Fighters on a freshly built Carrier 1942

• '17 '16

Hello… I was watching a video on 1942SE strategies on Youtube, when the video SPECIFICALLY stated placing fighters on freshly built carriers same turn (as long as they were in the adjacent land territory)… in his case, he built a new carrier off England, and immediately moved fighters from England onto the freshly built carrier… he did the same with fighters in Eastern US onto a newly built US carrier off the east coast.

For clarification, the fighters themselves were not new, only the carriers, the fighters pre-existed and he said as long as that was the case and they were adjacent they could immediately be placed on the newly built carriers.

I don’t remember seeing this as something one could do in 1942… did I miss this, or is the guy who made the strategy video mis-informed?

• Rulebook states:

@rulebook:

Only fighters can land in a sea zone with a friendly carrier present. A landing spot must be available on the carrier.
    Additionally:

• A fighter can land in a sea zone (even a hostile one) that is adjacent to an industrial complex you own if you will be
      mobilizing an aircraft carrier that you previously purchased in that zone during the Mobilize New Units phase.

• In order for a fighter to land on a carrier, both units must END their movement in the same sea zone.

• You must have a carrier move, remain in place, or be mobilized (new carriers only) to pick up a fighter that would
      end its noncombat movement in a sea zone. You cannot deliberately move an air unit out of range of a potential safe
      landing space.

and

@rulebook:

Place fighters into territories containing an industrial complex controlled by your power from the start of your turn, or on an
    aircraft carrier owned by your power in a sea zone (even a hostile one) adjacent to a territory with such an industrial complex.
    The aircraft carrier may be either a new one currently being mobilized, or an existing one already in place. You cannot place a
    new fighter on a carrier owned by a friendly power.

So existing fighters that are to be landed on a new to placed carrier must move to the respective seazone during their NCM.
    You are right, you cannot move existing fighters onto new carriers during the “Mobilize New Units”-phase.

HTH :-)

• '17 '16

okay… so an existing fighter has to end its NCM in the sea zone in anticipation of the carrier being placed there… and a newly created fighter CAN be placed on a carrier (pre-existing or newly placed) if its adjacent to the IC the fighter is produced at.

• That’s right Wolf.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

This rule is incredibly cheezy, since it violates the turn order.  However, it seems to be intended to address the problem of defending newly built ships/fleets at sea which has been a constant problem since the 1984 edition.

The mega-cheese factor is when this rule allows attacks to be made that otherwise cannot be.  Only upon the placement of a carrier at a certain factory (at the end of the turn) does an attack made at the beginning of the turn become legal.  If the fighters/planes died during combat instead, the carrier can be placed at any factory, not the one required to make the landing.

“With only a few drops of fuel left after the raid, Honzo piloted his shining Kate onto towards the Kure Naval Yard, and just as the last few planks of teak decking were laid on Zuikaku and she was being pushed out of the drydock, he made a spectacular landing into the wind, taxing past the cheering shipyard workers.”

Realism 1 Gamery 0

• @taamvan:

This rule is incredibly cheezy, since it violates the turn order.   However, it seems to be intended to address the problem of defending newly built ships/fleets at sea which has been a constant problem since the 1984 edition.

I don’t really feel it violates the turn order massively. If you consider the NCM as the phase fighters carryout their remaining movement, as opposed to landing, then the fighters are simply returning to their landing spot in the NCM.

@taamvan:

“With only a few drops of fuel left after the raid, Honzo piloted his shining Kate onto towards the Kure Naval Yard, and just as the last few planks of teak decking were laid on Zuikaku and she was being pushed out of the drydock, he made a spectacular landing into the wind, taxing past the cheering shipyard workers.”

Is this an actual real world event?  :-o

• '17 '16

Pretty sure that was creative writing… also, since the Zuikaku was already in-service before the war…

• '21 '20 '18 '17

“I don’t really feel it violates the turn order massively. If you consider the NCM as the phase fighters carryout their remaining movement, as opposed to landing, then the fighters are simply returning to their landing spot in the NCM.”

Yes I think you are missing what I’m saying, that noncom is complete and over before deployment begins and the carrier officially exists, except in this one cheezy but necessary case.  Also, as I said, you must deploy the carrier directly under the planes if they survive the turn; if they don’t you can place it anywhere, which means

“since the Zuikaku was already in-service before the war…”

Not before the sino-japanese war (1937 zuikaku deployed 1939), which I believe included IJN air raids.  I didn’t say what unit Honzo belongs to or what raid he is returning from.

Artistic License; 1, Anachronistic Critique, 0.

• '17 '16

Since we are in the “Axis and Allies 1942SE” forum, this was my question about the 1942 game, and the Zuikaku was indeed in-service well-before 1942…

Factual account relevant of Zuikaku; 1, weak attempt to counter facts; 0

• @taamvan:

Also, as I said, you must deploy the carrier directly under the planes if they survive the turn; if they don’t you can place it anywhere

You can do the same thing when you declare you’re going to bring an existing carrier up in NCM for fighters to land on after a battle is over. If the fighters die, you don’t have to move the carrier. Reference the “Pearl Harbor light” opening for Japan.

It’s a board game, not a historical simulation.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m