Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• Well, my 1st edition Europe manual says there are 564 plastic miniatures, and the Pacific manual says 454 plastic miniatures (and that was back when they weren’t giving you enough Japanese tactical bombers)

I don’t have a breakdown of how many of each type (like how many American transports, how many German mechanized infantry, etc etc)

This FAQ thread is actually for rules questions.  You might try asking your question by starting a new topic in the Global 1940 forums.

• TripleA

Can you retreat transports from an amphibious assault?

Say you try to unload 2 infantry on Korea, you send 2 fighters to battle sz 6 against a scramble and Japan scrambles 1 fighter and your units go poof! Can you retreat the transport?

What makes it different than trying to amphi assualt london and losing the naval battle? I always thought if that happens I lose all my boats and units on it.

• '12

@Cow:

Can you retreat transports from an amphibious assault?

Say you try to unload 2 infantry on Korea, you send 2 fighters to battle sz 6 against a scramble and Japan scrambles 1 fighter and your units go poof! Can you retreat the transport?

What makes it different than trying to amphi assualt london and losing the naval battle? I always thought if that happens I lose all my boats and units on it.

This guy is in the final?  :roll:

• Yes you can retreat transports.  It still takes hits to destroy them.  They are only auto-destroyed on defense when there are no other defending combat units left to fight.

There is no difference between being repelled by the fighter in Z6 or the fleet in Z110.  You can retreat transports only from any battle when you are the attacker.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Suppose London is axis controlled and USA controls Gibraltar.  If USA buys a new airbase and liberates London, can the new airbase be placed in Gibraltar, or does Gibraltar become UK property in the american combat phase?

The reason I ask is because in my game with suprise attack I wanted to have some UK planes that were in Gibraltar finish off the German fleet in z112 and land on american carriers in z110, but then I wasn’t able to place my airbase with triplea  :-P

• Official Q&A

Gibraltar reverts to UK control immediately upon the liberation of London, so no US air base there.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Great.  thanks Krieghund

• Hey guys. Couple questions. I play with a few house rules, so bare with me if these sound confusing.

1.) When it comes to submarines, I usually choose the following options when it comes to sea attack:

• If no DD present, the attacking SS can do the following: launch a surprise strike (upon which the casualties must be removed immediately, equivalent to shore bombardment.) If the SS does not eliminate all defending ships, they roll their defense.
      2.) For round 2 of combat, the SS can then either continue the attack (no surprise strike option any more obviously), submerge, or retreat.

Yes?

3.) Submarines can submerge only on defense, correct?

4.) Is this example correct?

2 UK BB vs 1 GE SS

• 1 GE SS can either submerge or surprise strike on defense. It chooses to defend. It rolls a 1.

• 2 UK BB (1 damaged) can now roll their attack. They roll a 4. Sub is dead.

• Does the sub get a casualty/defensive roll?

• '12

Subs only get one roll per round of combat.

• Right. When can submarines submerge, exactly?

• Welcome to A&A.org, MNGruber

Couple things

Units hit by shore bombardment DO get to return fire.  They are not like submarine surprise strike victims.

Subs only roll once per round as Boldfresh pointed out.  If they have a surprise strike capability, then they roll first, but not again later.

Generally, subs submerge when they would normally be rolling dice.
    If there is no enemy destroyer present, the sub can submerge before any shots are fired by anyone.

This means that if you do not have a destroyer present, you can NOT EVER force a defending sub to fight.  It can always immediately submerge.  This includes if you have subs yourself (but no destroyer).  You can’t make a defending sub fight without having a destroyer yourself.  As soon as you lose your last destroyer, the next round, the defending subs can submerge.  (Same would be true for attacking subs)

After the round that the last destroyer is sunk, any remaining enemy submarines (whether attacking or defending, it does not matter) will get their special abilities back.  (Submerge, surprise strike)

If this doesn’t completely answer your questions, feel free to ask follow up questions and someone will help you with them.

• Note that, if you play with the Triple A program, it does NOT currently handle submarine warfare correctly according to the rulebook.  The designer is working on fixing this.

• Shore bombardment casualties get to return fire? When did this feature change, exactly? Is this a 2nd Edition addition?

• @MN.Gruber06:

Shore bombardment casualties get to return fire? When did this feature change, exactly? Is this a 2nd Edition addition?

I think this change happened Anniversary or before.  It may only be an A&A Original rule that they can’t return fire.

• Official Q&A

The only version of A&A in which units hit by shore bombardment did not return fire was Revised (2004).

• '20 '16 '15 '14

@Krieghund:

The only version of A&A in which units hit by shore bombardment did not return fire was Revised (2004).

With all due respet to the very honorable Krieghund, my first edition, original Axis & Allies game that I got when I was about 13 (The MB Gamemaster series circa 1984) also had the rule that units hit by shore bombardment did not return fire.

• '12

gamer man with his elephantile memory can verify but I recall that being true of the original as well.

• Official Q&A

From page 17 of the 1st Edition (1984) Classic rules:

In an amphibious assault with a battleship, the attacking battleship fires before all other attacking units (even though it is in column 4, the last column on the battle board to attack).  To fire the battleship, roll a die for each attacking battleship in the assault.  Any hits are scored on a die roll of “4” or less.  The defender chooses casualties and moves them below the casualty line.

From page 15 of the 2nd Edition (1986) Classic rules:

If a battleship accompanies a transport in an amphibious assault, the battleship has a special firing privilege called a one-shot support attack - that is each battleship fires once at any enemy units defending the embattled coastal territory.  Any defending enemy unit is hits on a die roll of 4 or less and is considered a casualty - still able to counter-attack when the defender fires.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Well, I hope someone can help me out here, as my rulebook apparently has not survived my three children.  I even remember specific instructions as to how the pieces were to be placed in the box as they did “not” return fire.  Anyone?  I mean, there was only one version for us back then, so I don’t think we all misread the rules….

• Mine has survived.  I’ll look it up tonight, Dizz

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m