Hall of Shame - tales of the worst dice ever

• I dont remember specific situations, but I played P40 for first time yesterday and all of my attacks with China (both equal and 99% win chance) went wrong.
    I remember attacking with FTR, ART and around 8 INF against some 4 Japanese INF and not scoring a single hit (Japs scoring a full hit (!))- I lost that battle saving only the fighter and killing only a single INF. I found myself in a Hitlerrant.  :|

• This one isn’t a battle but rather an entire round and I was the one to take advantage of it. In the end my opponent said he’d concede the game (waiting to see if a compromise will continue the game or not)

So it’s G1 and I went with a Barbarossa. Hit Paris plus all the Russian border terr on the ground and went after sz110, sz111, sz91, and sz106. Ended up losing 6 inf & 1 sub (24ipc) for the entire round. In return I killed 13inf, 2art, aa, 2arm, ftr, trn, 2dds, 4cas, & 2bbs (185ipc). Hard to beat a +161 IPC swing in battles alone on G1.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33576.msg1282778#msg1282778

• Wow, he gave up after round 1? That kind of sucks. I wouldn’t want to play with someone like that. The game is still very much winnable for the allies at that point. Even if you did get rather lucky, it’s not that unlikely that you win all of those battles.

• Yeah, I’m with pancake on this one  :-)

• I remember a game of the classic Pacific A&A. In the first round, all allies only score hits in the defense on a 1. So as Japan you keep in mind with every attack that you will lose about one in six of your units. My opponent had a 1 about 50% on all his rolls. Especially on crucial ones, where I lost expensive units or didn’t take an island, so my transport could be killed the next turn by an allied fighter which could land on the non-occupied island!

It was maybe about 10 years ago, but that same opponent keeps reminding me about it when he has a handful of dice and needs 1’s. Like for mines in 1914 or radar in Global.

• Ha!  About him reminding you.

Expecting average rolls is very perilous!

• '15

Had a game this past weekend and was bailed out by some bad rolls for our opposition.

The UK foolishly left four fighters and a bomber in Caucasus, missing that it was connected to Kazakhstan.  Amateur mistake, but what can we do?  Japan rolls in with 2 inf, 2 art, 3 tanks a tac bomber and a str bomber.  They get only 1 hit; UK in response gets five hits!  Japan presses on but hits nothing in return, UK hits all four remaining fighters to win the battle with only a loss of 1 bomber.

On the same turn Japan sends two bombers to Moscow for a complex raid only to have my partner roll a snake eyes on him!

One of the best 1-2 defensive (lucky) punches I’ve ever seen

• WOW
    Thanks, Nippon, that is certainly a worthy post to the thread.  Always nice when it doesn’t happen to you

• @axisandalliesplayer:

This one isn’t a battle but rather an entire round and I was the one to take advantage of it. In the end my opponent said he’d concede the game (waiting to see if a compromise will continue the game or not)

So it’s G1 and I went with a Barbarossa. Hit Paris plus all the Russian border terr on the ground and went after sz110, sz111, sz91, and sz106. Ended up losing 6 inf & 1 sub (24ipc) for the entire round. In return I killed 13inf, 2art, aa, 2arm, ftr, trn, 2dds, 4cas, & 2bbs (185ipc). Hard to beat a +161 IPC swing in battles alone on G1.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33576.msg1282778#msg1282778

Unreal! I honestly would have a hard time playing that one out as well. Such a huge advantage right off the start is hard to overcome.

• TripleA

My very first game of global…  on Germany’s first turn I attacked france with everything that could reach and an additional 2 air units… I lost to France.

I was like… I just lost half my stuff on the first turn for nothing… can I try again?  The second time around I took it, did sea lion, and the allies were like this game is bs… because uk built everything it could to defend it round 1-2 only to lose it on round 3 anyway.

• '19 '18

I need to blow some steam somewhere.

I have under-average dice for 2-3 rounds in 4 games at the same time at the moment.

My axis game was in a horrible situation after the first round already and it got worse after the second round - europe is lost already, only clinging to Japan hope now.
    And in all of my other games it’s looking grim - and while I don’t claim that my faults have not played their part, it is mostly due to dice.

Sometimes I just hate this game. I was so close to say “fck this game, I’m quitting it”.

• TripleA

Yeah you had some bad dice. Everything going my way in our game. Kind of unexpected, because I made some mistakes that ended up working out.

• @MrRoboto:

I need to blow some steam somewhere.

I have under-average dice for 2-3 rounds in 4 games at the same time at the moment.

