• Weekend game report that resulted in a major Central Powers victory:

First, after much discussion we agreed not to use the optional Russian revolution rules. More about that later.
    We did use Kriegs new rule proposal for requiring a unit of your power to be in a territory for you to move to from a contested area.

The game began with Austria attacking Serbia as required and sending a massive attack on Romania, which she won, also pushed into Russia and set up a defensive front against Italy.  Austria’s boldest move was an attack on the Italian fleet; surviving the mines she sunk the Italian navy without suffering a single hit! This would have a major impact on the rest of the game.

Russia massed on the eastern front against this. Germany pushed a large force to the East while following the Schlieffen Plan by attacking through Holland and Belgium with success. She also sunk the British cruiser and transport of Canada with her subs without losing any.

France moved troops to the front and also activated Portugal with troops from Africa prepared to move home.
    Britain bolstered her fleet with another battleship and added transports. Troops in Africa moved to consolidate. Not much was done to pressure the Turks at this point and that would cause problems later.

Turkey helped out the Austrian effort against Russia and seized Sevastopol.  She cleaned up the conflict in Serbia and activated Bulgaria.

Italy moved to the front to match Austria, and the US began building transports.

Turn 2 saw the Central Powers hit Russia hard again. Austria once again with a bold naval attack moved in and sunk the Russian cruisers, again surviving the mines and taking no hits! France and Britain began to build up quick on the western front. Seeing the situation in the Balkans looking grim, France moved with 3 transports and troops from Portugal to land in Albania and activate it for Italy. Turkey moved to counter and consolidate gains in Russia.

Italy made a disastrous attack on Austria, the US continued to build.

Turn 3, Austria slowed the attack in Russia to counter the French in Albania, but counter attacked the Italians with good success. Russia made some bold counter attacks regaining some territory, but was being overmatched by German pressure.
    Germany now mad a calculated attack on the Grand Fleet. Taking only a single hit from mines on her battleship, the High Seas fleet destroyed the British navy and sunk 5 transports slowing her troop reinforcements. France now made a major push in the west and drove out the Germans who were concentrating more troops to the east. France withdrew from Albania to help defend the Italian frontier.

Britain rebuilt her fleet and tied to make a push on the Turks, but suffered several setbacks that Turkey exploited. Italy made one more attack on the Austrians and again another disaster occurred, leaving her weak. The US was prepared to declared war and move to the aid of the Allies.

Turn 4 and the Austrians and Germans had Russia pushed back to Moscow (note, had the Revolution rules been used it would have occurred this turn). Austria bought the first tank units and had built a large fighter corp. She now began to concentrate more strength against Italy and consolidated with the Germans on the gates of Moscow.  Russia was hanging on by a tread and the Germans begin to surround Moscow while she now started trying to stabilize the western front.

France and Britain now held a strong edge, had fighter superiority and pushed the Germans out of Asace, Munich, the Ruhr and Belgium! (15 IPCs). Britain had all but run the Germans out of Africa, but now had the Turks move in to contest Egypt and close the Suez Canal. Turkey was doing well holding several Russian territories, built tanks and fighters. Italy now could only try to build up her defense. The US moved her fleet and troops to Portugal to stage her entry into the war.

Turn 5 was the end for Russia as Austria captured Moscow knocking Russia out of the war. Austria hammered Italy hard taking Venice. Germany now went full bore on the western front, getting troops back in the line and starting to drive back the Allies.  France and Britain countered with some fierce battles. France also went after Austria in Italy, Turkey was winning in Egypt and Britain couldn’t get enough troops to stop them from taking it. The US sensing an Austrian breakthrough against the Italians land her 12 units in Piedmont. Germany began capturing northern Russian territories.

From turn 6 on, there were lots of back and forth battles on the western front, but eventually the Central Powers began to wear down the Allies with their greater IPCs. Turkey now was moving to clear out and capture Africa, Austria was on the gates of Rome, Germany came back with large stacks of artilly and tanks. Britain and the US just kept sending troops into the meat grinder alongside France.

Austria would soon capture Rome and was making big money! Turkey had knocked out all British troops in Africa and the Middle East by capturing Bombay. The Central powers now had all built massive navies (this was quite the arms race too) with all 3 powers having no less the 4 battleships each! Every neutral country except Norway and Spain was conquered by the Central Powers. The Allied fleets were hunkered down in two sea zones waiting to be hit at any moment by vast enemy armadas.

With the IPC count at 150 for the Central Powers to 62 for the Allies, Austrian and Turkish transports landing troops in southern France, Germany with a huge advancing army, and the fleets now sitting ducks, the Allies sued for peace and capitulated.

Observations:

Not using the Russian revolution rules benefits the Central Powers since if a revolution would have occurred it not only would have denied them a victory capital (didn’t matter with Rome falling), but more importantly it gave them the Russian IPCs and the ability to capture 12 more IPCs of territories. If I’m playing the Central Powers, there is no way I would agree to play with this optional rule ever.

