• Does anyone actually mess with tech (like save 5 for the US per turn, then like on turn 3 or 4, gamble?).  Learning Global, so just trying to see what people do/expect to see.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

That’s kind of a hard question to answer.  Most players, here, will explicitly remove technology from the game.  Personally, I like to go for tech with my NO money for Germany, USA and Italy - sometimes with Japan.  NOT ALL OF IT, that’d be 6 dice a round for USA!  but some of it.  No NO money, no tech dice.  It’s a good cutoff for me.

• As Axis always find I use my money for units and then the Allies always have that edge, because US and Russia can spare the cash on Turn 1. Is very annoying!

Honestly, 9 times out of 10, if you really want to pop Russia like a zit, there’s ways to do it without using your NO money.  We’re talking 1 or 2 dice, or the equivalent of 1 artillery, or 2 infantry and an artillery.  That’s not a huge shift, however, you get advanced artillery?  That IS a huge shift.

• I could understand why Russia might consider risking it, but considering you have to preserve your lines as much as possible, I think it would be a waste.  I could understand the US spending 3 dice worth every turn though, cause that’s still 37 you have to spend (until DOW), but I just wanted to see what others did because I have 1-2 weeks to learn as much as possible.

I could see Germany putting one or two dice into it as well (stille 30-35 IPC a round for 3 or 4 rounds) in the hopes of getting one of the technologies (and theoretically, with 8 dice, they should get one) and making Russia a weaker target.

Russia, I don’t see how they can afford it if Italy stops them from getting the African NOs and Germany doesnt let them into Eastern Europe.

• @Cmdr:

I could see Germany putting one or two dice into it as well (stille 30-35 IPC a round for 3 or 4 rounds) in the hopes of getting one of the technologies (and theoretically, with 8 dice, they should get one) and making Russia a weaker target.

Russia, I don’t see how they can afford it if Italy stops them from getting the African NOs and Germany doesnt let them into Eastern Europe.

with the tokens like anniversary had I would do it, but not everybody uses that house rule. without it I would not buy tech as Russia.

amen, I wouldnt either!

With the house rule, yea, I could see one die cause you’ll either get something eventually, or not be out a lot of money.

• Without tokens, tech is a bad investment.
    Even if you buy units with lets say 10 IPCs (2 rolls), and they never attack, or defend. They are still more scary to the enemy than the 10 IPCs you handed over to the bank for nothing.

• We don’t do tech period without tokens. Most of the major powers try tech rolls, other then Russia who saves its money for defense. Germany goes for Land tech, Japan, Brits and USA for Sea/Air tech. Rockets can be a pain in the ass for players, but god forbid the USA gets the long range aircraft/heavy bomber combo then its total hell on the Axis players.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Tech without tokens, is only good, when the -gamble- is worth the result.

IE If suddenly you get long range aircraft, it then means that you can sack moscow this turn, in a game you’re otherwise losing, GO FOR IT.

Research Facilities is the best house rule for tech, and should be the next axis and allies piece.

• I’ve done a couple games ftf with the latest A 3.9 where I spent $5 a turn every turn on tech. It’s not a huge waste all at once and yeah that could mean a couple less fighters in the game long term, but the potential payoff is nice. In one game my partner and I got LR air with US on turn 3-4 and were able to immediately sink a combined German/Italy fleet in sz91 because of all extra air we could fly in.

I wouldn’t consider tech on a consistent basis like that with any other country except maybe Japan/Germany later in the game once they’re around 60+ and they’re in a position where they can spare 5 bucks a turn. Maybe USSR if Germany went Sea lion and USSR has a huge stack in EPL that won’t go anywhere for several turns.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m