How many IPC's would YOU pay for a (self-propelled) "Mobile Artillery" unit?

• Hypothetically:

Mobile Artillery
    Attack 2, Defense 2, Move 2
    Supports Infantry on Attack (or Tanks?)

M7 Priest (USA)
    Sexton (UK)
    Katyusha (USSR)
    Hummel (Germany)
    Type 4 Ho-Ro (Japan)

Also:
    Semovente 90/53 (Italy)
    Sexton (ANZAC)
    France ???

• 5/6 IPC

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

It would have to be 5.

for 6 I would just build a tank, for 4 I would just build a Mec or and Art.

• @Gargantua:

It would have to be 5.

for 6 I would just build a tank, for 4 I would just build a Mec or and Art.

If it also increases a tank’s attack to 4, then I’d say 6 IPC

Increasing a tank attack to 4 is crazy…

• @Gargantua:

Increasing a tank attack to 4 is crazy…

Already happens when a Tac Bomber is present.

No no no… the TAC is increased to 4. Not the tank. :)

And that’s $17 worth of units we’re talking about, not $11 or $12.

• Has to be 6 I think. And I would love some, but as Germany would never  be able to afford them. Maybe at 5, could only support Infantry. Would be so annoying to lose them too!
    Tank attacking at 4 is too powerful.

• @wittmann:

Has to be 6 I think. And I would love some, but as Germany would never  be able to afford them. Maybe at 5, could only support Infantry. Would be so annoying to lose them too!
    Tank attacking at 4 is too powerful.

What about a combo? When a tank is paired with mech inf + mech art it gets its attack raised to 4.

If they are 6, then with 12 you can get a tank and a mech art that have a combined power of 6 attack and 5 defense. Or you can have two tanks, 6 attack, 6 defense. Most purchases should be made of only tanks but adding 1 or 2 mech art to the middle for some flexibility.

• Customizer

I think 5 IPCs would be a good price for a SPG unit.
    It should NOT provide a boost to tanks. I agree that tanks attacking at 4 would be too strong. Also, thanks to HBG, we are getting some heavy tanks available, at least for Germany (Tiger) and Russia (KV-2). Those would be your attack @ 4 units. I think heavy tanks should be Attack 4, Defend 4, Move 1, Cost 8, NO Blitz. The movement of 1 and no blitz are because they were so big and heavy, sort of a trade off for the heavy attack and defend power. Also thinking of the idea of making them 2 hit units to make up for the extra cost. They get repaired if they survive the battle, like BBs in 1942.

As for SPGs, they should provide a boost to infantry and mech infantry. Finally we would have a unit that could keep up with the mech infantry so mechs wouldn’t loose their boost provider when they speed off away from regular artillery. Now if you want a pair for attack and don’t need the speed, you spend $7 and get an artillery and an infantry. If you do need the speed, you spend $9 and get a mech infantry and an SPG. Great pairs.

One Question: Would an SPG be able to blitz like a tank?

• Not by itself. Mech inf cannot without a Tank. An SPG should be a support unit, not a breakthrough one, I think.

• Definitely $5, but be careful because this unit would give a huge bump to Germany against Russia if you allow it to combine arms with mechs.  It would have to only increase attack value of infantry but not mechs, or else Germany would never build another tank, just mobile artillery and mechanized infantry (because with mech/mobile artillery you would get the same punch for $9 versus a tank/mech for $10).  Having it combine arms only with infantry would put a limit on things, so just as mechs are limited by slow moving artillery, the mobile artillery unit would be limited by the slow moving infantry they need to pair up with.  It should not combine arms with tanks or tacs, and no blitzing.

• I think Mech should count. As you’ve said Vance you could save 1IP, and 2*2s  are as good as a 3 and 1, but the Tank still has the Blitz advantage and if you take a hit, you would still have one unit defending on a 3(better than a 2).
    I can see buying time taking longer as we ponder the multiple  options!

• If you allow mobile artillery to boost mechs attack to 2, then you would have to have something similar for the defending side (i.e. Russia) to bump defense by about the same amount for the same price (a $5 unit that defends at 2 but increases a paired infantry or mech’s defense to 3).  Maybe a tank destroyer that is attack 2, defense 2, move 2, cost 5, increases a paired infantry/mech defense +1, no blitz.   It would be just like the mobile artillery unit, but in reverse: increasuing a paired infantry/mech’s defense instead of offense.

• Nice idea Vance. Stugs and TD did not have a mobile turret, so were better in a static defence and were considerably cheaper to build.
    We could go on forever with this!
    (Count me out tonight as I have a busy evening at work.)

• Can’t be 4 or you would never buy normal artillery

Can’t be 6 or you would just buy a Tank

Has to be 5. and I would say yes can Blitz with tanks but not without them just like mech. Inf. oh and supports inf. like normal artillery does

• it has to be 5 and it has to be 3-2-2-5 unit. No other way makes sense.

• Customizer

3 is too strong for attack. Unit should be 2-2-2-5.
    Regular artillery attack at 2, so a mobile artillery should not attack stronger. They already have the bonus of movement.

• 2-2-2-5 supports inf., supports mech inf, Blitz with tank.

It would be the same idea of a mech inf compared to normal inf. +1 cost for the bonus movement, and blitz with tank.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Yavid:

2-2-2-5 supports inf., supports mech inf, Blitz with tank.

Looks like the best idea. Attack on 3 essentially would make it a tank at 1 IPC cheaper. Nobody would buy tanks anymore.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m