(Classic) Paratrooper and Air Transport Rules for Classic

• I will still say first round for attack bonus, but like the idea of pairing. It has precedence from the later gamer combined arms.
    How bout
    Attack at 2 first round and every round there after with matching fighter or tank.

• @Bob77:

I will still say first round for attack bonus, but like the idea of pairing. It has precedence from the later gamer combined arms.
    How bout
    Attack at 2 first round and every round there after with matching fighter or tank.(Emphasis added)

So we’re going to have our Paratroopers re-live Operation Market Garden? :-D It’s not a bad idea (pairing Paratroopers with Tanks, not re-doing Market Garden).

I just went through my copies of the rule books. I only found three rule books with rules for technology development resulting in Paratroopers: A&A Anniversary, A&A Europe 1940 (technology development is an optional rule for Global only), and A&A Europe 1940 Second Edition (optional rule for G40.2). Here is what those books said:

@A&A:

3. Paratroopers. Each of your bombers can act as a transport for one infantry during combat movement, but it must stop in the first hostile territory it enters, ending its movement. Both units must begin their movement in the same territory. The infantry is dropped after any antiaircraft fire is resolved, so if the bomber is hit, the infantry it carries is also destroyed. The bomber may still attack during the Conduct Combat phase, but it cannot make a strategic bombing run in a turn that it transports an infantry unit. If attacking along with land units from adjacent territories, paratroopers may retreat as normal.

@A&A:

3. Paratroopers. Up to 2 of your infantry units in each territory with an air base can be moved to an enemy controlled territory 3 or fewer spaces away that is being attacked by your land units from adjacent territories and/or by amphibious assault. If the territory being attacked has an antiaircraft gun, the paratrooper infantry units are subject to antiaircraft fire in the same way as air units. If attacking along with land units from adjacent territories, paratroopers may retreat as normal.

@A&A:

3. Paratroopers. Up to 2 of your infantry units in each territory with an air base can be moved to an enemy controlled territory 3 or fewer spaces away that is being attacked by your land units from adjacent territories and/or by amphibious assault. When moving, paratroopers must obey the same restrictions that air units do. If the territory being attacked has AAA (antiaircraft artillery) units, the paratrooper infantry units are subject to antiaircraft fire in the same way as air units. If attacking along with land units from adjacent territories, paratroopers may retreat as normal.

What that wall of text doesn’t include is an increase to the Attack value of any Infantry used as Paratroopers. But to be fair, those rules also don’t call for separate Paratrooper units to be built but instead you either pack some guys into the bomb bay of Bomber and “bomb” the enemy with an Infantry or you fling a couple Infantry two or three spaces forward using some planes hanging around a handy air base.

Is there room for both? Infantry tossed out the back of an Air Transport, no increase in attack value but present for the fight AND combat units specially selected and trained for conducting Airborne Assaults, which subsequently receive a +1 to their Attack when used as they were meant to be used and when used as straight leg Infantry, fight as such with no bonuses?

I think there is room for both in A&A…

-Midnight_Reaper

• 1st round 3, 2nd round 2, third round latter 1

They are shock troops and have limited supplies, they fade as they fight

defend at 2

cost 5, one per bomber

• @Imperious:

1st round 3, 2nd round 2, third round latter 1

They are shock troops and have limited supplies, they fade as they fight

defend at 2

cost 5, one per bomber

I’m guessing you missed the part where they weren’t arriving via bomber but instead on their own Air Transport units. To be fair, I discussed that in the first post and no where else. Nobody seemed to want to discuss that part.

For completeness:
    @Midnight_Reaper:

Cargo Planes
    Unit Name      IPC Cost ATK DEF MOVE Notes
    Air Transport      8        0    1    6    Noted by Country Marker or an Airborne disc beneath Fighter or Bomber. Can carry one Infantry or Paratroopers unit. May be used to help a Paratroopers unit perform an Airborne Assault.

Air Transport - The humble cargo aircraft, this unit has 3x the speed and 1/3 the capacity of regular Transports. Noted by Country Marker disc or an HBG Airborne marker beneath Fighter or Bomber. Used to help Paratroopers conduct Airborne Assaults.

Transports cost 8 IPCs, have a move of 2, and can carry 3 Infantry or 1 Armor and 1 Infantry.
    {snip}

I think I figured out a way to balance increased attack value against the fact that Paratroopers didn’t really last long in the field, especially by themselves.

