Expanding Board Game pieces

• @Wolfshanze:

WWII Equipment is a hobby of mine… I literally have scores of books (just a few posted below, and I just noticed my daughters pokemon snuck onto my shelf) in my private library in my study about equipment from all the powers in WWII… tanks, fighters, bombers, ships of all types, etc, etc.  I completely rewrote an over 300 unit database for the PC game Pacific General back in the day, and i’m just a stickler for things like this… I would lose sleep moving Japanese tigers across Asia!

I’m getting the impression that you and I operate on very similar wavelengths (in addition to having similar bookshelves, though minus the Pokemons for me).  There’s a funny Monty Python sketch that I can relate to very well, and may also be the case with you.  The sketch takes place around 1900 in the gondola of a Zeppelin, where an airborne cocktail party is being hosted by Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin.  The gondola is full of German officers with spiked helmets who are chit-chatting and drinking champagne.  One of the officers walks over to the proud inventor and says, “Ah, Graf von Zeppelin, zees is a magnificent balloon you have built for ze German Army!”  The Count blows a fuse and roars in outrage, “Zees is not a balloon, zees is a dirigible airship!”  He then tosses the offending officer out the door, causing him to fall to his death.  A moment later, another officer makes the same unfortunate remark to the Count and meets the same fate.  The Count ends up hurling the entire German General Staff out of the gondola one by one.

• @CWO:

I’m getting the impression that you and I operate on very similar wavelengths ….

OMG - I hope we’re not going to have a dewy-eyed duet about the wonders of Flambeau Zerust plastic tackle boxes from the two of you! :-D

• '17 '16

By Grabthar’s hammer, by the suns of Worvan, Flambeau’s Zerust plastic tackle boxes shall be avenged!

• You recognised the pic then! 8-)

• '17 '16

Marc, we may have similar thoughts on WWII equipment representation in game, but I’m heavily leaning towards a Stanley 25-bin Removeable Organizer(s) over the Flambeau Zerust plastic tackle box(s).

Also… balloons vs dirigibles maybe funny… but nothing is funny as the World’s Funniest Joke… lethal at over 50 yards, seeing two words of it will land you in the hospital for weeks… it ended WWII, and Hitler never could reproduce something as funny, despite Nazi Germany’s best efforts at a funny joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ienp4J3pW7U

• @Wolfshanze:

Marc, we may have similar thoughts on WWII equipment representation in game, but I’m heavily leaning towards a Stanley 25-bin Removeable Organizer(s) over the Flambeau Zerust plastic tackle box(s).

Which is fine.  I wasn’t saying that the Flambeau boxes are any kind of ideal choice for everyone; I was simply saying that they work well for me and for my particular requirements.

• '17 '16

I haven’t bought anything yet, but i’m definitely window shopping and taking a gander at everything i’d LIKE to get, starting this weekend.  Still recovering from taking the kids to Orlando earlier this month!  Hands-on starts this weekend.  Couple more days, can’t wait, then I start playing around with stuff again!

• @Wolfshanze:

I haven’t bought anything yet, but i’m definitely window shopping and taking a gander at everything i’d LIKE to get, starting this weekend.Â

Very sensible.  A good officer always weighs his options carefully before committing his forces.

• @Wolfshanze:

I’d be glad to hear your opinion of HBG’s custom sculpts… if I just want to enlarge my copy of 1942 SE’s available force pool… are there any must haves or must avoids?

I think that there are definitely some must-haves.  Personally and I may be alone on this, but I’m not too crazy about HBG’s very early releases, such as their first German set.  I find that the quality of those sculpts is just a bit “off”, but HBG totally won me over with their last few sets, starting with the Russian Early War set.  IMO, that’s when their quality level jumped up noticeably, and the sets that they’ve done since then, the Japan, UK, and US Expansion Sets (as opposed to the Supplement Sets), have been excellent/A+.

Also, just in case you don’t know, some of their battle pieces are of various scales to the effect of: Heavy Tank, Medium Tank, Light Tank, in order to accommodate games which incorporate those.  So, right off the bat, I want to let you know that the US Pershing and the custom German Tiger are large pieces, so if you’re just playing A&A and you want to keep the piece size to a minimum to save space (like I am), that’s something to be aware of.  Likewise, the Japanese G8N Riga and UK/ANZAC Sterling Heavy Bomber pieces are relatively large, and so is the 155mm M1A1 Heavy Artillery.

