Welcome! If you're a returning member of the forums, please reset your password. If you don't receive an email within minutes, it means your account is listed under another, likely older, email address. Contact webmaster@axisandallies.org for help.

Best German Weapon for the Japanese

• The Japanese built a few types of four engine bombers, many of these were good quality like the H8K. This float plane, unlike most Japanese planes, was heavily gunned. This plane was used in operation K- the second attack on Pearl harbor. But so few of these planes were built, 160 total, that they can not be serious mentioned.

• @ABWorsham:

The Japanese built a few types of four engine bombers, many of these were good quality like the H8K. This float plane, unlike most Japanese planes, was heavily gunned. This plane was used in operation K- the second attack on Pearl harbor. But so few of these planes were built, 160 total, that they can not be serious mentioned.

Thanks for the post and the minor correction. I looked up the aircraft you described, and learned it’s also known as the Emily. Apparently, the Emily was widely regarded as the best flying boat of the war. Its bomb payload capacity was a fraction of a Flying Fortress’s. As though to make up for this, the Emily had a much longer range.

The Emily demonstrates that the complexities of four engine aircraft were not beyond the abilities of Japanese engineers. But it did not make sense for a nation with severely limited industrial capacity–such as Japan–to use very much of that capacity on expensive four engine aircraft.

• @KurtGodel7:

@ABWorsham:

The Japanese built a few types of four engine bombers, many of these were good quality like the H8K. This float plane, unlike most Japanese planes, was heavily gunned. This plane was used in operation K- the second attack on Pearl harbor. But so few of these planes were built, 160 total, that they can not be serious mentioned.

Thanks for the post and the minor correction. I looked up the aircraft you described, and learned it’s also known as the Emily. Apparently, the Emily was widely regarded as the best flying boat of the war. Its bomb payload capacity was a fraction of a Flying Fortress’s. As though to make up for this, the Emily had a much longer range.

The Emily demonstrates that the complexities of four engine aircraft were not beyond the abilities of Japanese engineers. But it did not make sense for a nation with severely limited industrial capacity–such as Japan–to use very much of that capacity on expensive four engine aircraft.

The allied fighter pilots who had the opportunity to attack the Emily were impressed by its armament, 12.5 mm machine guns instead of the 7.5 mm which most Japanese bombers were armed with.

• I had to vote other as I think a good proximity fuse ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_fuze )could have made a tremendous difference in the naval battles the Japanese lost.  It certainly made a difference for the Americans.

• @221B:

I had to vote other as I think a good proximity fuse ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_fuze )could have made a tremendous difference in the naval battles the Japanese lost.  It certainly made a difference for the Americans.

There is no doubt that Japanese Anti Aircraft were the poorest of the major nations of WW2. Only Rabaul had any success in air defense, and this was due to the massive amount of Allied bombing missions on that target and the practice the Japanese gunners gained. Rabaul would claim 500 aircraft, mostly singing engine bombers.

The Japanese would use several warship superstructures that were sunk to create " flak towers".

The allies who cleared the sky’s of the south pacific of Japanese planes and bombed at will anything desired dreadful hated missions to bomb Rabaul.

Welcome to the new forums! For security and technical reasons, we did not migrate your password. Therefore to get started, please reset your password. You may use your email address or username. Please note that your username is not your display name.

If you're having problems, please send an email to webmaster@axisandallies.org

T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games

Users

Topics

1.3m