Why the Germans did not build four engined bombers…

• @Lieutenant:

Sorry IL, I’m bored at work and this thread is helping me stay awake   :-D

Kurt, I agree that the Western Allies abandoned the Poles. But that doesn’t address my question. Did Hitler and the Nazi’s not expect a blockade to result from the invasion of Poland? I thought the British and French had both publicly pledged to defend the Poles. Yes, its true they broke their promise to open a second front. It still seems to me that Hitler should have recognized that invading Poland would result in war with the UK and France, and war with the UK would result in a blockade. Even if there was only a 10% chance of the UK joining the war and starting a blockade, that would still mean Hitler was willing to risk millions of innocent lives to begin his invasion.
    Basically, if, as you say, the allies knew that a blockade would result in starvation, why didn’t Hitler know the same? I’m sure the German government knew how badly they needed food imports, and how likely a blockade was if war began with the UK. Why did they risk starving Europe by invading Poland?

It still seems to me that Hitler should have recognized that invading Poland would result in
    war with the UK and France, and war with the UK would result in a blockade.

A fair and reasonable point to make.

John Toland is the author of the book Adolf Hitler. Toland’s book has been praised by the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and other similar media outlets. Below is a quote from pages 566 - 567:

[A.I.] Berndt [a German government official] thought the reported number of German nationals killed by Poles too small and simply added a nought. At first Hitler refused to believe such a figure but, when Berndt replied that it may have been somewhat exaggerated but something monstrous must have happened to give rise to such stories, Hitler shouted “They’ll pay for this! Now no one will stop me from teaching these fellows a lesson they’ll never forget! I will not have my Germans butchered like cattle!” At this point the Fuhrer went to the phone and, in Berndt’s presence, ordered Keitel to issue “Directive No. 1 for the Conduct of the War.”

Hitler’s desire to protect German nationals living in Polish-occupied territory probably explains one of his reasons for going to war. Also, Poland engaged in a series of behaviors which, collectively, sent signals about its intentions:

• Killing of German nationals (as described above)
    • Refusal to negotiate with Germany
    • Refusal to make any territorial concessions to Germany, even though just a year earlier Hitler had given Poland a portion of Czechoslovakia. Hitler had thought–mistakenly–that this gesture would mark the beginning of good relations between Poland and Germany.

Poland’s actions went above and beyond merely standing up to attempted German bullying. They amounted to a decision to actively court war with Germany. Poland’s leaders were not stupid or insane. They knew that Poland alone could not stand up to Germany. The only reason Poland could have for adopting such a belligerent stance was if someone had made very tempting promises to it. (The dishonest French promises I’d described in my earlier post.) While the Germans were not privy to the secret promises the French had made to the Polish, they could see the effect those promises had on the attitudes and actions of the Polish. Hitler appears to have concluded–correctly–that Britain and France had decided to go to war against Germany.

Germany had nothing to gain from such a war. Hitler’s plans for Lebensraum did not involve France: his focus was on the east. A war against Britain would be even more fruitless from the German perspective. Hitler wanted to throw all Germany’s military strength against the Soviet Union, without dealing with Western democratic food blockades, or bombing raids, or useless battles in Africa or Italy.

However, if British and French leaders had firmly decided on war, there was an excellent chance that sooner or later they’d get their wish. Britain and France were rapidly expanding their military production. Germany was in a greater position of relative strength in 1939 than it could expect to be later, if it passively waited.

Hitler knew that the Soviet Union was unready for war in 1939. But he also knew it was only a matter of time before that changed. If the Western democracies succeeded in provoking a war with Germany, and if Germany lost a significant portion of its military strength as a result, then sooner or later the Soviet Union would join the Allied side, in order to begin helping itself to German territory. Even if the Western democracies didn’t succeed in getting their war with Germany, a fully militarized, fully industrialized Soviet Union could have rolled right over Germany, at least assuming Germany had made no territorial conquests in the meantime. The major Western democracies would have done absolutely nothing to stop this offensive. They probably would have welcomed it.