There is one piece that I would advise you to avoid, which is the Swordfish Naval Fighter.  I really want to love the Swordfish sculpt, but many of mine have tails that are slightly twisted… and I’ve read on this forum that you might be able to fix this by dunking the piece in hot water, and then cold water, but I haven’t had the time to try this yet.  If I do, I’ll post about it.

Anyway, on to the recommendations!  The following are pieces that I particularly appreciate and would like to recommend.

United States —

The M4A3 Sherman is my favorite piece.  I replaced all of my original US tanks with these.  They’re solid, they’re molded really well, they “fit right in” and look awesome on your board.
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/5X-M4A3-Sherman-Medium-Tank–Olive-Drab_p_2087.html

The US Late War Infantry look fantastic.  Again, this one fits-in on your board perfectly, the proportions of the trooper’s head, boots, et cetera, are spot on. A+
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/5X-US-Late-War-Infantry-w-MG–Olive-Drab_p_2078.html

I’m very happy with my P-80 Shooting Stars.  They’re a nice solid sculpt with thick features that won’t bend or warp.
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/5X-P-80-Shooting-Star-Jet-Fighter–Olive-Drab_p_2095.html

Japan –-

The Type 89 Cannon is very solid. Grade A.
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/5X-Type-89-Cannon-Heavy-Artillery–Pumpkin-Orange_p_1764.html

The J9Y Kikka Jet is solid as well and looks absolutely vicious!  It’s a great opponent for your P-80 Shooting Star.  This one deserves an A+.
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/5X-J9Y-Kikka-Jet-Fighters–Pumpkin-Orange_p_1796.html

UK / ANZAC –-

The Humber Scout Car makes for a great Mechanized Infantry piece, IMO.  I use them alongside my original out-of-box M5 half-tracks in that role.  In my experience, about 1 out of 5 of these seem to have a crooked gun or a bent turret, but the coolness of this piece is worth it anyway.  It’s otherwise solid, the wheels look great.  It’s an A-.
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/5X-Humber-Scout-Car–UK-Tan_p_1887.html

The Churchill Heavy Tank is a somewhat large piece, but I had to get this one anyway, and I’m glad that I did.  Again, about 1 out of 5 of mine had issues, again with the turret.  Just want to let you know that if you go with these, you might end up benching 1 or 2 duds like I did.  However, the ones that look good, look great! So, they’re worth it.  A- for these.
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/5X-Churchill-Heavy-Tank–UK-Tan_p_1891.html

Russia –-

The KV-2 Heavy Tank is a beast.  It’s about the same length as the out-of-box T-34, the turret is appropriately tall. The piece feels very solid and weighty. Highly recommended.
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Battle-Pieces–Russia-Early-War-KV-2-Heavy-Tank_p_1146.html

Hope this has been helpful.  Have fun with your new collection!  Let me know what you get.

• '17 '16

I scored 1941 this weekend… with all 10 pieces for the five countries… what a let down… and half of them are all the wrong sculpts (like Joseph Stalin tanks for the US, and Tiger tanks for the Japs)… with as few pieces that come with 1941, its amazing the game is even playable out of the box (I won’t even attempt it till i get more units from HBG and 1942).

I have 1942 SE already en-route via mail, and I ordered nearly $100 bucks worth of HBG sculpts (placed a 2nd order when I realized “i wasn’t done”).  I bought a bunch of early war US HBG Shermans to completely replace the Shermans that come with 1942… i wasn’t impressed with the 1942 Sherman… also some Pershings, F4Fs, Essex CVs, South Dakota and Nevada BBs, Japanese Type-97 tanks, Nagato BB, Fuso BB, and well… a bunch of other stuff (for each nation)… I really, Really, REALLY wanted something for England besides Matildas… either the Valentines or Churchills would have done, but both were out of stock (bummer).  I’m surprised there’s no Cruiser tanks available for the UK.  There weren’t very many Matilda’s in England’s arsenal, and they were quickly abandoned for just about any other type of tank.  Oh well… it’s better Matilda’s then English Joseph Stalin tanks! lolz.