Krieghunds new rule for moving from contested territories worked great. We will keep using it.

Tanks are DEFINITELY worthwhile! Especially in territories held by small numbers. The Central Powers captured Greece, Sweden and Denmark using them adding to their IPC total as well as in large battles.

Cruisers also worth it. Germany bought several more, moved them out into the shipping lanes and with their 3 area range forced the Allies to protect the transports moving troops from the US and Canada.

The killer combination was artillery and fighters. So much so that large stacks of guns was common even with minimal infantry support. Losses of artillery because of not having enough infantry was not of much concern since if you had air superiority you had large stacks of units that attacked and defended at a 4 for only 4 points each. At that value, you could afford to not worry about infantry.

Subs also were purchased, mostly to ensure more soak off for fleets in large battles.

Mines were no big deal at all. In the entire game only a single ship was lost to a mine, and there were multiple attacks on fleets in mined sea zones. Of course the luck could have gone the other way too.

Strategy matters. The Allied decision to put less effort in the east and put pressure on the Germans worked short term as they came close to breaking them early, but Russia went down quick allowing the Turks to move on Africa and Bombay and gave the Central Powers plenty of IPCs to eventually stop the drive on Berlin. The bold risk move by the Austrian navy paid off big in contesting the Mediterranean.

There are certainly less scripted moves and purchases in the opening turns of this game then the 1940 games; the key is balancing out your strategy for both the short term and long term.

Finally, with only a single round of land combat, luck tended to not be such a killer, if things went bad for the defender, as long as you held on you have a chance to reinforce your forces unlike AA WWII where you will be wiped out.
    This could well become my new favorite version from the Axis and Allies franchise of games.

Thanks Larry and Krieg!

Kim

• Sweet read!

Yeah, you had quite a number of lucky moves, but I still think that in your game the CP would have won, albeit a much closer game.

• I do not play with the Russian revolution rules either (overcomplicated mess lol)

And i agree with this being the best installment of A&A. I think some of the new mechanics need incorporated into all A&A titles (air supremacy/contested tts)

• '13

My first play threw saw an allied victory.

I honestly think that the only way the central powers can win is to get a navy that can beat back the allies. If that happens without drawing too many funds from the army like you did, the central powers are in a very good position to win. i will certainly try that strategy in my next play through. Also sounds that absorbing the neutral countries helped you for your victory. Interesting.

• Why did you attack so much with Italy? they have no chance in attacking the Austrians. Also how did you get Ottoman units into Africa?

• KimRYoung , bold move w/Austrian fleet, I give you that. The fact you killed the Italians w/o taking a hit was extremely lucky (then to do it again against the Russians, wow). I have to ask though, was the French and UK player asleep after that?  Why didn’t the French/UK double hit the mini Austrian fleet while it was in Italian waters? The French have the same fleet in sz15 (BB & cruiser), and the UK could play clean up w/2 cruisers (India cruiser can move 3 spaces) and don’t even have to worry about mines in Italian waters.

Also sounds like the Russian player might have been over aggressive early on trying to def Poland, and Romania (as many ppl do). We seem to have better luck with Russia abandoning Poland, and just activating Romania (if Austria didn’t attack it). By withdrawing to Ukraine you can mass over 40 units there R1 (it touches nearly everything you have). You will be giving up territory, but you can put up a pretty good defensive stand, and resupply from neighboring Moscow. It might cause a delay for the CP. If your not playing w/Russian Rev rules I don’t see how the CP can take down Moscow if you with draw. You can have over 60 units def Moscow, and the CP generally have about 30-35 each (they have to hit the wall independently, and you could have air over one or the other). Even if they get Moscow, the Russians have done there job, and there won’t be many CP units heading back.

Our games have also seen very heavy buys going to India, sometimes all UK income (to where we are thinking should that be allowed?). This is in games where the CP are going balls to the wall vs Russia. The UK has been the saving grace for the Russians a couple of times filtering up through Persia. They have also made landings in Karalia (to halt the Revolution in one game).

Any way I do have to question the play of the allies. You got really lucky with the naval battles, but it is really hard for the allies to lose naval dominance in this game. Sounds like it was a lot of fun though.

• @Siris101:

Why did you attack so much with Italy? they have no chance in attacking the Austrians. Also how did you get Ottoman units into Africa?

The Austrians did not leave a strong force defending the border as they had sent large forces into Russia. It just happen that when the Italians attacked, with a good chance of success, that the dice went against her with only a couple hits while the Austrians hit about 80% !

The Turks got into Africa by first capturing Egypt by land from Trans-Jordan, then marching across the continent.

Kim

• What did the UK do in the Mid east?  I find that even with minimal investment there the UK can hold off the Ottoman easily.

• Bill,

In hindsight, you’re probably correct about this. At the time, we just didn’t see it and too much focus on the western front.