Hitler’s hope in 1939 was to begin the war against the Western democracies early; and to end that war early as well. The sooner it ended, the sooner he could do what he really wanted; which was to focus all his attention on the Soviet Union. He knew that invading Poland was not a safe option. But he felt–probably correctly–that Germany had run out of safe options.

• It still seems to me that Hitler should have recognized that invading Poland would result in
    war with the UK and France, and war with the UK would result in a blockade.

A fair and reasonable point to make.

John Toland is the author of the book Adolf Hitler. Toland’s book has been praised by the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and other similar media outlets. Below is a quote from pages 566 - 567:

[A.I.] Berndt [a German government official] thought the reported number of German nationals killed by Poles too small and simply added a nought. At first Hitler refused to believe such a figure but, when Berndt replied that it may have been somewhat exaggerated but something monstrous must have happened to give rise to such stories, Hitler shouted “They’ll pay for this! Now no one will stop me from teaching these fellows a lesson they’ll never forget! I will not have my Germans butchered like cattle!” At this point the Fuhrer went to the phone and, in Berndt’s presence, ordered Keitel to issue “Directive No. 1 for the Conduct of the War.”

Hitler’s desire to protect German nationals living in Polish-occupied territory probably explains one of his reasons for going to war. Also, Poland engaged in a series of behaviors which, collectively, sent signals about its intentions:

• Killing of German nationals (as described above)
    • Refusal to negotiate with Germany
    • Refusal to make any territorial concessions to Germany, even though just a year earlier Hitler had given Poland a portion of Czechoslovakia. Hitler had thought–mistakenly–that this gesture would mark the beginning of good relations between Poland and Germany.

Poland’s actions went above and beyond merely standing up to attempted German bullying. They amounted to a decision to actively court war with Germany. Poland’s leaders were not stupid or insane. They knew that Poland alone could not stand up to Germany. The only reason Poland could have for adopting such a belligerent stance was if someone had made very tempting promises to it. (The dishonest French promises I’d described in my earlier post.) While the Germans were not privy to the secret promises the French had made to the Polish, they could see the effect those promises had on the attitudes and actions of the Polish. Hitler appears to have concluded–correctly–that Britain and France had decided to go to war against Germany.

Germany had nothing to gain from such a war. Hitler’s plans for Lebensraum did not involve France: his focus was on the east. A war against Britain would be even more fruitless from the German perspective. Hitler wanted to throw all Germany’s military strength against the Soviet Union, without dealing with Western democratic food blockades, or bombing raids, or useless battles in Africa or Italy.

However, if British and French leaders had firmly decided on war, there was an excellent chance that sooner or later they’d get their wish. Britain and France were rapidly expanding their military production. Germany was in a greater position of relative strength in 1939 than it could expect to be later, if it passively waited.

Hitler knew that the Soviet Union was unready for war in 1939. But he also knew it was only a matter of time before that changed. If the Western democracies succeeded in provoking a war with Germany, and if Germany lost a significant portion of its military strength as a result, then sooner or later the Soviet Union would join the Allied side, in order to begin helping itself to German territory. Even if the Western democracies didn’t succeed in getting their war with Germany, a fully militarized, fully industrialized Soviet Union could have rolled right over Germany, at least assuming Germany had made no territorial conquests in the meantime. The major Western democracies would have done absolutely nothing to stop this offensive. They probably would have welcomed it.

Hitler’s hope in 1939 was to begin the war against the Western democracies early; and to end that war early as well. The sooner it ended, the sooner he could do what he really wanted; which was to focus all his attention on the Soviet Union. He knew that invading Poland was not a safe option. But he felt–probably correctly–that Germany had run out of safe options.

What is a four engined bomber again, why did Germany not built them?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Imperious:

Whoa, whoa thread police… Der Kuenstler has chimed in on this discussion too, and this being his thread I think that is tantamount to a sanctioning of where this has led. Maybe I am wrong though.  :roll:

Anyway… to tie all this back in with the original post, summarize and generalize:

Kurt and Der Keunstler are arguing from the perspective that Germany was the complete victim of circumstance in the time between 1938-ish and 1945. While some of the Nazis actions were deplorable, they were predominantly trying to do the right thing for Germans and did not intend for history to play out as it did. They have been grossly maligned by history and the victorious Allies, who were in fact the true warmongers of the Second World War (and the First). Allied war-crimes were just as bad, if not worse, than those of the Nazis because they were intentional before war even began.

