• What about a Soviet NO such as 3 or 5 ipc each for soviet control of leningrad and stalingrad. Theme Not one step back. However any additional Ipc bonus would make the game very predicable I.e Germany would have to do barbarossa every time, in my opinion.

• @Gamerman01:

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6149&start=3176

Kreighund confirms that in the reprint, the 0 IPC Italian territory NO has been changed.  So maybe only 6 IPC’s of bonus in Africa for Russia now.

Really? I saw at the above stated part of the thread that someone (“mantlefan”) expressed his hope for the editing of the NOs just after Krieghund’s confirmation. Krieghund did not answer to that. Or was it in one of the 397 pages of the thread before?

• Looked again -
    posts are backwards from the way I have them on this site.  I was reading in the wrong order, so never mind.

dJensen is sending me an advance copy of the new rulebooks so that I can make lists of all the changes so that he can post them.  We’ll know everything for sure, soon.

• TripleA

w/e russia sucks in global, we should all make it suck more. GG

Maybe we should just forget russia existed and make an axis and allies game without it.

• @knp7765:

Hey Cow,
    You mentioned earlier that if Germany pulls off a Sealion, Japan will likely win in the Pacific because the US will spend too much in the Atlantic trying to liberate London. Well, what if the US doesn’t do that? What if the US keeps spending the majority of it’s income in the Pacific and proceeds to pound Japan out of existence?
    I remember one game where Germany took London and the Allies ended up winning that game and never liberated London. There were German units in the UK right up to the fall of Berlin.

I see this a lot as well on TripleA. Russia can hold out for quite a while while collecting the big bucks with the NO. Especially if Germany is blowing tons of IPCs to convoy USA when USA can spend 1 turn to send a few DD and a bunnch of planes. UK can have an aggressive UK1 and slap italy hard in 96, 97, and (if Lowluck) tobruk, sending only 1 ftr and 1 bmb from UK. If that tempts sealion, all the better. UK can easily keep italy away from Iraq long enough for Russia to get it (assuming G3 sealion).

Cow, If Germany is blowing a ton of money on subs to convoy the USA (How many subs are necessary on average to convoy the USA out of 32 IPC? 16?), how does that affect other areas of the map?

Don’t forget this allegedly fabulous German navy  costs IPCs, and those are IPCs that are needed to push russia back too.

If I am USA I rejoice if the Germans are so close. When someone suggests going all Japan, that doesn’t mean they have to keep doing so once Germany tosses it’s navy at the americans.

• TripleA

The pacific victory tends to come in under 10 rounds. The timing of your moves is critical. You can threaten USA with existing naval no problem (after london takedown on g3 you have a ton of transports) and carriers for your existing aircraft.

All of a sudden USA has to dump a bunch of stuff in the atlantic. From gibraltar you can easily raid the middle east and end the Russian NO.

Russia can send mech to Asia to compensate for germany troubling USA (since it cost you way less money fighting on your half of europe than it does for russia, it is more efficient to trouble japan who has logistics issues getting units to Asia).

The timing of what you do is important.

Also it is not hard to push russia out out of originally germany/italian/pro axis spots post sea lion, unless you lost all your armor or something.
    ~

In any case USA is not going to want to just let you cross gibralatar with that giant fleet… take middle east head over to the pacific and get wild like that. Like I said, I seen 20 units in australia once… it was hilarious.

• I can’t see Germany fighting the USSR if they take London (Loose a bunch of ground forces and some planes) and the move their fleet down to Gibraltar (fully loaded to threaten USA) and still winning their fights against the USSR in eastern Europe and Finland/Scandinavia.

Doesn’t seem very likeley.

• @cenator01:

I can’t see Germany fighting the USSR if they take London (Loose a bunch of ground forces and some planes) and the move their fleet down to Gibraltar (fully loaded to threaten USA) and still winning their fights against the USSR in eastern Europe and Finland/Scandinavia.

Doesn’t seem very likeley.

I would agree on this

• TripleA

it is easy to push russia out, he is closer to your 2 major industrials. In one turn with the london cash flow you can make enough units to kick him out.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

I don’t know Cow. We can try it out, but if you’ve got 20 units in Australia, that means you spent close to 20 on Sealion, built 20 to send to Australia AND had plenty of money to build and fight the Russians? How did you keep the Nordic countries? What about the Balkans?