Paratroopers
    Unit Name    IPC Cost ATK DEF MOVE Notes
    Paratroopers      4      1*  2    1    Noted by Country Marker or an Airborne disc beneath an Infantry.

• Paratroopers attack increases to 2 when doing an Airborne Assault. In every round of combat where Paratroopers have done an Airborne Assault, the first offensive casualty of the round must be a Paratrooper.

This is a self-limiting system. Paratroopers keep their attack of 2 for conducting an Airborne Assault, but are guaranteed to only be around for a number of rounds equal to the number of Paratroopers in the attack. An example might help explain things:

US forces, consisting of 2 Armor and 8 Infantry, invade Western Europe from off the Atlantic coast. Also, 3 US Fighters, 2 US Bombers, and 5 US Air Transports carrying 5 US Paratroopers (which all attack at 2) come from the UK to Western Europe arrive to help.

So, we have 2 Armor, 8 Infantry, 3 Fighters, 2 Bombers, 5 Air Transports, and 5 Paratroopers. The German player may roll 10 dice at 1 due to AAA in Western Europe. Germany scores 3 hits. US Player takes 2 Fighters and 1 Air Transport (which is carrying 1 Paratrooper) as casualties, leaving the US with 2 Armor, 8 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 2 Bombers, 4 Air Transports, and 4 Paratroopers (which all attack at 2).

US Player rolls his attack, scoring 6 hits. German players rolls his defense, scoring 4 hits. At this point, the Air Transports can not be taken as casualties. US Player must take 1 Paratrooper as a casualty and takes 3 Infantry to satisfy the other 3 hits, leaving the US with 2 Armor, 5 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 2 Bombers, 4 Air Transports, and 3 Paratroopers (which all continue to attack at 2).

US Player rolls his next attack, scoring 7 hits. This takes out the German player, who gets his defense all the same, scoring 3 hits. US Player must take 1 Paratrooper as a casualty and takes 2 Infantry to satisfy the other 2 hits, leaving the US with 2 Armor, 3 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 2 Bombers, 4 Air Transports, and 2 Paratroopers (which all would continue to attack at 2).

After Non-Combat Movement, the planes all fly away, leaving the US in possession of Western Europe with 2 Armor, 3 Infantry, and 2 Paratroopers (which are no longer conducting an Airborne Assault and therefore would attack at 1 until their Airborne Assault status changes).

Clear as mud?

-Midnight_Reaper

• weren’t arriving via bomber but instead on their own Air Transport units

Well that adds another unit that just does that. Which is fine, but for that other unit

0-1-6-12  ( carries 1 unit in combat or 2 in non-combat)  don’t consider anything cheaper, it wont work. Tried it.

Also, you cant drop farther than 2 spaces from nearest land unit.

• @Imperious:

weren’t arriving via bomber but instead on their own Air Transport units

Well that adds another unit that just does that. Which is fine, but for that other unit

0-1-6-12  ( carries 1 unit in combat or 2 in non-combat)  don’t consider anything cheaper, it wont work. Tried it.

Also, you cant drop farther than 2 spaces from nearest land unit.

Would 0-0-6-8 (can carry one (1) Infantry or Paratrooper in Combat or Non-Combat Movement (not both in one turn), not eligible to be taken as a casualty except when fired on by AAA) work?

It loses its defense value and is taken last in combat (and can’t shoot back). At this point, all that unit would be good for is moving infantry and parachute infantry around. I don’t see it being worth 12 IPCs when it can shoot back and can be taken as a defensive casualty but I really can’t see it being worth more that 8 IPCs when it can’t shoot back and can’t be taken as a casualty.

Are other players that hard up for units that move fast and die faster?

-Midnight_Reaper

• In my game I have Air Transport plane A0 D0 M5 C8. Can carry 2 inf in non combat only. But if you get Paratrooper Tech can carry 2 inf for combat. Anzac likes this plane.

But thinking of adding the Paratroopers to US, UK, Germany and Italy in game. Only use 1 in combat.
    Then if you get Paratroopers Tech at least Japan and Russia get Paratroopers in game.

• @SS:

In my game I have Air Transport plane A0 D0 M5 C8. Can carry 2 inf in non combat only. But if you get Paratrooper Tech can carry 2 inf for combat. Anzac likes this plane.