Myself and others here side with the traditional interpretation that war was generally Germany’s (immediate) fault and that Nazi Germany was the true evil of the time. While some benefit of the doubt can be given to Hitler over his intentions, he caused many of the situations which prompted war and then initiated that war himself. The Allies did not fight a genocidal war to rid the world of Germans, nor did they callously exploit their continental allies or Jews for their own warmongering gain. In fighting Germany rather than the USSR, the Western Allies chose to eliminate the greater of the two evils at the time, and the more accessible one. Hitler repeatedly showed that he was not worthy of trust and coupled with the acts of persecution against European residents, a negotiated surrender with the Nazi government remaining in power was not an option.

While this may all seem very unrelated to the initial post, it rather quickly delved to the core of the meaning behind Der Kuenstler’s assertion. The initial post was not just about four engine bombers, the implications in it were far more significant than a commentary on a piece of technology. The underlying message was that our traditional understanding of the causes and forces behind the Second World War are the opposite of what currently recognize. This amounts to turning our interpretations upside down.

I have no problem at all exploring that assertion, in fact, I would love to explore it. So far, Kurt’s (and Der Keunstler’s) perspective has been remarkably well supported, even if I still do not buy the majority of it. I think this discussion has become far more compelling than a rather limited one about the history of four engine bomber aircraft.

• @LHoffman:

Whoa, whoa thread police… Der Kuenstler has chimed in on this discussion too, and this being his thread I think that is tantamount to a sanctioning of where this has led. Maybe I am wrong though.  :roll:

Anyway… to tie all this back in with the original post, summarize and generalize:

Kurt and Der Keunstler are arguing from the perspective that Germany was the complete victim of circumstance in the time between 1938-ish and 1945. While some of the Nazis actions were deplorable, they were predominantly trying to do the right thing for Germans and did not intend for history to play out as it did. They have been grossly maligned by history and the victorious Allies, who were in fact the true warmongers of the Second World War (and the First). Allied war-crimes were just as bad, if not worse, than those of the Nazis because they were intentional before war even began.

Myself and others here side with the traditional interpretation that war was generally Germany’s (immediate) fault and that Nazi Germany was the true evil of the time. While some benefit of the doubt can be given to Hitler over his intentions, he caused many of the situations which prompted war and then initiated that war himself. The Allies did not fight a genocidal war to rid the world of Germans, nor did they callously exploit their continental allies or Jews for their own warmongering gain. In fighting Germany rather than the USSR, the Western Allies chose to eliminate the greater of the two evils at the time, and the more accessible one. Hitler repeatedly showed that he was not worthy of trust and coupled with the acts of persecution against European residents, a negotiated surrender with the Nazi government remaining in power was not an option.

While this may all seem very unrelated to the initial post, it rather quickly delved to the core of the meaning behind Der Kuenstler’s assertion. The initial post was not just about four engine bombers, the implications in it were far more significant than a commentary on a piece of technology. The underlying message was that our traditional understanding of the causes and forces behind the Second World War are the opposite of what currently recognize. This amounts to turning our interpretations upside down.

I have no problem at all exploring that assertion, in fact, I would love to explore it. So far, Kurt’s (and Der Keunstler’s) perspective has been remarkably well supported, even if I still do not buy the majority of it. I think this discussion has become far more compelling than a rather limited one about the history of four engine bomber aircraft.

Kurt and Der Keunstler are arguing from the perspective that Germany was the
    complete victim of circumstance in the time between 1938-ish and 1945.

