• im not actully sure asked my dad and he said there was no remake

• @450thMSAF:

im not actully sure asked my dad and he said there was no remake

The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress (1944)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036152/

Memphis Belle (1990)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100133/

• '10

@450thMSAF:

@CWO:

@450thMSAF:

The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress (1944)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036152/

Memphis Belle (1990)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100133/

Yes the 1944 version was a documentary and the 1990 version is the only movie (drama) that I know of.

• @450thMSAF:

how bout Memphis Belle?

Inglorious Basterds sucked, but you nominate this? Please tell me you are trolling.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

My vote, obviously, went to Das Boot. As for the others in the poll - my next choice would probably be Tora! Tora! Tora!

But as mentioned by many, there are lots and lots of WW II movies. Someone compiled a list on IMDB with nearly 900 of them: http://www.imdb.com/list/RA6D_dhsP-Y/

• '10

@Jermofoot:

@450thMSAF:

how bout Memphis Belle?

Inglorious Basterds sucked, but you nominate this? Please tell me you are trolling.

Agree.  Can not be taken seriously as a WW2 movie.

• '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

@Jermofoot:

@450thMSAF:

how bout Memphis Belle?

Agree.  Can not be taken seriously as a WW2 movie.

It was more of a comedy and it failed at that!

• its the 1990 one i belive

• Yes… Likely… The easier, the better… All ingenious is simple.

• '16 '15 '10

From the poll choices I will go with a “Thin Red Line”, but that’s pretty subjective cause I haven’t seen all the choices and its been years since I saw “Das Boot”.

The first 90 minutes of “Thin Red Line” is pretty much the best war movie I’ve ever seen.  However, after they finally storm and take the Japanese camp (possibly the best scene in the film) the movie begins to meander.  I think some folks might be disappointed by the end that wouldn’t have been disappointed if the story had resolved itself a bit earlier.  The novel was too big for one feature film–they should have attempted a mini-series.

Idk if anyone has mentioned “Bridge of River Kwai” but that is also a very interesting WW2 film.  I also rate “Untergang”, especially the performance of Bruno Ganz.

• @Zhukov44:

The first 90 minutes of “Thin Red Line” is pretty much the best war movie I’ve ever seen.  However, after they finally storm and take the Japanese camp (possibly the best scene in the film) the movie begins to meander.

Is this the 1964 or the 1998 version of the film?  I’ve never seen the 1964 one, but I own the 1998 version (which came as part of a package of three movies I bought).  I did my best to get through it, but after about 25 minutes (which felt more like two hours) I couldn’t take it anymore: I thought the film had no focus, no movement, no story, and no apparent idea of what it was trying to do.  I later looked at the user reviews for it on the Internet Movie Database and saw that comments about this film are very polarized, with people regarding it either as a masterpiece or a cinematic disaster.  Maybe it’s a bit of both, to have attracted so many divergent opinions.  In my case I have to agree with the E.W. critic who called the film “too paralyzingly high-minded to connect with audiences.”

• @CWO:

@Zhukov44:

The first 90 minutes of “Thin Red Line” is pretty much the best war movie I’ve ever seen.  However, after they finally storm and take the Japanese camp (possibly the best scene in the film) the movie begins to meander.

Is this the 1964 or the 1998 version of the film?  I’ve never seen the 1964 one, but I own the 1998 version (which came as part of a package of three movies I bought).  I did my best to get through it, but after about 25 minutes (which felt more like two hours) I couldn’t take it anymore: I thought the film had no focus, no movement, no story, and no apparent idea of what it was trying to do.  I later looked at the user reviews for it on the Internet Movie Database and saw that comments about this film are very polarized, with people regarding it either as a masterpiece or a cinematic disaster.  Maybe it’s a bit of both, to have attracted so many divergent opinions.  In my case I have to agree with the E.W. critic who called the film “too paralyzingly high-minded to connect with audiences.”

I lived with about 4 other people back around 2000, and we watched the 98 one and Saving Private Ryan.  I like both for different reasons, but feel SPR is the better movie, but my roommates (and one of our cinema major friends) thought TRL was superior in all ways.  I told them that TRL was a very poetic and philosophical view of war, which is fine and has its place, but I really took in SPR’s guttural realism.  I thought it was far more appropriate for war films that always seemed to be dramatized, and got many people to really see what war is like.

My favorite part in TRL is Woody Harrelson blowing his ass off with a grenade.

• Sponsor

The world needs a remake of “sink the Bismarck” and a “Saving private Ryan” equivalent for the naval battles in the Pacific, anyways……

Is there a film on or off the list that can beat " Das Boot"?

• @Young:

The world needs a remake of “sink the Bismarck”

I’d love to see a Bismarck movie along those lines.  The script would be a tricky proposition, however.  The original movie had lots of fictionalized elements (including the two main characters, Director of Operations Sheppard and his WREN assistant), and reflected (as did the C.S. Forrester novel on which it was based) the relatively limited knowledge of the Bismarck’s cruise which existed in the early 1950s, compared with what is known today.  The movie also reflected some lingering anti-German prejudices.  The depictions of Admiral Lutjens and Captain Lindemann are particularly annoying and inaccurate.  Lutjens is portrayed as a bombastic and somewhat stupid Nazi who keeps saying “Zat is good…zat is very good” throughout the movie.  Lindemann fares a bit better: he’s shown to be a capable and sensible officer, but his primary role in the film is to offer ineffectual “But, Sir…” objections to the unwise decisions made by Lutjens.  If a more accurate new version was shot today, it would be hard to call it a “Sink the Bismarck” remake since the film would be so different.  On the other hand, considering how freely scriptwriters depart from their original source material, and how much remakes can differ from their originals, that might not be considered an obstacle.

• '16 '15 '10

Nice article, lists 50 good WWII movies…food for thought.

http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8362/

The author chooses a Russian film called “Come and See” as the best WWII film.

• Sponsor

@Zhukov44:

Nice article, lists 50 good WWII movies…food for thought.

http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8362/

The author chooses a Russian film called “Come and See” as the best WWII film.

Has any one here seen or heard of this film?

• How the hell does Das Boot have more votes then the Longest Day

• Sponsor

@Clyde85:

How the hell does Das Boot have more votes then the Longest Day

I voted for “Das Boot” because I think it’s a better film than “the longest day” however, it was a close second.

• damn it feels good

• '10

Watched the 293 min. version of DAS BOOT today. A very good movie. A loooong movie. But not my number one!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m