Hall of Shame - tales of the worst dice ever

• '19 '18

I need to blow some steam somewhere.

I have under-average dice for 2-3 rounds in 4 games at the same time at the moment.

My axis game was in a horrible situation after the first round already and it got worse after the second round - europe is lost already, only clinging to Japan hope now.
    And in all of my other games it’s looking grim - and while I don’t claim that my faults have not played their part, it is mostly due to dice.

Sometimes I just hate this game. I was so close to say “fck this game, I’m quitting it”.

• TripleA

Yeah you had some bad dice. Everything going my way in our game. Kind of unexpected, because I made some mistakes that ended up working out.

• @MrRoboto:

I need to blow some steam somewhere.

I have under-average dice for 2-3 rounds in 4 games at the same time at the moment.

My axis game was in a horrible situation after the first round already and it got worse after the second round - europe is lost already, only clinging to Japan hope now.
    And in all of my other games it’s looking grim - and while I don’t claim that my faults have not played their part, it is mostly due to dice.

Sometimes I just hate this game. I was so close to say “fck this game, I’m quitting it”.

That’s why you need to try LL game.

• '19 '18

unfortunately the bad dice streak continues.

4 out of my 6 games right now seem to be decided by dice, although I am still alive with winning chances in one of them despite having suffered incredible losses due to bad luck.

Really makes me think about continueing this game…

LL on the other hand is boring. I don’t like it. But yeah, perhaps it is the better alternative.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Dicings are dicings, but this one I’ll never forget….

A long time ago, we were having a poker night, and one of the guys got frustrated with the girl I was with saying she was so lucky and at the end of the night challenged her for a small bet to a simple game of cut the cards.  She won the first one (having the highest card).  So, he went double or nothing…

She then proceeded to win the next FOURTEEN in a row, never losing (and not even a tie).

I never saw that guy again… ;)

• My opponent sent a Japanese bomber in to open up a crucial blitzing route for Germany, allowing Germany to take a factory I couldn’t retake and grab Caucasus. I send 2inf backed up by a fighter to kill the bomber. He proceeds to roll THREE 1s in A ROW. My units missed all their rolls and his bomber survived to fly back to Japanese terr the next turn.  :cry:

I ended up winning . . . just. But man oh man did I have some horrible luck in the early-mid game topped off by the above battle and another one where 200 IPC worth of allied navy/air was killed for the loss of just a sub and fighter in what should have been a 50/50 battle.  :x

• TripleA

I am posting on behalf of Karl7

I diced him super hardcore to the max 3 games in a row.

First game was a tale of the axis attacking stacks of infantry with air units and walking out with zero losses. Japan did it. Germany did it. Germany did it again 2 more times. Japan took new south wales losing only 3 infantry.

Second game my malta destroyer defended against 2 units and survived which was critical because he had a tobruk attack. Japan lost only 3 units J1 2 infantry on phil, 1 cruiser. I defended yunnan with my 4 units against 6 inf and a fighter from China. he lost 6 inf and I lost 3 inf 1 arty…. lol. This game I was also doing a G1 DOW on Russia and I only lost 4 inf round 1. Had a successful strafe on yugoslavia to retreat into romania.

Basically everything went my way

Game 3 on UK1

Battle in 110 Sea Zone
                    British attack with 1 battleship, 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer and 2 fighters
                    Germans defend with 1 battleship and 2 submarines
                    Units damaged: 1 battleship owned by the Germans
                    Units damaged: 1 battleship owned by the British
                    retreated to 110 Sea Zone
                    Germans win with 1 battleship and 1 submarine remaining. Battle score for attacker is -44
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 submarine
                    Casualties for British: 1 battleship, 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer and 1 fighter

Round 1 I hit with 1 sub and 1 bship. Round 2 I snake eye with subs and hit a bship. The french fighter attacked the tilted bship, died without killing bship as well.

Now I sealion him even though I did the G1 DOW on Russia.

• My friend got diced real bad in our last game. I used a Japanese bomber to can open somewhere in Russia for Germany. So, on Russia’s next turn, he attacks it with 2 infantry and a fighter.
    My bomber rolled 3 1’s in a row, he whiffed all 3 rounds of combat, and my bomber survived.