I’d like to rephrase the above slightly. I’d argue that for various reasons, Germany faced an uphill battle for survival. This uphill battle was caused by several factors:

1. The militarization and industrialization of the Soviet Union. In the spring of '41, the German Army consisted of 150 divisions. By the late fall of '41, the Red Army consisted of 600 divisions. In 1942, the Soviet Union outproduced Germany by a 3 or 4 to one ratio in all major land weapons categories.
    2. The fact that the Soviet Union’s long-term goal was world conquest.
    3. The fact that the Western democracies had no interest in preventing Soviet expansionism. In the Polish-Soviet War of 1919-'20, the Western democracies did precisely nothing to prevent the Soviets from annexing Poland. (Except for a few French military advisors.) Influenced by pro-Soviet labor unions, Britain sold weapons to the Soviets but not the Polish.
    4. The fact that the major Western democracies were in many cases pro-Soviet. France signed a defensive alliance with the Soviet Union in 1935. As did Czechoslovakia. FDR was strongly pro-Soviet, and even became an accessory to Soviet mass murder.
    5. The Soviets had achieved significant penetration of the Western democracies; and therefore exerted significant influence on Western democratic foreign policies. This influence was generally used to promote “anti-fascism.” Before the Soviet Union invaded Germany, Stalin wanted there to be a long, bloody war between Germany and the Western democracies. Not only would this make the task of invading Germany easier, it would also weaken French resistance to the second stage of Stalin’s plans for expansion.

Could Otto von Bismarck have successfully navigated these shark-infested waters? Possibly. But the task would have been a grave challenge even for a statesman as gifted as him. Hitler lacked von Bismarck’s subtlety. He was too straightforward, too easily predicted, and therefore too easy for his enemies to manipulate.

While some of the Nazis actions were deplorable, they were predominantly trying to do
    the right thing for Germans and did not intend for history to play out as it did.

Nazism consisted of three core aspects:

1. Love for Germans and Germanic peoples
    2. Indifference or hatred for Slavs
    3. Intense hatred for Jews

The motives for Nazis’ actions could generally be explained in terms of the above. However, the degree they were willing to act on 2) and 3) has been deliberately exaggerated and distorted by Allied propagandists.

They have been grossly maligned by history and the victorious Allies,

This is beyond reasonable dispute. Take a standard-issue history book about WWII, such as Shirer’s The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Not once in his 1400 pages does he mention the Allied food blockade, or the fact that Germany did not have the food to feed the people within its borders. But he goes into extensive detail about Nazi killings of Jews and Slavs. Instead of telling the truth (that Hitler killed large numbers of Slavs due to the food shortage), Shirer creates the impression that Hitler was bursting with eagerness to get the anti-Slavic genocide started right away. (As opposed to doing the smart thing and waiting until the war was over before beginning the supposed planned genocide against the Slavs.)

Needless to say, neither Shirer nor others like him represent a credible source of information on how we should interpret WWII. His book is a (deliberate?) mix of historical fact and blatantly dishonest Allied propaganda.

Allied war-crimes were just as bad, if not worse, than those of the Nazis

I don’t think there can be a meaningful comparison between the two. The only time the Nazis engaged in large-scale mass murder was when they couldn’t feed their own people due to the Allied food blockade. The Soviet Union committed tens of millions of mass murders during the prewar period. Both the Soviet Union and Western democracies committed millions of murders during the postwar period. The Allies were also guilty of tens of millions of murders during the war.

In fighting Germany rather than the USSR, the Western Allies chose to eliminate the greater of the two evils at the time,

I cannot possibly express my disagreement with the above statement in strong enough terms! In the entire course of human history, there has never been a major power more evil than the Soviet Union.

There is this illusion that Allied leaders and Allied politicians were somehow “good” people who wanted what was best for the world. Nothing could be further from the truth. As an American, I’ve seen plenty of sleazy or immoral people elected to office. People without moral centers. Democratically elected Allied leaders of the '30s and '40s were like that too, only more so. This moral failure was why no major Western democracy adopted an anti-Soviet foreign policy until 1948.

Myself and others here side with the traditional interpretation that war was generally
    Germany’s (immediate) fault and that Nazi Germany was the true evil of the time.

There was a time in the past when I would have agreed with you. I’d lapped up everything I could about WWII, all of which was written from a very heavily slanted, pro-Allied perspective. But certain things didn’t add up. For example, Poland in 1939 was obviously very eager to stand up to Germany, and showed no interest to coming to any kind of mutually agreeable terms with Germany. Of course, no mention was made of the lies sleazy French politicians had told the Polish. Instead, Poland’s position was subtly portrayed as the result of bravery and stupidity. But I suspected–correctly, as it turns out–that the Polish couldn’t possibly have been that stupid.