The Austrians DID take out Romania on turn one, Russia did not withdraw. In fact she went on the attack a couple times capturing Galicia. At the time it looked like a good idea, but the Austrians and Germans and Turks pretty much went all out send the bulk of their forces into Russia. This was why the French and British were able to capture 3 German territories and free Belgium in the west.

I m sure next game the Russians will take a different approach if they are pushed like that again. As far as not using the optional Russian Revolution rules, at this point we believe they are to convoluted as far as the movement goes, and also depriving the CP of victory capital, but more importantly the IPCs from taking Moscow and the remaining territories. Just don’t see it as any advantage for the Central Powers.

I definitely agree the Allies under played the importance of sending troops into India and that was a lesson learned. Waited to long and the Turks captured Bombay.

As for the allies losing naval dominance, that occurred when the Central Powers gained a lead in the IPC race, and they all each had at least 4 battleships!

Looking forward to playing again next weekend and see lots of different strategies for both sides.

Thanks

Kim

• @BJCard:

What did the UK do in the Mid east?�  I find that even with minimal investment there the UK can hold off the Ottoman easily.

UK played poorly it seems. To much focus on the naval situation in the west after losing ships off Canada and seeing the German threat against the Grand Fleet.

When the Germans ran through the minefields and lost no ships and sank her fleet, she spent most of her money rebuilding.

The Turks made no attacks to treaten the UK early on, sending most everthing into Russia and Serbia, so I think the UK got lulled asleep. When the Turks turned to move on her, she could not afford the two front war and Russia was out by then.

Will definitely make sure to but more effort into the middle east next game!

Thanks BJ

Kim

• Wow that is a lot of CP Battleships!  How did they afford them and still have a large enough army?

• @BJCard:

Wow that is a lot of CP Battleships!  How did they afford them and still have a large enough army?

Near the end of the game the total IPC count was 150 for the CP to 60 for the Allies. They had over run Denmark, Sweden, Greece, Persia too.

They started buying a BB every turn and just built up large fleets to break up the transport shuttle from Uk and US.

Kim

• I agree with much of what Bill has said here. Playing the “keep the army in the field” and only fight their main force when you absolutely HAVE to strategy with both Russia and Italy, combined with heavy India investment with the Brits is the way to go for the Allies. I’m really hoping to find a CP strategy that can compete with this approach…

• Thank you for that KimRYoung.
    Made for a good read, but I think Allied errors won it for the CPs.
    Losing India and Africa should not happen and as UK I would never build Transports on T1. Protect the existing fleet with a 24 or 30 IPC build.
    Navy and control of the seas is all important.

• Interesting game.  I would like to see how it played out if replayed exactly, because some of those lucky rolls seemed to be in very significant engagements.  Even so, it’s another interesting take on the game.

For the record, when I clicked on this I was hoping perhaps it was Kim Jong-un’s game report.  ;)

• @Suvorov:

Interesting game.  I would like to see how it played out if replayed exactly, because some of those lucky rolls seemed to be in very significant engagements.  Even so, it’s another interesting take on the game.

For the record, when I clicked on this I was hoping perhaps it was Kim Jong-un’s game report.  ;)

Would be funny.  It would be like Spanish Morocco being a separate power and declaring to the world they are invading Germany…

• Guy’s, I’m just a 60 year old white dude. But for many years for those who have not meet me always think I’m Korean. In fact in Korea, Young Kim is about as comman a name as John Smith.

My name comes from the Rudyard Kipling book “Kim” which was made into a movie that my mom saw when she was pregnant with me. She just liked the name.

Kim Jung Un probably would only like this game if he could get tech rolls to try for long range nukes  :lol:

Kim

• @rjpeters70:

Dude, no offense was meant whatsoever.  I was not knocking you or Koreans at all (I’ve even been to the ROK, and loved it).  It’s just the first thing that jumps in my head these days, given that we have a crazy dictator actively threatening nuclear war named Kim.

I’m not offended at all RJ, just letting everyone know who I am. It was also bad in the late 60’s when the name Kim became a common girls name (short for Kimberly), then if they didn’t know, they thought I was a girl. In H.S. I got put in an all girls health education class, which I thought was great! I still get mail to Ms. Kim Young  :lol:

Kim (white, non-Korean male  8-)

• @KimRYoung:

@rjpeters70:

Dude, no offense was meant whatsoever.�  I was not knocking you or Koreans at all (I’ve even been to the ROK, and loved it).�  It’s just the first thing that jumps in my head these days, given that we have a crazy dictator actively threatening nuclear war named Kim.

I’m not offended at all RJ, just letting everyone know who I am. It was also bad in the late 60’s when the name Kim became a common girls name (short for Kimberly), then if they didn’t know, they thought I was a girl. In H.S. I got put in an all girls health education class, which I thought was great! I still get mail to Ms. Kim Young  :lol:

Kim (white, non-Korean male  8-)

For what it’s worth, I know a Korean named Robert E. Lee.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m