Historically accurate setup

• Germany invaded France with:
    141 divisions of infantry
    7300 guns
    2500 tanks
    5600 aircraft

This is not correct.  Tanks are correct (probably 2300 actually). Aircraft is more like 2800, Infantry is more like 97.

I will check and come back

• http://ww2total.com/WW2/History/Orders-of-Battle/Germany/German-Orders-of-Battle-June-1940.htm

http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germany/40-05-10_army/_okh.html ( on this site count all the XX divisions from each category)

Don’t use Wikipedia for anything factual. It is a guideline or quick reference and by no means accurate ( for the most part)

The totals for the ENTIRE German army: ( deployed in the east, Norway, Denmark, and elsewhere in Germany)

By May 1940, the number of divisions in the German army was as follows:

129 infantry divisions;
       8 motorised infantry divisions (3 Waffen-SS);
       10 panzer divisions;
       3 mountain divisions;
       1 cavalry division;
       2 airborne divisions;

• i went to http://ww2total.com/WW2/History/Orders-of-Battle/Germany/German-Orders-of-Battle-June-1940.htm many times but never actually examined it.

if this is the total that means every single tank division Germany had was going into france?

By May 1940, the number of divisions in the German army was as follows:
    129 infantry divisions;
    8 motorised infantry divisions (3 Waffen-SS);
    10 panzer divisions;          <–---------- 10 panzer divisions
    3 mountain divisions;
    1 cavalry division;
    2 airborne divisions;

For the invasion of France the German Army was organised into three army groups:
    Army Group A (von Rundstedt) with 45 1/2 divisions including 7 panzer;
    Army Group B (von Bock) with 29 1/2 divisions including 3 panzer, and                      <----------- 10 panzer divisions
    Army Group C (von Leeb) with 19 divisions.

• about the picture on ww2total, is that all of army group A and B going through the ardennes from what would be Holland/Belgium on the Axis and allies map??

also according to stats on ww2total, i should take a BB out of SZ 95 and change their air deployment to:

North italy: 1 bomber, 1 ftr

South Italy: 1 tac

• if this is the total that means every single tank division Germany had was going into France?

NO it is the entire GERMAN ARMY deployed all over controlled areas ( Germany as reserve , Norway, Denmark, Poland, etc.). From that about 80-90 total divisions went to France. Count the divisions in the order of battle from here:

http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germany/40-05-10_army/_okh.html ( count XX only, you don’t need to deal with regiments)

• @Imperious:

if this is the total that means every single tank division Germany had was going into France?

NO it is the entire GERMAN ARMY deployed all over controlled areas ( Germany as reserve , Norway, Denmark, Poland, etc.). From that about 80-90 total divisions went to France. Count the divisions in the order of battle from here:

http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germany/40-05-10_army/_okh.html ( count XX only, you don’t need to deal with regiments)

no i know this is the total deployment. what i was pointing out is this. ON the total deployment list they have 10 panzer divisions. On the list for the battle of france, germany had 7 panzer divisions in army group A and 3 in army group B.

so if they totalled 10 divisions and attacked with 10. that means they used all theyre tanks in france, no?

also the niehorster.orbat website i think i counted 8 divisions of tanks. That website is making my brain melt

• In some cases they used most or all of their strength ( panzer) But infantry figures from earlier post is way off. If 10 is the figure then that’s 5 tanks ( ratio is 2:1 for this) however Germany had the best armor units at this time, so you might have to alter ratio for them to 1:1.5
    The site that makes you sick is the more accurate site BTW.

• i dont wanna change the ratios because the units on the board represent size, not quality. The changes in dice #'s on a D12 or D20 can reflect the quality.

Just cant read the other site lmao

• Very good point Keodis

Does anyone even have a rough outline of a nation by nation D-12 combat values chart?

• IL made one long time ago. i posted it here. check page 3 or 4

• Germany:
    Holland/Belgium: 12 inf, 1 mech, 5 tank, 1 SS mech
    Western Germany: 4 inf , 1 SS mech <– possibly was located in Germany not western.
    Denmark: 1 inf
    Norway: 1 inf
    Poland: 2 inf
    Greater Southern Germany: 1 inf
    Germany: 4 inf

There is no Wehrmacht/keer info on slovakia or hungary. Unless you are 100% sure the units you posted that are located there are correct.
    I have information on Luftwaffe #'s but no location information!!!

• so right now, im done european sides of USA, UK (some tweaking still going on), italy, france (except for mainland france), Germany is half done,

http://ww2total.com/WW2/History/Orders-of-Battle/Russia/Red-Army-1939.htm  site dont give much info on russia. and theres alot less info on russia then any other site. i think they are going to take a while.

once im done everything on the european side. ill post it. then go to pacific side ( pacific should be quick i trust IL’s sources )

then onto rules, dice and other stuff.

• There is no Wehrmacht/keer info on slovakia or hungary

Hungary will not have German forces at this point. Slovakia might have 1-2 INF.

• ok ill add the inf.

im going to use the grand total chart for the battle of france part of this link to setup the luftwaffe

http://sturmvogel.orbat.com/Aug40.html#5/40

do i only use what they had “on hand”?

and just to make sure, is Jagdgruppen or Kampfgruppen fighter planes? i know stuka would be tacbombers and i think Zerstörergruppen is bombers but i am unsure.

• do i only use what they had “on hand”?

For the aggregate totals by type yes.

and just to make sure, is Jagdgruppen or Kampfgruppen fighter planes? i know stuka would be tacbombers and i think Zerst�rergruppen is bombers but i am unsure.

These are German vernacular for groups of planes… e.g. “squadrons”.  To determine of it goes in category: Fighters, Fighter-bomber, or Bomber, look at the plane type listed.

• im going to use the grand total chart for the battle of france part of this link to setup the luftwaffe

http://sturmvogel.orbat.com/Aug40.html#5/40

Yes but note that is only for France campaign, they had other planes allocated to all the other areas they control.

• sorry to say. I was able to get Usa, Uk, italy, and france done in only a couple hours. But ive spent 6 hours alone on just trying to find locational info on the luftwaffe, and yesterday i decided to skip the luftwaffe and go for russia.

There were many other site for accurate info on the other countries, but when it came to the luftwaffe and russia as a whole, its extremely hard to find.
    If anyone has hard info not on the net or had links to sites that dont come up with normal searches, it would be greatly appreciated.

in the mean time im going to revise post setups and possibly move to the pacific side of the board.

thx everyone

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

LOL…

I can’t wait to see this finished result.

• whats the LOL for?

and ive taken a break if u guys cant tell lmfao.

probably until info on the luftwaffe and russia turns up so i can finish em.

• Im working on a 1939 map file to compliment the data. However, some of the area names on the map will be changed ( to be Historical). Once you got the setup complete, you should look at changes to how units rate by nation and study the positional situation, looking for problems where due to the turn sequence some nations might have an unfair advantage.

Secondly, I will change the IPC values somewhat from data i have from author Mark Harrison ( he wrote The Economies of World War Two) so they are more realistic. I would work on the national unit value list ( using d12) and employing all the HBG units ( well most of them). ON a whole the changes would not be drastic.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m