The more Allied lies I uncovered, the more things added up and made sense. Every fresh Allied lie I discovered reduced my level of trust for the Allied perspective as a whole. I eventually concluded that the entire Allied perspective was built on a series of big lies.

• @Imperious:

This is an Attached pic of a German 4 engine bomber, proving that Germany did build them from 1937 and onwards.

The question should be, why didn’t they build a million 4 engine bombers ?

And the answer on that should be, the Germans are thieves, they conquer and occupy other peoples territory, enslave the people and steal their resources. Now, if the Germans were Destroyers of the Worlds, then they would build a million 4 engine Bombers and ruin everything within range

Revell4424.jpg

• This thread has opened up historic issues that are far bigger than my original post. Perhaps some new threads could be started around these bigger issues. I think they mostly have to do with traditional history vs. revisionist history.

@KurtGodel7:

In fighting Germany rather than the USSR, the Western Allies chose to eliminate the greater of the two evils at the time,

I cannot possibly express my disagreement with the above statement in strong enough terms! In the entire course of human history, there has never been a major power more evil than the Soviet Union.

I was theoretically speaking from their point of view… Nazi Germany was seen as the greater of the two evils, at that time. I realize that you personally vehemently disagree, but my statement was not about you (or me).

@KurtGodel7:

There was a time in the past when I would have agreed with you. I’d lapped up everything I could about WWII, all of which was written from a very heavily slanted, pro-Allied perspective. But certain things didn’t add up. For example, Poland in 1939 was obviously very eager to stand up to Germany, and showed no interest to coming to any kind of mutually agreeable terms with Germany. Of course, no mention was made of the lies sleazy French politicians had told the Polish. Instead, Poland’s position was subtly portrayed as the result of bravery and stupidity. But I suspected–correctly, as it turns out–that the Polish couldn’t possibly have been that stupid.

The more Allied lies I uncovered, the more things added up and made sense. Every fresh Allied lie I discovered reduced my level of trust for the Allied perspective as a whole. I eventually concluded that the entire Allied perspective was built on a series of big lies.

Thanks for your discussion, it has been very eye opening and intriguing.

@Der:

This thread has opened up historic issues that are far bigger than my original post. Perhaps some new threads could be started around these bigger issues. I think they mostly have to do with traditional history vs. revisionist history.

Yes, it has. My apologies for the derailment. For my part at least, I have temporarily exhausted my desire to continue the back and forth here, let alone to begin another one. Though if such a new thread is created I will check in on it.

• @LHoffman:

I was theoretically speaking from their point of view… Nazi Germany was seen as the greater of the two evils, at that time. I realize that you personally vehemently disagree, but my statement was not about you (or me).

Yes, it has. My apologies for the derailment. For my part at least, I have temporarily exhausted my desire to continue the back and forth here, let alone to begin another one. Though if such a new thread is created I will check in on it.

I realize that you personally vehemently disagree, but my statement was not about you (or me).

I appreciate the clarification.

It has.

For my part at least, I have temporarily exhausted my desire to continue the back and forth here.

Okay. If anyone else here feels like continuing, I’m game. But if not, we can put this conversation on hold for the time being. There will be time enough to resume discussing these topics once Imperious Leader starts a thread about battleship design or the Battle of Guadalcanal.  8-)

• Re: Why the Germans did not build four engined bombers…

Whoa, whoa thread police… Der Kuenstler has chimed in on this discussion too, and this being his thread I think that is tantamount to a sanctioning of where this has led. Maybe I am wrong though.  rolleyes

Kurt and Der Keunstler are arguing from the perspective that Germany was the
    complete victim of circumstance in the time between 1938-ish and 1945.

