• '14

The monotony of the fronts, esp. Western, doesn’t bother me either in this game. I would like to have seen more development of a railroad/strategic movement capability for non-combat movment and forts (i.e. sieges that require a diversion away from the “attack 'o stacks” and control certain elements of attack, movement, etc.). Static front lines are just a characteristic of the time, but countries like Germany should have been able to benefit from a superior rail system (and interior comm lines). Other countries like Russia should not be rewarded for having a comparably inferior one. The Allies, of course, benefit from near total command of the oceans; they go where and when they want to.

But alas, this is where house rules come in, and I’ve seen some pretty creative ones so far. The PTR were a good start.

• I’m not complaining about the slow pace of battles, I think 1914 got battles absolutely right. I’m annoyed over how slow it is to get units from Point A to Point B; it should not take Germany 3 turns to reach Alsace. Cavalry would help alleviate that a little, and I find it, yes, “monotone” that until T5 at least it’s just infantry, artillery, and the occasional plane slamming each other back and forth. It’s not like the use of cavalry at this time was entirely ahistorical, and the fact that you could have large cavalry armies at the start which slowly lessen as their obsolescence becomes apparent would follow what actually happened pretty well.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

When people view this game, it should be through the prism of the original Axis and Allies.  Remember that first version, with no destroyers, artillery, tac bombers, etc?  This is the first iteration of WWI.  I’m sure many of the things people feel are missing now will be included in future “revised” or "anniversary edition"s.

My only complaints about the board is how crowded it gets in Europe, even with only two powers in a contested territory, and the lack of pieces for OOB.

• @Whackamatt:

When people view this game, it should be through the prism of the original Axis and Allies.  Remember that first version, with no destroyers, artillery, tac bombers, etc?  This is the first iteration of WWI.  I’m sure many of the things people feel are missing now will be included in future “revised” or "anniversary edition"s.

My only complaints about the board is how crowded it gets in Europe, even with only two powers in a contested territory, and the lack of pieces for OOB.

I agree with this completely. Remember for years people wanted artillery and destroyers and we got them. Space is an issue and I think the lack of pieces for OOB will well for me be resolved the min. a 2nd edition or revised edition or basically a second WW1 game is released. Just like Revised was skin and bones and Europe and Pacific came out and now we have more than enough pieces the same should happen here. I for one almost always struggled with the number of piece that came in Classic.

• Customizer

Heres a pretty good review, highlighting the main problems with the game OOB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwOnvMmysUI

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Yavid:

@Whackamatt:

When people view this game, it should be through the prism of the original Axis and Allies.�  Remember that first version, with no destroyers, artillery, tac bombers, etc?�  This is the first iteration of WWI.�  I’m sure many of the things people feel are missing now will be included in future “revised” or "anniversary edition"s.

I agree with this completely. Remember for years people wanted artillery and destroyers and we got them. Space is an issue and I think the lack of pieces for OOB will well for me be resolved the min. a 2nd edition or revised edition or basically a second WW1 game is released. Just like Revised was skin and bones and Europe and Pacific came out and now we have more than enough pieces the same should happen here. I for one almost always struggled with the number of piece that came in Classic.

Is Larry even going to do another edition? I know he’s done second editions in the past, but after the negativity he has gotten on this game, he may not do another one. I’m just asking because I don’t know. I heard his next game is possibly a civil war game.

• Customizer

Civil War and a rejigged Conquest of the Empire.

1914 remake is unlikley; certainly not with new components. Updated rules incorporating PTR and a proper IPC chart is about all you can hope for.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Flashman:

Civil War and a rejigged Conquest of the Empire.

1914 remake is unlikley; certainly not with new components. Updated rules incorporating PTR and a proper IPC chart is about all you can hope for.

Thanks, I figured that was probably what will happen, but you never know.

• Nice accent you put  on for that vid Flash.
    I also hope that beard comes off easily.

His points/complaints are all ones we have come up with.
    That is good to see.
    Thanks for finding it for us. @Flashman:

• Customizer

@wittmann:

Nice accent you put  on for that vid Flash.
    I also hope that beard comes off easily.

His points/complaints are all ones we have come up with.
    That is good to see.
    Thanks for finding it for us. @Flashman:

Although he said the game was unbalanced…in favor of the Axis…assuming he hadn’t played it through more than once.

• Thank you . That is right. I have found it impossible to win as the CPs.

• I agree - house rules will rule this game.  Too simplistic, Africa takes up too much board space.  But learning to love the game (with our house rules of course).

• '20 '18 '17 '15

I find the sub rules to be so ineffective, I can’t see why anyone as Germany would bring the US into the war for the sake of destroying a couple of ICs before their subs are destroyed.

• I’ve been playing this game with mostly the same group for a couple of years now and not once have I seen Germany declare USW. The minor hit to the Allies’ income just isn’t worth the risk.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m