He was so mad, I actually felt bad for him. At least until he ended up winning the game.

• '19 '13

@axisandalliesplayer:

My opponent sent a Japanese bomber in to open up a crucial blitzing route for Germany, allowing Germany to take a factory I couldn’t retake and grab Caucasus. I send 2inf backed up by a fighter to kill the bomber. He proceeds to roll THREE 1s in A ROW. My units missed all their rolls and his bomber survived to fly back to Japanese terr the next turn.  :cry:

I ended up winning . . . just. But man oh man did I have some horrible luck in the early-mid game topped off by the above battle and another one where 200 IPC worth of allied navy/air was killed for the loss of just a sub and fighter in what should have been a 50/50 battle.  :x

@ChocolatePancake:

My friend got diced real bad in our last game. I used a Japanese bomber to can open somewhere in Russia for Germany. So, on Russia’s next turn, he attacks it with 2 infantry and a fighter.
    My bomber rolled 3 1’s in a row, he whiffed all 3 rounds of combat, and my bomber survived.

He was so mad, I actually felt bad for him. At least until he ended up winning the game.

?

• Good catch - I didn’t even notice.

Yes, apparently talking about the same game  :lol:  :lol:

• Heh, I didn’t even see him post it first :)

• @ChocolatePancake:

My friend got diced real bad in our last game. I used a Japanese bomber to can open somewhere in Russia for Germany. So, on Russia’s next turn, he attacks it with 2 infantry and a fighter.

Battle calculator says your friend lost a 100% win battle.  :?

• Rounding.  There’s no such thing as a 100% battle when dice need to be rolled.

• @Gamerman01:

Rounding.  There’s no such thing as a 100% battle when dice need to be rolled.

Why does battle calculator tell me it is a 100% win then? I know it’s not 100% but what percentage exactly? 99.99% perhaps?

• Because battle calculator doesn’t actually calculate the battle, it just runs a bunch of simulations and tells you the % of times that you won in the simulation. If you never lose in the simulation, then it gives you 100%. For odds things happening that are, say 1/1000 or less then it may be unlikely that the battle calculator simulation will simulate any wins for you.

• Very good point, Chocolate
    I’m going to see what I get in a calc now

• You’re doing something wrong or you have a bad calculator.

I have a calculator that does odds distributions as well as # of rounds.  Actually, I think this site does too, I’ll try that next.

Anyway, the chance that your bomber would hit 3 straight times after getting missed at least twice (to survive for the third roll) is a “whopping” .09%.  That’s 1 in 1,111, rare, but not super rare.

There is a 4.25% chance that the 2 infantry and fighter would whiff 3 straight rounds.

• A&A.org calc isn’t as precise, but does show a .1% chance of all 3 units being lost in 3 rounds.

Actually, that’s easy to calculate by hand…

(1/6)^3 = .00463, or .5% chance that your 1 hits 3 in a row.

(5/6)^2 * 1/2 = .34722, or 34.7% chance of whiffing in a round
    .34722^3 = .04186 or 4% chance of whiffing 3 straight rounds.

.04186*.00463 = .00019 that both would happen (the result you saw)

That’s .02% chance, or 1 in 5,000 which is pretty rare, as you would suspect.

The 1,111 was the chance the 2 infantry and fighter would be lost, but the bomber not necessarily surviving round 3.
    The 1 in approx. 5,000 is the bomber surviving and hitting 3 straight times.

Many calculators are going to show 100%, not 99.98%.  Or as pancake said, will runs X number of battles and give results.  But even then, it could be subject to rounding.

Again, there is no such thing as a 100% battle when dice are to be rolled (only defenseless AA guns or transports are 100%)

• @Gamerman01:

You’re doing something wrong or you have a bad calculator.

I have a calculator that does odds distributions as well as # of rounds.  Actually, I think this site does too, I’ll try that next.

Anyway, the chance that your bomber would hit 3 straight times after getting missed at least twice (to survive for the third roll) is a “whopping” .09%.  That’s 1 in 1,111, rare, but not super rare.

There is a 4.25% chance that the 2 infantry and fighter would whiff 3 straight rounds.

You are right. I was using triplea BC. Didn’t know there are better ones. lol

• Now watch your game soar to the next level!  :mrgreen:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m