I’d like to rephrase the above slightly. I’d argue that for various reasons, Germany faced an uphill battle for survival. This uphill battle was caused by several factors:

1. The militarization and industrialization of the Soviet Union. In the spring of '41, the German Army consisted of 150 divisions. By the late fall of '41, the Red Army consisted of 600 divisions. In 1942, the Soviet Union outproduced Germany by a 3 or 4 to one ratio in all major land weapons categories.
    2. The fact that the Soviet Union’s long-term goal was world conquest.
    3. The fact that the Western democracies had no interest in preventing Soviet expansionism. In the Polish-Soviet War of 1919-'20, the Western democracies did precisely nothing to prevent the Soviets from annexing Poland. (Except for a few French military advisors.) Influenced by pro-Soviet labor unions, Britain sold weapons to the Soviets but not the Polish.
    4. The fact that the major Western democracies were in many cases pro-Soviet. France signed a defensive alliance with the Soviet Union in 1935. As did Czechoslovakia. FDR was strongly pro-Soviet, and even became an accessory to Soviet mass murder.
    5. The Soviets had achieved significant penetration of the Western democracies; and therefore exerted significant influence on Western democratic foreign policies. This influence was generally used to promote “anti-fascism.” Before the Soviet Union invaded Germany, Stalin wanted there to be a long, bloody war between Germany and the Western democracies. Not only would this make the task of invading Germany easier, it would also weaken French resistance to the second stage of Stalin’s plans for expansion.

Could Otto von Bismarck have successfully navigated these shark-infested waters? Possibly. But the task would have been a grave challenge even for a statesman as gifted as him. Hitler lacked von Bismarck’s subtlety. He was too straightforward, too easily predicted, and therefore too easy for his enemies to manipulate.

While some of the Nazis actions were deplorable, they were predominantly trying to do
    the right thing for Germans and did not intend for history to play out as it did.

Nazism consisted of three core aspects:

1. Love for Germans and Germanic peoples
    2. Indifference or hatred for Slavs
    3. Intense hatred for Jews

The motives for Nazis’ actions could generally be explained in terms of the above. However, the degree they were willing to act on 2) and 3) has been deliberately exaggerated and distorted by Allied propagandists.

They have been grossly maligned by history and the victorious Allies,

This is beyond reasonable dispute. Take a standard-issue history book about WWII, such as Shirer’s The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Not once in his 1400 pages does he mention the Allied food blockade, or the fact that Germany did not have the food to feed the people within its borders. But he goes into extensive detail about Nazi killings of Jews and Slavs. Instead of telling the truth (that Hitler killed large numbers of Slavs due to the food shortage), Shirer creates the impression that Hitler was bursting with eagerness to get the anti-Slavic genocide started right away. (As opposed to doing the smart thing and waiting until the war was over before beginning the supposed planned genocide against the Slavs.)

Needless to say, neither Shirer nor others like him represent a credible source of information on how we should interpret WWII. His book is a (deliberate?) mix of historical fact and blatantly dishonest Allied propaganda.

Allied war-crimes were just as bad, if not worse, than those of the Nazis

I don’t think there can be a meaningful comparison between the two. The only time the Nazis engaged in large-scale mass murder was when they couldn’t feed their own people due to the Allied food blockade. The Soviet Union committed tens of millions of mass murders during the prewar period. Both the Soviet Union and Western democracies committed millions of murders during the postwar period. The Allies were also guilty of tens of millions of murders during the war.

There is this illusion that Allied leaders and Allied politicians were somehow “good” people who wanted what was best for the world. Nothing could be further from the truth. As an American, I’ve seen plenty of sleazy or immoral people elected to office. People without moral centers. Democratically elected Allied leaders of the '30s and '40s were like that too, only more so. This moral failure was why no major Western democracy adopted an anti-Soviet foreign policy until 1948.

Myself and others here side with the traditional interpretation that war was generally
    Germany’s (immediate) fault and that Nazi Germany was the true evil of the time.

@Imperious:

Re: Why the Germans did not build four engined bombers…

Whoa, whoa thread police… Der Kuenstler has chimed in on this discussion too, and this being his thread I think that is tantamount to a sanctioning of where this has led. Maybe I am wrong though.  rolleyes

Well maybe they should have. It would have stopped Kurt and I arguing about unrelated things.

• Problem solved!

• Customizer

Well I’ll keep this short and technical. I’m not as well versed as many regarding WWII. To the best of my knowledge Hitler did not like four-engined bombers because it basically cost 2-2.5 Heinkels for one Condor for example. The Condor also had problems with it’s power plants and needed constant repair. The airframe of the Condor also could be strainded in sharp turns or steep dives which were performed frequently during missions whilst spotting convoys for the ubootwaffe.