My axis game was in a horrible situation after the first round already and it got worse after the second round - europe is lost already, only clinging to Japan hope now.
    And in all of my other games it’s looking grim - and while I don’t claim that my faults have not played their part, it is mostly due to dice.

Sometimes I just hate this game. I was so close to say “fck this game, I’m quitting it”.

That’s why you need to try LL game.

• '19 '18

unfortunately the bad dice streak continues.

4 out of my 6 games right now seem to be decided by dice, although I am still alive with winning chances in one of them despite having suffered incredible losses due to bad luck.

Really makes me think about continueing this game…

LL on the other hand is boring. I don’t like it. But yeah, perhaps it is the better alternative.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Dicings are dicings, but this one I’ll never forget….

A long time ago, we were having a poker night, and one of the guys got frustrated with the girl I was with saying she was so lucky and at the end of the night challenged her for a small bet to a simple game of cut the cards.  She won the first one (having the highest card).  So, he went double or nothing…

She then proceeded to win the next FOURTEEN in a row, never losing (and not even a tie).

I never saw that guy again… ;)

• My opponent sent a Japanese bomber in to open up a crucial blitzing route for Germany, allowing Germany to take a factory I couldn’t retake and grab Caucasus. I send 2inf backed up by a fighter to kill the bomber. He proceeds to roll THREE 1s in A ROW. My units missed all their rolls and his bomber survived to fly back to Japanese terr the next turn.  :cry:

I ended up winning . . . just. But man oh man did I have some horrible luck in the early-mid game topped off by the above battle and another one where 200 IPC worth of allied navy/air was killed for the loss of just a sub and fighter in what should have been a 50/50 battle.  :x

• TripleA

I am posting on behalf of Karl7

I diced him super hardcore to the max 3 games in a row.

First game was a tale of the axis attacking stacks of infantry with air units and walking out with zero losses. Japan did it. Germany did it. Germany did it again 2 more times. Japan took new south wales losing only 3 infantry.

Second game my malta destroyer defended against 2 units and survived which was critical because he had a tobruk attack. Japan lost only 3 units J1 2 infantry on phil, 1 cruiser. I defended yunnan with my 4 units against 6 inf and a fighter from China. he lost 6 inf and I lost 3 inf 1 arty…. lol. This game I was also doing a G1 DOW on Russia and I only lost 4 inf round 1. Had a successful strafe on yugoslavia to retreat into romania.

Basically everything went my way

Game 3 on UK1

Battle in 110 Sea Zone
                    British attack with 1 battleship, 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer and 2 fighters
                    Germans defend with 1 battleship and 2 submarines
                    Units damaged: 1 battleship owned by the Germans
                    Units damaged: 1 battleship owned by the British
                    retreated to 110 Sea Zone
                    Germans win with 1 battleship and 1 submarine remaining. Battle score for attacker is -44
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 submarine
                    Casualties for British: 1 battleship, 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer and 1 fighter

Round 1 I hit with 1 sub and 1 bship. Round 2 I snake eye with subs and hit a bship. The french fighter attacked the tilted bship, died without killing bship as well.

Now I sealion him even though I did the G1 DOW on Russia.

• My friend got diced real bad in our last game. I used a Japanese bomber to can open somewhere in Russia for Germany. So, on Russia’s next turn, he attacks it with 2 infantry and a fighter.
    My bomber rolled 3 1’s in a row, he whiffed all 3 rounds of combat, and my bomber survived.

He was so mad, I actually felt bad for him. At least until he ended up winning the game.

• '19 '13

@axisandalliesplayer:

My opponent sent a Japanese bomber in to open up a crucial blitzing route for Germany, allowing Germany to take a factory I couldn’t retake and grab Caucasus. I send 2inf backed up by a fighter to kill the bomber. He proceeds to roll THREE 1s in A ROW. My units missed all their rolls and his bomber survived to fly back to Japanese terr the next turn.  :cry:

I ended up winning . . . just. But man oh man did I have some horrible luck in the early-mid game topped off by the above battle and another one where 200 IPC worth of allied navy/air was killed for the loss of just a sub and fighter in what should have been a 50/50 battle.  :x

@ChocolatePancake:

My friend got diced real bad in our last game. I used a Japanese bomber to can open somewhere in Russia for Germany. So, on Russia’s next turn, he attacks it with 2 infantry and a fighter.
    My bomber rolled 3 1’s in a row, he whiffed all 3 rounds of combat, and my bomber survived.

He was so mad, I actually felt bad for him. At least until he ended up winning the game.

?

• Good catch - I didn’t even notice.

Yes, apparently talking about the same game  :lol:  :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m