I also ordered some Battle Bucks from HBG… I have the classic IPC’s from my 1984 A&A Classic, but they were heavily used and I think the HBG set looks nicer anyways.  I’m scavenging the 12 Industrial Plants from my A&A Classic, but knowing that barely covers what is initially placed in 1942, I wanted more than a couple spares… HBG is constantly out, but I was able to scoop up another dozen Industrial Plants off E-Bay for $5 bucks, so now I have plenty of Industrial Plants.

Now its just the waiting game for everything I ordered to come in.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Wolfshanze:

I’d be glad to hear your opinion of HBG’s custom sculpts… if I just want to enlarge my copy of 1942 SE’s available force pool… are there any must haves or must avoids?

I know you didn’t ask for my opinion, but some of the FMG sculpts (depending on how many remain) are also worthy of consideration, especially since an Italian set is not yet on HBG’s radar.

This is the best piece by far and one of the best aftermarket sculpts ever, IMO:
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Semovente-10525-Tank–Italy-FMG-Combat-Units-Tank-2_p_615.html

Unfortunately, they are out of stock, for a couple reasons. Not sure if they are still available from FMG directly or not. I bought as many as I could a while back, I just think they are darn cool. Technically it is SPA and not a tank, but you could easily use it for armor.

EDIT: Just realized you were asking about 1942. Which I don’t think has Italy playable. If so, nevermind… but if you ever need Italians, see if you can grab any of them. Well worth it.

• '17 '16

Ya, i’ll probably be sticking to 1941 (to teach my kids and a friend of mine) and then moving over to 1942 (my actual goal, I don’t really care for 1941 beyond a teaching tool)… Global 1940 isn’t really on the table for the foreseeable future due to the fact besides myself, I don’t know who I’d play and/or have time for it.

I already have both 1941 and 1942SE now… and I’m just waiting on all my extra HBG sculpts to come in (I ordered quite a few).  So ya, I doubt Italy will be a playable nation for me (unfortunately, they always get the shaft, but I like playing them when they’re an option).

I just realized yesterday that FMG is a separate entity from HBG (silly me)… I got confused because they both seem to offer the same stuff… like Combat Dice that are out of stock at HBG but in stock at FMG?  I’ll have to take a gander at FMG’s sculpts… I am waiting on my ton of sculpts coming from HBG… I did order quite a few, but thanks for the heads-up on FMG sculpts!

@Wolfshanze:

I just realized yesterday that FMG is a separate entity from HBG (silly me)… I got confused because they both seem to offer the same stuff… like Combat Dice that are out of stock at HBG but in stock at FMG?  I’ll have to take a gander at FMG’s sculpts… I am waiting on my ton of sculpts coming from HBG… I did order quite a few, but thanks for the heads-up on FMG sculpts!

I would just caution you to be careful when buying from Field Marshal Games directly. I have read about multiple people having a hard time getting their orders processed and communication from the company. I am quite certain that FMG’s battle pieces production is defunct also… so I would do some further research or try to get in touch with them before placing orders. You may spend money and never see anything for it. I have always found it better to go through HBG when possible.

• '17 '16

Ya, I noticed the thread about FMG after I already ordered from FMG… all I ordered from FMG was Combat Dice and a pouch (for the dice)… I’ve already been charged, and I’m hearing mixed things about FMG… mostly that people do seem to get their orders… eventually, with little to no communication from FMG.  So long as I get my dice, I will be happy, and that will probably be the end of my ordering from them… I looked over their sculpt/unit section… aside from some nice Italian units (which I’ll probably never have a use for since I don’t see myself playing 1940), everything they offer is just HBG stuff.

Over the last several days, I’ve actually made 6 separate orders from HBG (admitted sculpt junkie here)… 5 of which have already shipped, so definitely no complaints with HBG.  I just want my dice from FMG, then i’ll be done with them.

Yeah, I mean I have no personal experience ordering from them, but communication is very important to me. If I don’t have that communication it feels like I am not valued as a customer. I guess for me the ends do not justify the means. I am reticent to even try with FMG. Just my two cents. Hope you get your stuff though.

