• Zeppelins: Attack at 3, Defend at 2, Move 8, Cost 15
        Zeppelins are only produced by Germany. They have a movement of 8 which, like a fighter, must be used to move to and back from the target.  Zeppelins, like other aircraft, may also respond to adjacent enemy attacks.   
        Zeppelins can bomb enemy factories. There are two types of bombing: low altitude and high altitude.  Low altitude bombing has a greater chance to inflict damage, but is subject to aerial combat. After one round of aerial combat, each Zeppelin rolls one D6. The number rolled is the amount of economic damage to the enemy factory.  High altitude bombing is less accurate and only does damage equal to D6 (minus two).  However, at this height no enemy planes may intercept.  Note: that the total damage to the factory cannot exceed the value of the territory. 
        Zeppelins have the ability to absorb damage.  They can sustain up to three damage points before being destroyed. Damage points remain on a Zeppelin following a battle until they are repaired during phase 6 by moving to any controlled area in Germany for one turn. The owner removes all damage, but may not move the piece on the turn it is repaired.

• @Imperious:

Zeppelins: Attack at 3, Defend at 2, Move 8, Cost 15
         Zeppelins are only produced by Germany. They have a movement of 8 which, like a fighter, must be used to move to and back from the target.  Zeppelins, like other aircraft, may also respond to adjacent enemy attacks.     
         Zeppelins can bomb enemy factories. There are two types of bombing: low altitude and high altitude.  Low altitude bombing has a greater chance to inflict damage, but is subject to aerial combat. After one round of aerial combat, each Zeppelin rolls one D6. The number rolled is the amount of economic damage to the enemy factory.  High altitude bombing is less accurate and only does damage equal to D6 (minus two).  However, at this height no enemy planes may intercept.  Note: that the total damage to the factory cannot exceed the value of the territory.   
         Zeppelins have the ability to absorb damage.  They can sustain up to three damage points before being destroyed. Damage points remain on a Zeppelin following a battle until they are repaired during phase 6 by moving to any controlled area in Germany for one turn. The owner removes all damage, but may not move the piece on the turn it is repaired.

That’s incredibly overpowered, especially with only Germany getting them. This basically makes zeppelins the battleships of the air, except more powerful. There’s really no way to combat one of those, especially with the damage absorption.

• 15 IPC is 1/2 of Germany’s income and repair puts it out of action for a turn.

• A movement of 8 seems a bit much. Even the WW2 bombers could only move 6.

• I like the idea of high and low altitude bombing, were Zeppelins able to actually avoid fighters by flying higher?

And were not Zeppelins as fast as fighters?

I recall reading somewhere that fighters had trouble keeping up with them,

perhaps only fighters already pre postioned in their path can intercept them?

• @Shakespeare:

I like the idea of high and low altitude bombing, were Zeppelins able to actually avoid fighters by flying higher? And were not Zeppelins as fast as fighters? I recall reading somewhere that fighters had trouble keeping up with them

People interested in WWI Zeppelin operations may want to have a look at the 1930 movie Hell’s Angels, directed by Howard Hughes.  It includes a lengthy and atmospheric sequence about a Zeppelin night-time raid on London, which ends with the airship being intercepted by British fighters.  I don’t know how accurate it is historically (the German crew members are heavily stereotyped, and at one point are shown obeying orders to jump overboard – without parachutes – to lighten the ship), but I was surprised to learn that the “spy basket” shown actually existed.  The sequence is blue-tinted, perhaps in reference to the nickname the British gave to Zeppelins: “monsters of the purple twilight.”

• Customizer

If anything they should have a longer range; they could stay up in the air for ages.

A preemptive strike against Washington by Zeppelins is not as crazy as it sounds.

The material effects of bombing were minimal, the morale much greater. Also, the RFC had to withdraw fighters from the front to defend London from bombing raids.

However, when bombers are introduced they should be more effective than airships, certainly less vulnerable to air attack. Incendiary bullets as a tech should put paid to the gasbags.

http://historyonthenet.com/WW1/zeppelin_raids.htm

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=197664

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_strategic_bombing_during_World_War_I

• I like the idea of high and low altitude bombing, were Zeppelins able to actually avoid fighters by flying higher?

Yes, that was the whole idea. Latter in the war it became more difficult for them to avoid planes especially when all metal aircraft frames came on the scene.

• Customizer

You and your all-metal aircraft.

Junkers built a couple of prototypes.

George Peppard flew one of them straight into the ground.

That was it for all-metal aircraft.

• Seriously, before Zeppelins disappear from this front page,

any one else have any input for Zeppelin rules?

I want to make it work within the context of the game.

I read about thier role and it was far more extensive than I thought.

Even on the Eastern front.

Any additional ideas would be appreciated.

• @Shakespeare:

I read about thier role and it was far more extensive than I thought.
    Any additional ideas would be appreciated.

I have a vague recollection that they were used for naval reconnaissance, but I could be wrong.  The German High Seas Fleet almost never left its base, so Zeppelin reconnaissance (if it ever happened) would have been pointless most of the time.

• There was also that one that took much needed supplies to Tanzania, but had to be recalled. Maybe they could have the ability to transport one artillery at the expense of being able to bomb, maybe only once per game too.
    That does speak to their range though.

Also I must point out, though clearly not up the snuff like the German ones, I read Austria Hungary had 6 airships itself (earlier models though, probably unfit for combat.) so perhaps in alternate history Austria Hungary could buy one or two.

• And of course no discussion of Zeppelins would be complete without this classic Monty Python sketch, the best part of which lasts from 1:18 to 3:00 in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyrd1BwusQ

• What abut a rule, that doesn’t really need a zeppelin sculp, like:
    “At the Beginning of the Combat phase the German player can decide to make a Zeppelin Attack on a single Entante Capital.
    If there are Airplanes in the territory he has choosen he has to roll a dice to indicate if the Zeppelin slipped through the defenses. 1-3 slipped through; 4-6 shot down.
    After that, or if there were no airplanes a step further, he rolls a dice to indicate how much damage if any the zeppelin causes. 1-3 damage caused, amount as rolled; 4-6 target missed.”

• If it were up to me I’d have Zepplins A/D at 1/2,be able to stat bomb at half values and when taking part in dogfights take two hits to down. Are there AA guns in this one does anyone know?

• OK  German only

Cost 10 IPCs

Attacks on 5/6                  Reduces IPC’s by 1 for each hit.
                                          Can target infantry and armor on “tactical” missions.
                                          Can be attacked only by fighters on IPC bombing missions or by fighters and artillery on “tactical” bombing

Takes 2 damage; removes damage like a battleship removes

Range 6

Ideas Criticisms Comments

I’d really like to get this one right.

My game will have zeppelins!

• Customizer

Presumably, unlike fighters, they can return to base after a mission.

I would give them a range of 8, so that a Zep can bomb London from Germany.

They could bomb Canada from Brest.

They could even bomb Washington from Spain.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m