Which version buy; 1942 2nd Edition; the version from 2009 or 2012?

• i wonna buy 1942 2nd Edition, but im not sure which version is the better one, the 2nd Edition from 2009 or the newest 2nd Edition version from 2012?

What are the differences, lesser units or only some rules changes?
    What is your experience, which version do you have?

Can i use the new units for my global 1940 game, i mean are the colors of the units the same or are they differrent from europe 1940?

• Babubaer, it looks like you misunderstand something:

Spring 1942 of 2009 is no “second edition”. It is the first edition of what “1942 2nd edition” is the sequel to.

I have both of the games and I would recommend the newer one.

Spring 1942 basically follows the rules invented by Anniversary Edition in 2008.
    1942 2nd Editon has many of the rules further developped by Global 1940, including for example the new AAA rules (and sculpts).

Also 1942 2nd Editon is said to be the new “standard” game (as it was Spring 1942 before).

You can use your units of course.

If you have further questions just ask here or for explanation in German just PM me.

• I think I understand his confusion, since Spring 1942 is basically a second edition of Revised, which was published in 2004. So you have

2004 A&A Revised (the first edition, although it is not called that)
    2009 A&A Spring 1942 (Revised with the new rules from AA50 plus a few changes)
    2012 A&A Spring 1942, 2nd Edition (updated with the new rules from Global 2nd Ed plus more changes)

I haven’t gotten it myself due to a lack of funds (but I have Revised and 1942) but I’d advise you to buy the 1942 2nd Edition. I’ve played it about 10 games so far and I enjoy it greatly.

• Hi Babubaer. I rate my 2nd Edition 42(2012 version) and love the new sculpts and map.
    Most people say the 2009 version is good too. I do not own it.
    I suppose if you are happy to pay twice as much get last year’s version, otherwise get the half price(in England anyway) 1st Edition.
    Good luck and have fun whichever you choose.

• 1st edition has the smallest map in the series for a world…(well, haven’t compared to 1941, but you don’t need so much space for that).  It is terrible in Europe fitting in all the units.  I much prefer 2nd edition.

• Official Q&A

@Hobbes:

I think I understand his confusion, since Spring 1942 is basically a second edition of Revised, which was published in 2004. Â

This nomenclature is confusing and incorrect.  AA42 is no more a 2nd edition of Revised than Revised is a 2nd edition of Classic.  However, I agree that a lot of people share that misconception.

• Big Big “Thanxs” Guys for all your answers and help!

That’s why I appreciate this forum so much!

I will buy the 1942 2nd Edition than! It is like wittman said, the double price than the Version from 2009 but  I think that it is worth.

And yes, i was like P@nther and Hobbes said, confused about the nomencalture.

Thxs also to BJCard for the tip about the space on the map.

This nomenclature is confusing and incorrect.  AA42 is no more a 2nd edition of Revised than Revised is a 2nd edition of Classic.  However, I agree that a lot of people share that misconception.

That is true Krieg … I thought I am familiar with Axis and Allies versions, but definitely no and I’m sure there are probably more peoples with the same problem. But no problem as long as you and the community here, are there to help!  :-D

• @Krieghund:

Well, just my personal opinion that, overall, AA42 and AA42 2nd Edition are much different from one another than between AA42 and Revised :)

• @Hobbes:

@Krieghund:

Well, just my personal opinion that, overall, AA42 and AA42 2nd Edition are much different from one another than between AA42 and Revised :)

Totally agree with Hobbes here. Revised and AA42 are basically the same board, but with different naval rules. While AA42 second edition is basically an entirely different layout.

• Official Q&A

There are a lot more differences in the rules between Revised and 1942 than just naval combat (the changes to which were pretty significant, by the way).  The victory conditions also changed, as well as the rules for SBRs, AA guns, and amphibious assaults.

I guess it depends on whether you’re looking at the rules or the map as which two have the most differences.  I tend to look at the rules.

• @Krieghund:

There are a lot more differences in the rules between Revised and 1942 than just naval combat (the changes to which were pretty significant, by the way).  The victory conditions also changed, as well as the rules for SBRs, AA guns, and amphibious assaults.

I guess it depends on whether you’re looking at the rules or the map as which two have the most differences.  I tend to look at the rules.

Yup, agree with you in the difference between rule and map changes. But to me some changes (on both aspects) matter more than others. The defenseless transports in 1942 were the biggest change, and the VC conditions also mattered a lot but the others (map, AAs, SBR, amphibs) were minor. The overall strategies didn’t change much, although the updated unit disposition removed the need for a bid to balance Revised.
    Between both editions of 1942, the map has major changes on the areas that matter (Asia, Pacific, Europe) and the unit starting dispositions allow for different Allied openings than before (the Jap fleet on SZ37, the IC in India), making KJF a real possibility from the start, unlike Revised or AA42.1. The biggest difference in the rules between both versions is the 6 IPC tank, IMO.

• @Hobbes:

@Krieghund:

Yup, agree with you in the difference between rule and map changes. But to me some changes (on both aspects) matter more than others. The defenseless transports in 1942 were the biggest change, and the VC conditions also mattered a lot but the others (map, AAs, SBR, amphibs) were minor. The overall strategies didn’t change much, although the updated unit disposition removed the need for a bid to balance Revised.
    Between both editions of 1942, the map has major changes on the areas that matter (Asia, Pacific, Europe) and the unit starting dispositions allow for different Allied openings than before (the ��� fleet on SZ37, the IC in India), making KJF a real possibility from the start, unlike Revised or AA42.1. The biggest difference in the rules between both versions is the 6 IPC tank, IMO.

Allies having more options makes me like second edition a lot more, and ya the whole transports not being able to take a hit took me a few games to learn :)

• 1942 2nd for sure. The 1942 1st had all these transports without any guards and they would be all shot to hell. Japan would lose one for sure before it’s turn. However 1942 2nd edition gave Germany a little too much love. But hey I’m an Axis player. It’s just every now and then I like to play USA.

• My new version of Axis & Allies 1942 2nd Edition has arrived and I like the map and the new sculptures very well.
    After studied the new rules i have some short questions?

1.) Gibraltar:
    Is there no Gibraltar rule? Can any power enter and exit the Med regardless of who owns it?

2.) Submarines “Surprise Strike”
    If you have a sub on sub only battle, do both sides get to fire with a Surprise Strike? Basically, the only units that get to defend from Surprise Strike are submarines, right? Attacker has a Surprise Strike of 2 and the Defender has a Surprise Strike of 1, and this every Round.

3.) I can build a factory on an island as long as the island has at least the value of 1 IPC right?

• Hi Babubaer.
    1. Yes, you are right: there are noGibraltar rules.

2.Both Subs would shoot first, as you say.
    The defending one could submerge and avoid being sunk if the attacker had no Destroyer of course.

3. Yes, you are right again.

Enjoy your new game!

• Thxs Wittmann for your help!

So the rules for subs are the same like there are in Global 1940 right?

• @Babubaer:

Thxs Wittmann for your help!

So the rules for subs are the same like there are in Global 1940 right?

That’s correct!  :-)

• Thxs P@nther , than i have learned that i all the time forgot that in global 1940 the defending sub has a Surprise Strike too.  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m