Need Help to Finalize HBG Japan Set!

• Coach, in response.

Nagato class was the largest class in tonnage and had the only 16" guns, all others had 14".
    This was my choice for a regular battleship. Fuso, Ise as a early war BB. Since WOTC is doing a Kongo class, I went a different route. Yamato would be larger than the Nagato to represent a heavy Battleship

I support this line up from Coach for IJN Battlewagons.  This would give us all 3 very different Japanese Battleships from HBG if he decides to go that route.  We will have two different other IJN battleships, a Kongo from FMG and a new OOB Kongo.

So this would give the IJN 5 different battlships, 6 if you count the original OOB Yamato.
    Unless I missed something in all the former comments.

Any other IJN Battleships could possibly be included in a possible future straight IJN naval set like we proposed last year for the USN.
    Any Thoughts on this.  WARRIOR888

• DrLarsen:

I assume you modify oob Yamatos into B-64’s by taking an exacto knife to their sides?  How would you do the A-150’s?  Wasn’t the A-140 just an early planned predecessor of the Yamato with all its guns forward?  If you’ve actually done some of those mods, can you show us some pics?  I might experiment with some of the same techniques, since I’ve got so many dozens of them to experiment with… I might also try some similar techniques to make some oob Iowa’s into Alaskas if it works well…

In response to your question I have modified many OOB Battleships across the board.  Now I am recovering from a flood in my basement so it will be awhile before I can them all out and find all my mods and take pictures to show you.  Sometime in July I will get digital photos of my painted mod units and post them here.

Yes to mod Yamatos into B-64s that is how you do it and shorten the sterns and the main Pogoda Superstructure. To make a IJN A-150 you would have to cut two OOB Yamato’s apart and super glue the two forward super structures with the main batteries togaither. Then you have to mod a stern by cutting off a bow on one of them and super gluing a stern on or you get creative with an xacto knife.  To re-inforce your units and give them strength, I use the non embossed side of expired credit cards trimed to the size of each ship.  This keeps your new units firmly assembled and less chance of the glue joints ever breaking apart.
    I have modified OOB Iowas into Alaskas and North Carolina’s, Royal Soverigns into Kongos and into Queen Elizabeths.

WARRIOR888

• @WARRIOR888:

DrLarsen:

I assume you modify oob Yamatos into B-64’s by taking an exacto knife to their sides?  How would you do the A-150’s?  Wasn’t the A-140 just an early planned predecessor of the Yamato with all its guns forward?  If you’ve actually done some of those mods, can you show us some pics?  I might experiment with some of the same techniques, since I’ve got so many dozens of them to experiment with… I might also try some similar techniques to make some oob Iowa’s into Alaskas if it works well…

In response to your question I have modified many OOB Battleships across the board.  Now I am recovering from a flood in my basement so it will be awhile before I can them all out and find all my mods and take pictures to show you.  Sometime in July I will get digital photos of my painted mod units and post them here.

Yes to mod Yamatos into B-64s that is how you do it and shorten the sterns and the main Pogoda Superstructure. To make a IJN A-150 you would have to cut two OOB Yamato’s apart and super glue the two forward super structures with the main batteries togaither. Then you have to mod a stern by cutting off a bow on one of them and super gluing a stern on or you get creative with an xacto knife.  To re-inforce your units and give them strength, I use the non embossed side of expired credit cards trimed to the size of each ship.  This keeps your new units firmly assembled and less chance of the glue joints ever breaking apart.
    I have modified OOB Iowas into Alaskas and North Carolina’s, Royal Soverigns into Kongos and into Queen Elizabeths.

WARRIOR888

Making SBB’s into CB’s with an exacto sounds fairly straightforward (though I’d still love to see a pic whenever it’s convenient for you.)  But the A-150 mod sounds complicated. It sounds like you’re doing some painting then?  Are you detailing or just doing a flat country-specific color?  I’d reather avoid painting things this small in the first place; detailing them sounds like a bridge too far for my lack of ability…

• Shoho class light Carrier is best choice IMO:

Ryujo could also be a good choice:

Oh great my pics no longer show… :?

• @WARRIOR888:

Coach, in response.

Nagato class was the largest class in tonnage and had the only 16" guns, all others had 14".
    This was my choice for a regular battleship. Fuso, Ise as a early war BB. Since WOTC is doing a Kongo class, I went a different route. Yamato would be larger than the Nagato to represent a heavy Battleship

I support this line up from Coach for IJN Battlewagons.  This would give us all 3 very different Japanese Battleships from HBG if he decides to go that route.  We will have two different other IJN battleships, a Kongo from FMG and a new OOB Kongo.

So this would give the IJN 5 different battlships, 6 if you count the original OOB Yamato.
    Unless I missed something in all the former comments.

