• I forgot the rule, could Italy or Germany blitz through northwest Persia into Caucasus if the territory is not controlled by an allied country(us, uk, or ussr)?

• '14 Customizer

The axis can blitz NW Persia if its unoccupied with no facilities on it like AB or NB.

Now if Russia wanted to blitz through there they would be stopped because the have to activate in on their Non-Combat phase and must stop after activating.  If the neutral territory is unfriendly then you treat it as any other unfriendly territory on the map.

Page 10 of OOB Rulebook.

Friendly neutrals may not be attacked, and air units
    may not fly over them. They can be moved into (but not
    through) as a noncombat move by land units of a power
    that is at war (see “Noncombat Move,” page 22).

• Thanks, I had the activation concept backwards.

• I am not sure you can, Cyanight. I think if it has not been activated by the Allies, it cannot be blitzed. Rules say only a hostile territory can be blitzed. If unactivated, it is Neutral(albeit friendly to the other side).

I think the Axis can only move into, but not through it. Caucasus would be safe for another turn.

• Sponsor

Can’t blitz through a Neutral territory wether strict, pro-axis, or pro allied.

• Customizer

I don’t think that is right guys. I am pretty sure that a pro-other side neutral is treated like an enemy territory. If it is occupied, like Persia for example, you have to fight the infantry there but if it is unoccupied, like NW Persia, you can blitz it as the Axis.
    You can also blitz strict neutrals. For example, if the US had tanks in Central America and wanted to attack Venezuela, they can blitz through Columbia. I think you have to formally declare war before making your combat move.

It’s kind of a weird rule. You can’t move through a neutral that is friendly to you but you can with a neutral that is not friendly to you.

• Morning Knp. Hope you have been well.
    I understand your reasoning, but the rules say you can only blitz a hostile territory and a territory is either: friendly, hostile or neutral. It is reconciling that  3rd option with the blitzing  rule that bothers me.
    Enjoy your day.

• Official Q&A

Knp7765 is correct.  On page 11 of the 2nd edition Europe Rulebook, it says, “When a neutral territory is invaded, it’s no longer considered neutral and immediately becomes part of the alliance opposing the power that attacked it.”  This means that it immediately becomes hostile when you combat move into it.

@knp7765:

It’s kind of a weird rule. You can’t move through a neutral that is friendly to you but you can with a neutral that is not friendly to you.

Convincing a friend to join your cause requires diplomacy, which takes longer than simply attacking an enemy.

• '14 Customizer

Sorry for the confusion here guys…

It appears from page 8 of the Europe OOB rulebook that there are three types of territories. Friendly, Hostile and Neutral. I equated unfriendly neutral with hostile.

Friendly: Controlled by you or a friendly power.
    Hostile: Controlled by a power with which you are at war.
    Neutral: Not controlled by any power, or controlled by a power on the other side with which you are not yet at war
    (see “The Political Situation,” page 9). Neutral territories, such as Switzerland, have white borders and do not have any
    power’s emblem on them. Most such territories also have a unit silhouette with a number, which indicates how many
    infantry units the territory will generate to defend itself when its neutrality is violated. The Sahara Desert and Pripet
    Marshes are impassable and may not be moved into or through by any units.

Now here is the interesting part… Every line in the rule book that describes Blitzing says the second territory that you blitz into can be friendly or hostile. There is no mention of the second territory being neutral. So in a sense here the rulebook is also equating Hostile with unfriendly neutral. Or maybe you can’t blitz a territory before you attack a neutral territory. That would seem silly but its not consistent or clear.

P.29 Europe OOB Rulebook
    Blitz: Tanks can “blitz” by moving through an unoccupied
    hostile territory as the first part of a 2-space move that
    can end in a friendly or hostile territory. This complete
    move must occur during the Combat Move phase. By
    blitzing, the tank establishes control of the first territory
    before it moves to the next. The second territory can be
    friendly or hostile, or even the space the tank came from.
    A tank may not blitz through a territory that contains
    an enemy unit, even if the unit is an AAA (antiaircraft
    artillery), industrial complex, air base, or naval base.
    Combined Arms: Tanks can be combined with tactical

• '14 Customizer

Thanks for clearing that up Krieghund.

• Thank you Krieg. And good one Knp.
    Had to be further explanation somewhere in the rules.

• Now here is the interesting part… Every line in the rule book that describes Blitzing says the second territory that you blitz into can be friendly or hostile.

Hello all.

Does this mean you can take an unoccupied territory with a tank, and then ‘blitz’ your tank back off the front line? Possibly back into the territory it came from? My friends and I have always played that all blitzing must be into hostile territories….which now seems wrong…

• @MG:

Hello all.

Does this mean you can take an unoccupied territory with a tank, and then ‘blitz’ your tank back off the front line? Possibly back into the territory it came from? My friends and I have always played that all blitzing must be into hostile territories….which now seems wrong…

Well, as Krieghund said, when you attack a neutral territory, it becomes hostile, so you can blitz them.

• @MG:

Now here is the interesting part… Every line in the rule book that describes Blitzing says the second territory that you blitz into can be friendly or hostile.

Hello all.

Morning MGHorya. Yes, you have always been able to move back into the original territory from a Blitzed one.
    An example being: UK moves its Tank from Egypt to an empty Italian Tobruk and back to UK controlled Egypt. Usually you would do it to grab a territory for the income. That territory might then be taken back by the other side in its turn.

• Sponsor

So Germany can Blitz through a strict neutral like Spain and capture Gibraltar with a single tank from Normandy, all within one combat movement?

• You could not do YG, as Spain has Inf protecting it. Germany would have to stop and fight them. You can only blitz an empty territory. There are a few neutrals which do not have any Inf to mobilise( NW Persia being one).

• Sponsor

And to think that I’ve been racing a Brit infantry there every game so the Russians can take Iraq in one move  :roll:

• Well, you still have to do that, because NW Persia is Pro-Allies, meaning that Russia can’t blitz through it. They would still have to take control of it during non-combat.
    Germany could blitz through it because NW Persia would be considered hostile, thus they would take it during combat movement.

• TripleA

You may not blitz through neutrals even if it is empty. Sorry dude.

• @Cow:

You may not blitz through neutrals even if it is empty. Sorry dude.

Need to go back and read through the first page Cow.  Krieghund already clarified this and you can blitz through an unoccupied “true” neutral, or an unoccupied “pro the other side” neutral (as in Germany blitzing a tank through an unoccupied pro allied NW Persia, then moving again in the combat phase).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m