But thinking of adding the Paratroopers to US, UK, Germany and Italy in game. Only use 1 in combat.
    Then if you get Paratroopers Tech at least Japan and Russia get Paratroopers in game.

There are just the five powers in Classic (Germany, Japan, UK, USA, and USSR). When I trot out my house rules, I normally give 1 Air Transport and 1 Paratrooper at the start of the game to Japan, UK, USA, and USSR and 2 of each to Germany. They are placed in the respective capital territories.

Expanding out to G40, I would probably do it this way… nothing for China; 1 each Air Trans and Para. to ANZAC, France, Italy; 2 each for Japan, UK, USA, and USSR and 3 of each to Germany.

I would probably replace Paratrooper Tech with something else as well. But that’s me.

-Midnight_Reaper

• An 8 IPC air transport carrying a unit 6 spaces is worth far more than a sea transport. You all need to increase the cost to 12

• @Imperious:

An 8 IPC air transport carrying a unit 6 spaces is worth far more than a sea transport. You all need to increase the cost to 12

I’m going with C10 A0 D0 M5. I have only a few airbases in my game and my Stg Bombers C10 anyway. I only have Paratroopers in game if you get the Tech. If I put in Paratroopers in game period then I’ll make plane C12 A0 D1 M5  carry 2 inf NC and 1 inf Combat.
    get the tech can carry 2 inf in Combat.

• @Imperious:

An 8 IPC air transport carrying a unit 6 spaces is worth far more than a sea transport. You all need to increase the cost to 12

I am only charging 10 IPCs for Fighters, I don’t see charging more than that for planes that can neither attack or defend. But I do agree that fast moving reinforcements are very useful. So, let’s make them 10 IPCs units as well for now.

To re-cap what I am going with for my rule set from all that has been discussed in this thread:

Paratroopers
    Paratroopers      4      1*  2    1    Noted by Country Marker or an Airborne disc beneath an Infantry.

• Paratroopers attack increases to 2 when doing an Airborne Assault. In every round of combat where Paratroopers have done an Airborne Assault, the first offensive casualty of the round must be a Paratrooper.

Cargo Planes
    Air Transport    10      0    0    6    Noted by Country Marker or an Airborne disc beneath Fighter or Bomber. Can carry one Infantry or Paratroopers unit. May be used to help a Paratroopers unit perform an Airborne Assault.

Paratroopers - The “Poor Bloody Infantry”, now with wings. Can be noted by Country Marker disc or an HBG Airborne marker beneath an Infantry. Paratroopers attack increases to 2 when doing an Airborne Assault OR when combined with Artillery. Combining both bonuses is not allowed.

Air Transport - A grouping of the humble cargo aircraft, this unit has 3x the speed and 1/3 the capacity of regular Transports. Can be noted by Country Marker disc or an HBG Airborne marker beneath Fighter or Bomber. Used to help Paratroopers conduct Airborne Assaults. Except for satisfying hits from AAA, Air Transports can not be taken as casualties in either Attack or Defense and are simply all destroyed if they are the last units present in a defending territory.

For context, in my rule set Transports cost 8 IPCs, have a defense of 1 and a move of 2, and can carry 3 Infantry or 1 (Armor or AAA) and 1 Infantry.

Airborne Assault - During the Combat Movement phase, a power may declare an Airborne Assault. The territory to be attacked by the Airborne Assault must be within the range of at least one of that power’s Air Transports. (Air Transports must end their movement at a friendly territory, no different from any other Combat Movement by an aircraft unit.) Additionally, the territory receiving the Airborne Assault must be no further away than two (ground and/or sea) territories with friendly ground units.
        The Air Transports conducting an Airborne Assault are subject to AAA fire, as per normal rules. If the Air Transport is successful at arriving over the drop zone, (i.e. is not shot down by anti-aircraft fire) then the attacking unit adds a +1 to its attack roll for the duration of that battle. The Air Transport can not be taken as a casualty to satisfy a Land Combat hit taken while fighting the Airborne Assault.
        In every round of combat where Paratroopers have done an Airborne Assault, the first offensive casualty of the round must be a Paratrooper. This is a self-limiting system. Paratroopers keep their attack of 2 for conducting an Airborne Assault for the duration of the Airborne Assault, but are only guaranteed to be around for a number of rounds equal to the number of Paratroopers in the attack.

-Midnight_Reaper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m