Any other IJN Battleships could possibly be included in a possible future straight IJN naval set like we proposed last year for the USN.
    Any Thoughts on this.  WARRIOR888

Well, the bad news from DJensen on the other forum seems to indicate that the new WotC Kongo will be about the same size as regular BB’s.  Not that that’s really that innaccurate, but I was kinda hoping for a more obvious “tweener” piece.  The capability difference between Fuso and Nagato isn’t really that big; pretty much the same size (more or less) and you have a 12x14" vs. an 8x16."  Is there an actual difference that you guys are thinking about in game terms between “old” and “new/standard” BB’s or is it really just another aesthetic option?

• @Imperious:

Shoho class light Carrier is best choice IMO:

Ryujo could also be a good choice:

Shoho and Zuiho are the same class, right?  I think I’ve generally heard of it as the Zuiho class, but maybe different sources name the class differently… Of the two (Shoho and Ryujo) I prefer the former, as the latter was a one-off, while the latter was a 2-ship class.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Spoke with Coach for a bit tonight. Looks like we will be doing this set in oob Burnt Orange, Red like the old Pacific game, and Yellow. This way there is flexibility for veteran and Thai units. Does this change anyone’s choices?

• Customizer

@Variable:

Spoke with Coach for a bit tonight. Looks like we will be doing this set in oob Burnt Orange, Red like the old Pacific game, and Yellow. This way there is flexibility for veteran and Thai units. Does this change anyone’s choices?

“Yellow” from neutral set? I hope so. The more crossovers with existing set colors the better IMHO.

• This Yellow:

IL: What Pantone code is that yellow? It looks kinda like the Axis Minor Mustard color on my screen. In my mind I was thinking more like the bright yellow from the Axis Minor set but Coach has not yet specified.

• If it is or is close to that axis minor mustard color, that might be too close to the oob Nationalist Chinese color and the yellow-green HBG “neutrals” color.  We need a color that won’t be confused with potential enemies.  Something more like the neutral yellow.  Combine this with the original oob Pacific red, this would give us 3 distinct Japanese-aligned colors, all clearly distinct from their potential enemies.

• @DrLarsen:

If it is or is close to that axis minor mustard color, that might be too close to the oob Nationalist Chinese color and the yellow-green HBG “neutrals” color.  We need a color that won’t be confused with potential enemies.  Something more like the neutral yellow.  Combine this with the original oob Pacific red, this would give us 3 distinct Japanese-aligned colors, all clearly distinct from their potential enemies.

I agree that we need to avoid confusion with enemy unit colours.  The problem with the yellow colour from the old Classic game is that it resembles too much (especially in some lighting conditions) the shades of tan / beige used for the British (one of Japan’s direct opponents).

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

It will be done in the yellow gold that HBG paints its Veteran pieces.

• Customizer

Forgive my ignorance, is “yellow gold” a different than the “yellow”? I would love it if sometime you made a color chart comparison sheet that list which lists all sets available in certain colors. I have a hard time keeping track of all the color types. Some are quite subtle.

As for me I am far more likely to buy multiple sets if I know a color is available in multiple sets.

Thanks for listening.

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

Forgive my ignorance, is “yellow gold” a different than the “yellow”? I would love it if sometime you made a color chart comparison sheet that list which lists all sets available in certain colors. I have a hard time keeping track of all the color types. Some are quite subtle.

As for me I am far more likely to buy multiple sets if I know a color is available in multiple sets.

Thanks for listening.

I agree. Duplicating colors used already in the Axis Minor and Neutral sets would be ideal.

• I plan to use RED for the Communist RED CHINESE (using the new Soviet/Russian set in Red).

Would it be possible to make a ROSE color set, to match the painted Rose THAI/SIAM pieces?

• I like IL’s idea of the mustard yellow. Almost a yellow brown for Japan.

• Customizer

@GoSanchez6:

I like IL’s idea of the mustard yellow. Almost a yellow brown for Japan.

I agree. I prefer mustard over neutral yellow. Though my primary concern is multi set color crossovers in order to maximize unit varieties for house rules.

Made a bunch of updates to the list and bolding. We are locking things in slowly. Still need some help with the carriers and opinions on all the new tank choices. Tried to take everyone’s thoughts into consideration.

• I’m glad to be part of this community. I was taking a look at some of the new pieces you will be making. I like IL’s idea of remaking the Yamato super battleships and I’m glad to see Japan is getting the navy that they deserve. I think Japan should receive both a light cruiser and a heavy cruiser. Also I like to see the KI-100 included in this set as a true late war fighter. Also a mid to late war A6M Zero should be added to counter the American F4U corsair. Also is it possible to add a heavy tank.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m