Hitler also seemed to have an “always be bombing”  mantra in regards to aircraft. So the Luftwaffe’s line-up of aircraft heavily focused on medium-sized and light tactical bombers rather than the heavier stategic bobmbers of other nations.

One last note regarding planes like the B-17. One concept behind the B-17 was that it would be bombing fleet formations heading towards the coasts of the United States.  The B-17 was also heavily modified throughout the course of the war. The need for these modifications was mostly due to the US making more accurate daylight bombing runs in the ETO thus losing the cover of nightfall and needing more defensive armament.

We must also take into account the accuracy of strategic bombng, it wasn’t.  The concept of taking out spacific strategic targets was in its infancy.  While the Norden bombsight was innovative, it was light years away from say a cruise missle or drone strike of today. It was however more accurate than most of the technology of it’s time but it took many bombs just to get one hit. It was akin to rolling a cup full of dice to score one snake eyes instead of a bucket.

Lastly I think it is easy to look upon the past from the vantage point of the future. The world wars occured at a time litterally when the world went from near Napoleonic era tactics to nuclear weapons in a short span of just over thirty years. The people and leadership of the world would make decisions during a time of rapid change both technologically and socially. This doesn’t excuse mistakes or tragedy but gives us insight.

@toblerone77:

Well I’ll keep this short and technical. I’m not as well versed as many regarding WWII. To the best of my knowledge Hitler did not like four-engined bombers because it basically cost 2-2.5 Heinkels for one Condor for example. The Condor also had problems with it’s power plants and needed constant repair. The airframe of the Condor also could be strainded in sharp turns or steep dives which were performed frequently during missions whilst spotting convoys for the ubootwaffe.

Hitler also seemed to have an “always be bombing”  mantra in regards to aircraft. So the Luftwaffe’s line-up of aircraft heavily focused on medium-sized and light tactical bombers rather than the heavier stategic bobmbers of other nations.

One last note regarding planes like the B-17. One concept behind the B-17 was that it would be bombing fleet formations heading towards the coasts of the United States.  The B-17 was also heavily modified throughout the course of the war. The need for these modifications was mostly due to the US making more accurate daylight bombing runs in the ETO thus losing the cover of nightfall and needing more defensive armament.

We must also take into account the accuracy of strategic bombng, it wasn’t.  The concept of taking out spacific strategic targets was in its infancy.  While the Norden bombsight was innovative, it was light years away from say a cruise missle or drone strike of today. It was however more accurate than most of the technology of it’s time but it took many bombs just to get one hit. It was akin to rolling a cup full of dice to score one snake eyes instead of a bucket.

Lastly I think it is easy to look upon the past from the vantage point of the future. The world wars occured at a time litterally when the world went from near Napoleonic era tactics to nuclear weapons in a short span of just over thirty years. The people and leadership of the world would make decisions during a time of rapid change both technologically and socially. This doesn’t excuse mistakes or tragedy but gives us insight.

Wisdom in a thread gone off the rails.  8-)

• @toblerone77:

To the best of my knowledge Hitler did not like four-engined bombers because it basically cost 2-2.5 Heinkels for one Condor for example.

And that is good wisdom. If you want as much bang for your 60 IPC as possible, you buy 6 Fighters, not 5 Bombers. You only buy Bombers if you need the extra range. Fortunately to Germany, everything they needed to destroy were in their neighborhood, so no need for the extra range

• @Der:

I think they mostly have to do with traditional history vs. revisionist history.

After what I’ve read here, my only comment is: revisionism = neonazi propaganda. And I’m not going to mention specifically the plain lies here since they’ve already been drawn too much attention to and that’s exactly what the posters want.

And topics hijacked by people who merely want to use it to pass the kind of bullshit I’ve read here as ‘what really happened’ should be closed period.

• And topics hijacked by people who merely want to use it to pass the kind of bullshit I’ve read here as ‘what really happened’ should be closed period.

