Already Looking Forward to 1914 2nd Edition

• Things that I would hope the 2nd edition has:
    -Updated rules obviously
    -Enough pieces to play the game
    -More chips!!
    These are the major things.  There are a bunch of other things that could be changed but would alter the game.  Really though, shouldn’t the game at least come with enough pieces to play it?  Lots of people have said this already but I’m saying it again because it’s silly.  Germany uses all its infantry in the initial setup and has to improvise in its first buy.  You also run out of chips way too often.  I can live with not providing IPC’s or IPC charts or other cardboard accessories; it sucks, but I can live with it.  Not having enough pieces to play the game you’ve bought without having to struggle for a solution annoys me.  Just give me enough pieces!!

• I agree with you Ryguy completely. I have no problem with people who want to purchase multiple copies for their own benefit but to actually HAVE to purchase more than one game to actually play 1 is LUNACY to me. The sad fact is it wouldn’t have taken many more pieces to get the game we wanted. A total cost to them of about 3 dollars maybe.
    If they do an updated version I hope it is truly updated.

Better movement system
    More and better pieces
    Money
    Bigger map

• @Imperious:

Typical IL. Caught in a lie, and then he changes the subject.

cool story bro  :roll:

Typical Vonfartpants1914. Caught in a lie, and then he changes the subject.

Why can’t the moderators just stop the arguing?  Can’t we all just get along?

Anyway, I a about to play AA WW1 for the 1st time on July 13th which I am happy to say is my 40th B-day (not to be confused with D-day).  Which errata should I use (and/or any rules modifications)?

• '16

@Daedelus:

Anyway, I a about to play AA WW1 for the 1st time on July 13th which I am happy to say is my 40th B-day (not to be confused with D-day).  Which errata should I use (and/or any rules modifications)?

Check out Krieghund’s post on page 14 of the FAQ thread.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30272.195

And there is the “Potential” tournament rules, give it a look.
    http://harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18335

• Customizer

The movement issue remains the biggest problem with this, and indeed every other A&A game.

Land units moved at the same rate - that of the trains carrying them, so the 2 space move needs to become official, and then applied to all future WWII versions. Since there were no railways there, land movement in Africa should be by one space only.

I’d also like to see something done to make subs more useful; either a more powerful USW, or immunity from BBs.

Less likely to happen are board fixes, with historical borders for Greece/Bulgaria, Prussia/Poland, Finland/Norway, England/Scotland. Mexico added. More Med SZs.

Red revolutionary units for powers that have fallen into political collapse.

More logical rules for minor powers colonies.

America can do nothing until at war; Italy at war round two.

Economic Victory conditions (from PTR) rethought to make them more balanced.

I do not want more national units sculpts, since I only use the infantry & ships anyway.

• More pieces and more types of pieces.

Bigger, better connected board.

A legit IPC tracker.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

More hot chicks on the box cover.

• @Gargantua:

A meritorious suggestion, though I’m puzzled by the “more” part because (if I recall correctly), no chicks – hot or otherwise – have ever appeared on any A&A box covers.  Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg and wife of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, had a good shot at showing up on the cover art of the 1914 game, but the poor lady got snipped from the artwork’s adaptation of the famous photo I’ve copied below.  And in any case, at age 46 she was hardly a babe when this picture was taken.

Franz and Sophie.jpg

• TripleA '12

And in any case, at age 46 she was hardly a babe when this picture was taken.

Oh, I don’t know… she looks quite fit to me!  :wink:

Seriously though, I haven’t bought this game yet so you can put me down in the ‘waiting for 2nd Edition’ camp as well for all the reasons stated above.

• Customizer

I still think Franz Ferdinand looks like a Meerkat.

• it would be cool if they did strategic rails kinda like the burma road in global. like, the more tts you had containing the road, the more units you could place at the end of it. might balance out the defender’s advantage of the front being closer to their production facilities…

• @JankMacFly:

it would be cool if they did strategic rails kinda like the burma road in global. like, the more tts you had containing the road, the more units you could place at the end of it. might balance out the defender’s advantage of the front being closer to their production facilities…

Ok flash man, you know you keep talking about rails so much your going to drive everyone against them out if pure annoyance

• Customizer

• @Gargantua:

A picture of the russian Battalion of Death of 1917 maybe?  I am not sure if these girls were that hot…

• @Chacmool:

@Gargantua:

A picture of the russian Battalion of Death of 1917 maybe?  I am not sure if these girls were that hot…

Very interesting – I’d never heard of this group.  They had a great unit name too.  Another group with an impressive designation was Muammar Gaddafi’s all-female elite bodyguard unit, the Amazonian Guard, also known as the Revolutionary Nuns.  Too bad they’re in the wrong time period for A&A, unless of course Larry comes up with a late-20th century WWIII game at some point.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Just imagine two semi-uniformed babes mud-slinging it on the box cover, with a picture of the eastern front in the back drop.

Can’t say I’d complain.

Sorry Erwin, George, Monty, you guys just don’t have the same “goods”.

• @Gargantua:

Just imagine two semi-uniformed babes mud-slinging it on the box cover, with a picture of the eastern front in the back drop.

This picture might be a reasonable starting point for Garg’s proposal, though the box cover artist would need to do a bit of work to, um, flesh out the concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kovpak_partisanki.jpg

• This map (in larger size than first edition !!) would be my favourite map for second Edition. (of course it would be in english  :wink:

All changes:

2 more tts for Russia: St.Petersburg and Kaukasus ( Starting Set Up for both were the additional 3 Inf from the Tournement Rules)

1 more tt for Turkey: Armenia (Prevents Russian Units from taking Bagdad in Round 1)

Germany looking like Germany in 1914 not in 1919. Bulgaria reaches the coast/Finland no more.

Switzerland with its formidable army and difficult mountaineous region worth 3 IPC.

4 more USW-Zones (historical)

Mexico as Minor Power to simulate the Zimmermann-Note, some Zones for the US.

Konstantinopel is handled like Suez Canal along with one more SZ in the Med.

In Africa some colonies allow to place 1 Inf. when mobilzing your troops (brown K). (Mexico also)

I kept the rest from original game although there were some things I still don´t agree with (you can check out some of my maps in the 1914 map tweaks in the House Rules)  but for the simplicity of the game I can live with it.

My wish would be that it is forbidden for AH in the first turn to attack Italy or Romania because these two were Central Powers when AH declared war against Serbia in 1914.

1914Alpha9 (1) (1) (3).png

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m