• '17 '16

@ShadowHAwk:

Well even in the netherlands there are plenty of people to find to play boardgames with. The board is full of people in the US that want to play A&A.

With the United States at 3.8 million square miles (9.8 million km2) and with over 324 million people, maybe there’s a few thousand that do play, but none are anywhere near Pensacola, Florida where I play (or at least they’re in hiding and I don’t know of them).  Yes, PB-mail/board whatever, but I’m talking face-to-face play, which is just super hard to find… I’m glad others on this board have face to face partners close by, but just because YOU do, doesn’t mean everyone has a bunch of people wanting to play face-to-face next door.

I’m happy so many people have regular face-to-face people to play… but not everyone is in the same boat, so please don’t assume just because your situation is a certain way that everyone else is the same too.  I have one friend who’d like to play, but he’s the kind of guy who always has this or that going on and it’s always a “next weekend” thing that never happens.  I’m willing to work with someone who’s not so great at A&A over having nobody to play.

Having said that, if anybody is passing through Pensacola Florida and wants a nice game of A&A, buzz me!  :-D

• '21 '18 '16

typically only the first round should take any considerable amount of time. J1 attack go or no go. G1 assault on UK fleet and France, then the NCM position for attacking russia. UK deciding on its position in Egypt, etc.

As far as your friend who won’t do what YOU want him to do,
    we draw tokens to see who is who. France and China are omitted of course. Randomize the player assignments and then your buddy will have to do something else eventually and maybe he will see USSR played as you want it or even better by someone else.

This is a positive way to make it work without alienating your friend. He is your friend and it is only a game not worth losing a buddy for.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Simon33,

Yes, we set up at the game shop at 10AM when it opens, and end around 5-6PM.  Game 111 is tomorrow at 10AM.

At least 45 people were in that store a few weeks ago on Saturday, 2 pathfinder groups, 1 star wars rpg, 1 coed birthday party playing group games all day, 1 axis and allies crew (us), 3-4 painters, 1 star wars ttwg, 1 new homebrewed game demo, ticket to ride, 20+ shoppers at any given hour.

It is a golden age of gaming in Kansas City.  If you build the game room, they will come.

• Sean: Russia is the easiest country to play when ANZAC is combined with something else… if someone is struggling to master the tactics for this easy power, they will fail even more miserably when controlling anything else.  If it takes 30 minutes to think about moves for Russia, think how long it would take for a complicated country like Germany, Japan, or USA!

There are some people who should find another game besides A&A since the game is not very enjoyable if one player is extremely weak to the point where the ending is a foregone conclusion given enough patience.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Wolfshanze:

but none are anywhere near Pensacola, Florida where I play (or at least they’re in hiding and I don’t know of them)

I found one!

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32848.0

• At least your guys problem is different from mine. The people I play with are smart enough to change tactics when needed but because I have spent 20 years playing with them, we all know each others plans and that gets boring. I actually forced everyone including myself to play a different country just to see a different game.

• '17 '16

@Herr:

@Wolfshanze:

but none are anywhere near Pensacola, Florida where I play (or at least they’re in hiding and I don’t know of them)

I found one!

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32848.0

Thank you Herr KaLeun… it’s a two year old post, but i’ll take a shot and see if he’s still around… sent him a PM and posted in his thread.

• Wish you good luck Wolfsschanze, maybe there are more out there then you thought.

• '17 '16

@aequitas:

Wish you good luck Wolfsschanze, maybe there are more out there then you thought.

Nope… heard back from him… unfortunately (as it was an old post), he has since moved out of the area… all alone in Pensacola with no A&A partners for face to face…  :-(

• '21 '20 '18 '17

See you in Indy, Wolf!

Its a drive but its worth it…

• '19 '17 '16

@taamvan:

Simon33,

Yes, we set up at the game shop at 10AM when it opens, and end around 5-6PM.  Game 111 is tomorrow at 10AM.

Wow. How many rounds does such a game go for? Typically, the first round goes for about 1.5-2 hours in my experience. Later rounds might be under an hour but I can’t see getting to 10 rounds in this time unless you play significantly faster than my experience.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m