• Don’t think so.  If they are at war in Europe (with Italy or both), they could only collect the NO if there are no AXIS ships in z125, no matter if they are at war with Germany or not.  And they can’t attack East Poland to take it back from Italy if there are German units in East Poland unless they also declare war on Germany.  It would be another matter if it were a naval battle, but its a land battle with a multinational force defending so they can’t just fight the Italians and ignore the German units.  What if they won?  Then there would be a Russian territory with bunch of Germans on it and that just don’t compute.

This I2/G3 gimmick gives a huge advantage for the axis because they can get inside Russian territory, and get the $5, and deny Russia their $5, which is why it is such a popular way to launch Barbarossa

• if there is an axis warship of course they wont collect, but they can ignore the germans easily.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Early on, Italy can spearhead for Germany.  Later, however, I feel the Germans need to take the lead - if only for the cash.  As Russia, I would not liberate any territory (except Stalingrad, Leningrad or Odessa - or Moscow of course, if it can be held) from Italy.  Any IPC Italy gets is one less Germany gets and I like to strangle the Germans. (Remember, Italians can be convoy raided, there just are not a lot of German convoys that can be sapped by submarines.)

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Vance:

Don’t think so.  If they are at war in Europe (with Italy or both), they could only collect the NO if there are no AXIS ships in z125, no matter if they are at war with Germany or not.  And they can’t attack East Poland to take it back from Italy if there are German units in East Poland unless they also declare war on Germany.  It would be another matter if it were a naval battle, but its a land battle with a multinational force defending so they can’t just fight the Italians and ignore the German units.  What if they won?  Then there would be a Russian territory with bunch of Germans on it and that just don’t compute.

This I2/G3 gimmick gives a huge advantage for the axis because they can get inside Russian territory, and get the $5, and deny Russia their $5, which is why it is such a popular way to launch Barbarossa

Yes, Germany gets an extra $5. The Russians can declare war on Germany and clear 125 (if they can). Denying Russia’s $5 does not become easier with this trick as far as I understand it.

• The Soviets cannot clear 125 if Germany uses a sub there; USSR does not start with a destroyer – Germany can just submerge his sub and it’ll still be there when it’s time to check the NO. That’s why people say it’s so easy to deny that NO (coupled with Germany getting to keep theirs for one more turn while still advancing toward Moscow).

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Fortress:

The Soviets cannot clear 125 if Germany uses a sub there; USSR does not start with a destroyer – Germany can just submerge his sub and it’ll still be there when it’s time to check the NO. That’s why people say it’s so easy to deny that NO (coupled with Germany getting to keep theirs for one more turn while still advancing toward Moscow).

Precisely why England should be focused on destroyers, (well, that and the normal pacification of the Atlantic, of course!)

• To come back in topic:

I think there’s no way to save Italy against a competent Allies player. If you find one that works, I’d be really happy to learn from it.

• Have Germany take over London. With no money to spend in the Med, it becomes difficult to knock out Italy.

Solved.

:wink:

• @Fortress:

Have Germany take over London. With no money to spend in the Med, it becomes difficult to knock out Italy.

Solved.

:wink:

In the meantime USA doesn’t do anything.

No, it’s not possible. A competent allied player won’t let you take London. And if you still pursue it, Russia will take care of the rest.

• I jest, of course  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m