EXACTLY 100%.  And if you search his past posts, that soapbox has been revisited at least 5 times over and over again.

• @Hobbes:

After what I’ve read here, my only comment is: revisionism = neonazi propaganda. And I’m not going to mention specifically the plain lies here since they’ve already been drawn too much attention to and that’s exactly what the posters want.

And topics hijacked by people who merely want to use it to pass the kind of bullshit I’ve read here as ‘what really happened’ should be closed period.

I don’t get the feeling that you came to this thread to have a reasonable, civil discussion with those whose perspectives differ from yours. That’s certainly your choice. But I’d ask you to refrain from throwing around vague, sweeping, unsubstantiated accusations against undefined targets or undefined positions. Such a tactic enlightens no one, and merely serves to increase the emotional temperature of the room.

• “As for Imperious Leader’s posts: he keeps stating that the threads he’s closed had gone off-topic. It’s not clear why he feels the need to be a broken record on that point, when I’d already addressed it with my first post. I’d indicated that I have no objection to his requirement that threads stay on-topic.”

what would help germany more in ww2?
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=18980.msg643575#msg643575

Ever been to a dog show? Eugenic’s today
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21764.msg732388#msg732388

Albert Speer
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21965.msg740494#msg740494
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21965.msg740217#msg740217

Germany’s wartime food supply
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23148.msg789196#msg789196

what IF canada stayed out of the war(IF)
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23044.msg788198#msg788198

WW2 Article: Advanced German Technology
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=17127.msg784654#msg784654
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=17127.msg784509#msg784509

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23148.msg790540#msg790540
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23148.msg789452#msg789452

Japanese Invasion of America?
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25097.msg875015#msg875015

The Bromberg Massacre
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25395.msg877040#msg877040

American diplomatic strategy in the late '30s and early '40s
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26536.msg924543#msg924543

pre-war Japanese options
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26412.msg924710#msg924710
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26536.msg924690#msg924690

What if the Axis won the War?
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26769.msg944604#msg944604

Broken Record? Broken record!  Different threads same ideas it seems.

• @Imperious:

“As for Imperious Leader’s posts: he keeps stating that the threads he’s closed had gone off-topic. It’s not clear why he feels the need to be a broken record on that point, when I’d already addressed it with my first post. I’d indicated that I have no objection to his requirement that threads stay on-topic.”

what would help germany more in ww2?

Ever been to a dog show? Eugenic’s today
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21764.msg732388#msg732388

Albert Speer
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21965.msg740494#msg740494
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21965.msg740217#msg740217

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23148.msg789196#msg789196

what IF canada stayed out of the war(IF)
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23044.msg788198#msg788198

WW2 Article: Advanced German Technology
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=17127.msg784654#msg784654
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=17127.msg784509#msg784509

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23148.msg790540#msg790540
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23148.msg789452#msg789452

Japanese Invasion of America?
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25097.msg875015#msg875015

The Bromberg Massacre
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25395.msg877040#msg877040

American diplomatic strategy in the late '30s and early '40s
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26536.msg924543#msg924543

pre-war Japanese options
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26412.msg924710#msg924710
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26536.msg924690#msg924690

What if the Axis won the War?
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26769.msg944604#msg944604

Broken Record? Broken record!  Different threads same ideas it seems.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to create that list of links. I randomly clicked on a few of the things in your list, and thought to myself, Wow! I put a lot of effort into these posts! :o

I encourage anyone who’s interested to randomly click on a link or three, and take a look. Don’t take my word or Imperious Leader’s word for what’s in them. See for yourselves.

Broken Record? Broken record!

You are aware that’s the eight time in this thread you’ve made that particular point?  8-)

• @Hobbes:

After what I’ve read here, my only comment is: revisionism = neonazi propaganda.

So it appears the only version of history you’d like discussed here is the winner’s version. Propaganda is not defined as lies - it is defined as information organized to sway the opinion of people to a certain opinion. And if the posters here don’t think the Allied powers used it or are even still using it today, then I think they are quite naïve.

I’d like to think a person can believe today that both sides were flawed and did evil things as well as good during WWII without being labeled a neo-Nazi, but this just shows how good the allied propaganda machine has been for the past 70 years.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m