a Victory City).  America takes Denmark and British transports take Berlin the same round.  Axis surrendered with 6 VCs on the Europe map and 5 VCs on the Pacific map.

Funny as heck to watch!  I had Japan in that 5 player game.

When did Frankfurt become a victory city???

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Lol Yeah?

Get ready for a book report Larrie, we just accused Cmndr Jen of lying.  She’s going to dig deep…

• Customizer

I once took Washington.

I was going for Sealion, but the initial opening for me sucked, and my opponent defended UK properly.  He stacked up against the Germans with Russia recognizing that my odds of surviving with much weren’t good.  Since he wasn’t concerned with Sealion anymore, he put everything in the Pacific with the US.

I bought my TTs anyways (I saw something he didn’t) G2.  I took out what remaining UK ships there were at the cost of some more planes.  There were now no Allied ships in the Atlantic.  Still Sealion was going down the toilet now having lost more planes.  Still, he still had to buy defensively with the UK.

G3 I moved to Gib with the whole TT fleet loaded with 26 ground units.  With my opponent having gone all in on the Pacific side, there were only a few ground units he could put in Washington and every plane he could get there from the Pacific (no match for 26 ground units).

Most importantly, he had NO ships to block my German fleet.  G4 it was all over.

Moral of the story, don’t get cocky and turn your back on a power you think is down on its luck.  I’ve learned this lesson myself.

• TripleA

wait… so he didn’t spam units on america to retake his capital? you only get a surge of income for a round… but that is not a big deal cos all those units you drop should be dead. plus if he pulls air from the pacific he can hammer out your fleet too.

most of the time, I don’t do much in the atlantic either unless germany buys naval for usa to kill. still defending usa is not hard. you can spam 10 inf there and 10 inf/arty in central in the event of the worst case scenario.

• Not if Japan hasnt declared war ? Maybe they waitet and max was 6 units on that side ?

PPP

@Gargantua:

Lol Yeah?

Get ready for a book report Larrie, we just accused Cmndr Jen of lying.  She’s going to dig deep…

Musta been one of the half dozen we tossed on the game board to make the game more playable… (New Zealand was one too, but that I know was not an original VC.)

@Cow:

wait… so he didn’t spam units on america to retake his capital? you only get a surge of income for a round… but that is not a big deal cos all those units you drop should be dead. plus if he pulls air from the pacific he can hammer out your fleet too.

most of the time, I don’t do much in the atlantic either unless germany buys naval for usa to kill. still defending usa is not hard. you can spam 10 inf there and 10 inf/arty in central in the event of the worst case scenario.

That may be true most of the time, but I see what Jim’s saying.  America was sucker punched, he probably didnt have many ground units because he didnt see it coming until too late.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

There was nothing he could do…

at best, production is 9 units.

And there is a good chance he could sack the capital with HALF of his force, and use the other half to block CUS.

America without an income, then CRUNCHED by Japan, is hooped.  It should have been easy, with no Air to defend it’s fleet.

Even if they managed a recapture after 2 turns, they were still screwed.  No income,  and Japan would have been all over them with everything.

Game.

Better yet, two major factories would have been SACKED.  And 3 turns is long enough that all ground units like AA and inf, would be too far away to come back quickly enough…

LOL, wiped out.

• Customizer

As Jen said, it was a sucker punch.  And no, I did not attack with Japan until turn 4.  The US did not see what I was upto until I moved to Gib.  But at that point, there was nothing he could do.  No blocker (and he needed 2 blockers) and no way of building enough units to stave off 26 germans, shore bombards and 2 aircraft.

It is not a game I think I will ever be able to repeat.

I’m sure you will, if Canadian Shield could be done a few times before peeps caught on, so will the American Sucker Punch. ^_~

• Sacking Washington is always something to be proud of  :-D it’s only gotten more difficult with the rule changes.

• The real crap thing about a theoretical blocker, is that Italy and Germany can work together. Since You can reach S. Zone 102 with Italien bombers from Normandy on I3 with and airbase placed there G3 from Germany which leaves germany free pathway to Washington?

• Customizer

I’ve thought about making it an actual tactic using Italy as a deblocker.  But the US should be able to put enough in Washington and sz101 to ensure that it is a pipe dream.

I always watch for it, but I’ve never been given a chance to do it again.

Yes, but if USA does that, they are taking from somewhere else.  However, Italy isn’t really losing much tying up a bomber until round 4….

• TripleA

wait even so a last minute income could get a naval defense for east usa… why didn’t he do that? If you got a 26 man drop… what do you have for naval? bship cruiser carrier 2 air dd sub at most? That’s 7 units only. usa should have 2 fighters nearby so he can get a decent defense last minute.  like carrier sub 3 fighter. so defending would be 5 fighter carrier sub… 7 units.

uk could suicide his remaining air in range on german fleet to pray for a tilt or hit.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m