• '17 '16

@LHoffman:

Yeah, I mean I have no personal experience ordering from them, but communication is very important to me. If I don’t have that communication it feels like I am not valued as a customer. I guess for me the ends do not justify the means. I am reticent to even try with FMG. Just my two cents. Hope you get your stuff though.

If you don’t have Combat Dice, and you love A&A, I think you owe yourself one really bad customer service experience to get them.  Took about two weeks from ordering to having them on-hand, with essentially no contact from FMG.

So ya… FMG sucks for customer service, and that seems to be everyone’s experience… but they do (eventually) deliver… and having those combat dice is worth the one bad service order.  I love those dice, and i’ll have them as long as I play A&A.

@Wolfshanze:

If you don’t have Combat Dice, and you love A&A, I think you owe yourself one really bad customer service experience to get them.  Took about two weeks from ordering to having them on-hand, with essentially no contact from FMG.

So ya… FMG sucks for customer service, and that seems to be everyone’s experience… but they do (eventually) deliver… and having those combat dice is worth the one bad service order.  I love those dice, and i’ll have them as long as I play A&A.

For some reason I have never like special combat dice all that much, whether from HBG or someone else. I guess I am a traditionalist and prefer normal dice or something. Kind of like how I prefer regular playing cards as opposed to themed playing card decks… even like spotter cards and stuff. They are cool and all, and I have a bunch of different kinds, but I always prefer seeing the normal numbers, suits and face cards. Just my preference I guess.

Plus, it has been my experience that during actual gameplay people just use whatever dice are handy, or seem to be rolling well for them. Same thing in Risk. The way we play, I just feel like they would end up getting all mixed up anyway.

Now if we had a good, permanent, organized setup like a custom table, I could see the dice being used more exclusively by their owners. Maybe some day.

Good to hear that you got them and they are serving you well. I have only heard good things about them from everyone who has bought them.

• '17 '16

@LHoffman:

For some reason I have never like special combat dice all that much, whether from HBG or someone else. I guess I am a traditionalist and prefer normal dice or something. Kind of like how I prefer regular playing cards as opposed to themed playing card decks… even like spotter cards and stuff. They are cool and all, and I have a bunch of different kinds, but I always prefer seeing the normal numbers, suits and face cards. Just my preference I guess.

Plus, it has been my experience that during actual gameplay people just use whatever dice are handy, or seem to be rolling well for them. Same thing in Risk. The way we play, I just feel like they would end up getting all mixed up anyway.

I can totally respect that opinion.  A couple of things I can say in the dice’s defense, the national roundels replace the “1’s” on all the dice… and when a “1” always means a hit in A&A, whenever you see your nations roundel in the dice tray, you know you’re hitting!  The second thing, is that the dice match the color of the country it represents… and even with traditional dice, this is hard to match… oh sure, you can find Black dice or Green dice… but try finding TAN dice or MAROON dice… man, that’s hard to do!

While I know each game (1941, 1942 and 1940) all have different requirements/expectations as to how many dice one my be rolling in a given battle, I look at it this way… with Combat Dice, I got 6 for each nation (30 total)… and any way you slice it, that’s a lot more than the traditional dice you get out of the box (oh sure, I know most people add extra dice, I did too… just with Combat Dice instead of normal dice).

Funny you mentioned Risk… I recently tricked out my own version of Risk at the house, and one of the things I did, was make sure each nation in Risk had dice that matched their army tray (Blue for Blue armies, Yellow for Yellow armies, Grey for Grey armies, etc). So ya, i’m funny about dice.

Nonetheless, I do hear you… its just not your thing, and I totally respect that. But man, I do love these dice, and the kids got a kick out of having dice that matched the country they are playing!

P.S.
    one thing I always find amusing, is people selling dice specific to a game on E-Bay… like “Original Axis and Allies Dice” (and not specialty dice like Combat Dice, we’re talking just every-day, plain-old 1-through-6 dice, usually in white, black or red)… ummm… ya, dice are dice man… if I just wanted extra dice, i’d just go buy some extra dice.

• Sponsor

I only use them when I need a 1, especially if I’m trying to shoot down bombers during SBRs… I’m always saying stuff like “COMMON, SHOW ME THAT PAINT… DADDY NEEDS SOME PAINT”.

• Ha Ha YG. I perfer the rounded corners on all dice. Just seems they roll better.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m