• hey. i need some advice with italy. i still play the true version, alpha 2, but i guess alpha 3 is almost the same thing, except weird russian bonusses (?)
    should italy focus on western mediterranean (so algeria, morocco, gibraltar) or on the eastern part? (airbase in greece I2, landing in syria and taking iraq). i dunno what to do. perhaps even break out of the med (land in french west africa?) or even take egypt (is it even possible?)
    please, post some ideas and/or advice, for global as for europe.  thx

• (talking global, where UK can get help from India)

As an Allies player, what i worry about most from Italy are the can openers they send to the Eastern front.

Also bothersome are their attacks on Gibraltar and the Middle East (or trying to close the Suez Canal). Nothing that can be fixed but it can be annoying (and that is what i think is most of Italy’s job…)

Edit: about Morocco, Algeria, etc… as Allied player i can only hope that Italy takes those french territories, so i can take them back and make them English / American. And i will.
    So, as Italy it’s best to leave those as they are.

Breaking out of the Med seems suicide as well…

• with italy and all else fails, re-enforce france to free up germans to fight russians. With Italy is a long uphill battle. If you get to the top of the hill the prize is your a monster just as hard to stop as German herself, if you get pushed back down the hill then you’re stuck as german’s side-kick

• you can land forces on algeria, morocco and gibraltar at I2. gives you twice the north-africa bonus, accompagnied by their IPC’s. i think it’s worth it, because a) the allies need to take back those territories, buying a bit of time for the axis and b) the bonusses mean the axis will have had more income from those territories than the allies.

• TripleA

Wow, people still play alpha 2. That is hilarious.

I prefer alpha 3, but I guess if I want to play 10 more hours I’ll hop over to alpha 2… NAH.

• Go 4 North afrika bonus then straight 4 Persia, Iraq and so on! So much NO over there!!! And wait with Egypt until u got enough! All u need is a little help from the Germans!

PPP

• If you are playing a good UK playing who is determined to not relinquish the Med to Italy, because he knows how useful a wealthy ally is to Germany, you will be lucky to be any stronger than Italy was historically.
    1st turn you are lucky to have more than one transport and it is probable both SZs 96 and 97 will be hostile and any movement East blocked. Dropping 2 Inf in Gib would be my choice, but only if you can hold on to it ( US not in the war).You must not get sidetracked either. You have one job: taking and hanging on to Egypt. Is easy to go West in North Africa, but if it prevents an easy capture of Egypt it does not help the European Axis. If UK builds a Factory in Egypt, goes without saying, you must not let him build there. Capture it and then the Middle East riches should be yours.

• erverybody just says ‘take middle-east and egypt’
    yeah, if it was that simple i wouldn’t be asking it here…
    and taking gibraltar first round is quite useless, cause you do not control greece yet.

• I like to buy a tank and mech every turn and send them towards russia.Can open for Germany to take down Russia faster. I usually attack Russia on I3 to set up for G4. Obviously all this depends on what the German player is doing.

• @keplar:

I like to buy a tank and mech every turn and send them towards russia.Can open for Germany to take down Russia faster. I usually attack Russia on I3 to set up for G4. Obviously all this depends on what the German player is doing.

Indeed, if they are synced perfectly, it can be very deadly for Russia…

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Yes, on G2, buy 10 artillery in Germany (cheap strong attack power when combined with Infantry). Attack Baltic States and Estern Poland I3.

On G2, move West Germans AA guns to Germany

On G3, mov artillery + 6 AA guns to Poland

On G4, reinforce Baltic States with the 10 artillery, 6 AA guns, the infantries/artillery/mech units from the original setup (should be 16+ infantry, + a good 3 other artillery) + German air force planes. No need to declare war, collect 5 IPC one last time.

The Russian player will need to abandon Leningrad because of the considerable offensive power of these units (and won’t be able to counterattack because planes will be helping the defence).

A Medium Italian force (constantly reinforced) should be able to clear the path every single turn for this stack to advance (supported as appropriate by follow through mechanized units). If the russians leave a sustantial stack to block this, the italians pass on and the Germans go kill russians with their robust airforce (even better if the Germans have a big enough stack to risk it and go on their own without the airforce).

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

IMHO, Africa is a pipedream.  I take Egypt and Jordan if only for no other reason than to get the Italian fleet out and around to help Japan win, or annoy the allies somewhere.  Other than that, I want Persia (8 IPC if you count the NOs) and start helping in S. Russia/India with the Italians.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Cmdr:

IMHO, Africa is a pipedream.  I take Egypt and Jordan if only for no other reason than to get the Italian fleet out and around to help Japan win, or annoy the allies somewhere.  Other than that, I want Persia (8 IPC if you count the NOs) and start helping in S. Russia/India with the Italians.

Any point in taking the French territories in North Africa?

I think this is a nice to have (e.g., when Irak is taken), more than a have to have.

• Opinion is divided. Some say take them as they are there and easy to take. Others say not to, as you are always going to lose them to the US and they can then add their value to their income.(Cannot if Axis do not take them from France 1st.)
    Concentrate on Egypt’s capture. Then take them if you are able and if it helps your Axis strategy.
    Do not lose sight of the objective: are you trying to win with European Axis or with Japan?

The only French territories I take before America’s in the war are: Normandy, S. France and France.

I generally dont take FIC until I have Calcutta.
    I generally dont take N. Africa until Germany/Italy have naval supremecy in the Atlantic.

I am way more focused on getting Italian/Germany complexes in Persia/Iraq to open a 3rd front on Russia than I am N. Africa.  More NOs in Russia than Africa.

• TripleA

damn jen you winning everywhere, how u do this?

you do j3 india still even in alpha3?

the 3 java fighters fly in on round 2… how u take calcutta???

You don’t have to take Calcutta though.  2 Submarines in SZ 39 with no other Indian holdings neutralizes them pretty effectively.  India only has two options at that point, try for the middle east and give India to Japan, or stay stacked there, but be unable to build anything while Italy/Germany get their complexes going in Persia, Iraq, Turkey and Arabia.

• @wittmann:

Opinion is divided. Some say take them as they are there and easy to take. Others say not to, as you are always going to lose them to the US and they can then add their value to their income.(Cannot if Axis do not take them from France 1st.)
    Concentrate on Egypt’s capture. Then take them if you are able and if it helps your Axis strategy.
    Do not lose sight of the objective: are you trying to win with European Axis or with Japan?

You don’t want the USA to ever build an airbase on Morocco or Algeria.  Tunisia is an easy $1 though.

• TripleA

India stands there. 2 subs doesn’t always convoy the entire income. still get burma and west india for 1 inf. Why would anyone leave their capital?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m