Seems like all this talk of Russia sucking in Global might just be a weak opponent.  :-D Any Russian worth their guff would have you pinned to the wall if you flew off with all your planes and an extra 20 guys…

• TripleA

canuck you are bad, I don’t even know why you play. also when you do get to do sea lion usually you have all your armor and air left. If USA is not going atlantic it is easy to push russia out go all out for moscow. It is also easy to threaten usa and then enter the med with that giant fleet.

You only need to do one big drop on nov or norway, before going out. Also you already have 8 units up top in norway/finland, it is not like you have to pick those units up to drop on london.

Sea lion is still strong when you get the odds for it. you have to balance what you keep up top with what you got to push out russia from romania.

Actually, no canuck, you can look at many games and see that germany owns russia even after shipping 20 units off. Depends on france / yugo casualties.

• @Cow:

Sea lion is still strong when you get the odds for it.

My ANZAC Battleship Extravaganza is strong too, when I get the odds for it.

• TripleA

Except every game you play, G1 is the same attacks with different results. G2 is loaded with different opportunities based on the success of the same G1 you do everygame. Sometimes yourbship is untilted and sometimes it is dead and sometimes uk wiffs and your bship hits, as a result sea lion comes up often.

Quit being idiots that pretend sea lion does not ever work.

Russia needs this bonus. If germany goes all out barb, russia is dead come rounds 6 - 8 and this bonus won’t come into play.

The allies don’t have very many options to begin with. So if this bonus gets nerfed you have to compensate. Russia’s first NO is seldom made.

• I hear ya, Cow, but how does this bonus help Russia?  Russia has to send units down to Africa to get it!  About the time they get there, Russia could be taken over and the money goes to Germany.  Italy is getting extra income and UK is not getting it, and is avoiding taking Italian territories?

Again, how does this bonus really even help Russia anyway?

This NO sucks, plain and simple.

• TripleA

It does not help russia when germany goes barb, it helps russia when germany goes sea lion. Since now Russia is tasked with providing men to hold up the middle east / africa.

A little bit of compensation for taking over a responsibility is nice.

If Russia was able to make other NO money, then maybe UK would not put itself at risk every other game, and instead make london an iron mountain.

There are two countries that can attack round 1 in a typical game, UK and China. The reason london got beefed up was because the allies were super boring round 1, full turtle, pretty lame, only country with attacks was china.

That was stupid. Oh wait I forgot UK could sink a transport. OOOOOOOO. SO AWESOME.

I like the bonus, makes the allies less screwed when london gets taken down. Playing the allies is boring enough as it is, maybe some players want to take a few risks to spice it up, which is what happens in most games.
    ~
    This poll has been done already, most players prefer playing the axis in global even in alpha 3.

So we should hit Russia, the most boring of the countries, with a nerfbat to a national objective. Freaking brilliant.
    HOW ABOUT THIS, RUSSIA HAD A BOMBER AT THE START OF WW2, WHERE IS RUSSIA’S BOMBER? OH THAT IS RIGHT THEY DON’T START WITH ONE, OH SHNAP WHERE IS THE BOMBER SON? WHAT GERMANY HAS 11 AIRCRAFT AND ITALY HAS 3. LOOOOOL. AND YOU WONDER WHY NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY RUSSIA?!?!? FREAKING ITALY GETS A BOMBER.

• @Cow:

It does not help russia when germany goes barb, it helps russia when germany goes sea lion. Since now Russia is tasked with providing men to hold up the middle east / africa.

Ahhh - didn’t think of that because I’ve been making Sealion a bad idea.  So UK needs to lay off Ethiopia on round 1?

Guess I’m in the minority - I would much rather play the Allies.  Only problem is people keep quitting at round 4 when all their fun is over and mine is just beginning…

• TripleA

global takes awhile, which is why you got to do your turns really fast. I only play on the triple a lobby or in tournaments… otherwise good luck.

• Takes our group 4-5 hours a week for 3-4 weeks to finish a game. One word…… Epic.

• TripleA

a month to do a game and you have to reserve a spot somewhere for the board to be untouched… or take note of everything…

Writting down everything is too much effort. Leaving it in a spot involves risk, because that is a whole week it has to go untouched and it is a pretty big board.

your group is strange in that it is comprised of beginners that actually dedicate effort to play a game.

• IF we get rid of the russian NO applying to africa, then i suggest a new one. How about +5 for allied control of NWP and CP.  Russia recieved alot for foreign aid from this area during the war, so it could be considered lend lease aswell.  “Persian Corridor”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m