Axis & Allies 1941 First Preview

• [quote]I see what you mean. Of course, now Larry Harris had 30 years to figure out how to change that map so we see it pressuring the US to go more Pacific. [/quote]

Funny thing is some guy made a map based on MB with a very similar take on the German-Russian deal. Also, Xeno games “World at War” changed something with regard to the areas between EE and Caucasus.

MB edition offered a KJF as a viable option from what i recall. Usually that meant Japan hits Hawaii and takes it and the US player rolls up on odds and wipes out Japanese navy and out builds her the rest of the way.

• '10

[quote author=Gamerman01 link=topic=27527.msg970102#msg970102 date=1338998719]
    I don’t remember who wrote that they hoped this would lead to playing Global 1940 with their friends.

I totally agree, allweneed, that you should be able to have a great time playing this game in a short amount of time with buddies.  It looks perfect for that.

Just saying that’s a far cry from playing Global 1940 with the same people, if they have a problem with time commitment on less involved games (less than Global) like Revised or AA50
    [/quote]

I wrote it.

I haven’t even asked most of the guys I know to play 1942 because of the playing time. The few that started didn’t play long enough to like it before getting bored with the slow pace of a newbie.

If this game can be played in an hour and a half, they might find they like playing and be willing to give 1942 a try. After getting the hang of A&A mechanics they may like 1942 and be willing to move up again. But none of this happens if if they don’t play 1941 and like it.

Do you suggest I start with HBG’s Global 1939 and work my way down to this instead?

Don’t see what’s wrong with hoping more people play Axis and Allies.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Thank you sir! That info will be in my next post.

@Imperious:

The 16 new sculpts are…

USSR:
    tank

Germany:
    tank
    submarine
    bomber
    fighter

UK:
    Battleship
    fighter
    transport

Japan:
    Battleship
    Carrier
    transport
    destroyer

USA:
    Carrier
    Bomber
    Destroyer
    submarine

ok that is 16.

• @Col.:

Nothing, of course!

You misunderstand me.  I just think that if someone gets bored trying to learn a medium game like 1942, that starting them on a very light game like this new 1941 is highly unlikely to result in that same person ever playing the very demanding Global 1940.

If you can get him to play this new game, I’m happy for you!  Just found it amazing that you think he would someday play global 1940 when he doesn’t have the patience to learn 1942.

• What are the classes of the Destroyers, submarines and transports?

• @Imperious:

Funny thing is some guy made a map based on MB with a very similar take on the German-Russian deal. Also, Xeno games “World at War” changed something with regard to the areas between EE and Caucasus.

MB edition offered a KJF as a viable option from what i recall. Usually that meant Japan hits Hawaii and takes it and the US player rolls up on odds and wipes out Japanese navy and out builds her the rest of the way.

Interesting, do you remember where you saw the first map or its name? I went to check World At War and it is the same division than in Revised/Spring 1942, Romania has been chopped off the Balkans but has no effect on the Eastern front.

On the Pacific, the SZs disposition of Classic was used exactly the same on Revised/Spring 1942, the new 1941 map merged quite a few SZs, which now allow for transports on Solomon to reach all of Asia, reducing intervention time for the US.

I can’t wait for djensen to give us some update on the rules. This game seems interesting to play actually.

• '10

@Gamerman01:

@Col.:

Nothing, of course!

You misunderstand me.  I just think that if someone gets bored trying to learn a medium game like 1942, that starting them on a very light game like this new 1941 is highly unlikely to result in that same person ever playing the very demanding Global 1940.

If you can get him to play this new game, I’m happy for you!  Just found it amazing that you think he would someday play global 1940 when he doesn’t have the patience to learn 1942.

There’s a difference between learning and actually playing. Once you’ve learned how to play you might like the game, thus making it fun to play and not boring. Once you learn the mechanics it all comes done to scale.

Most of the friends that I have played it with have said they see where it could be a great game once you got the rules down, but it was taking over an hour a round to keep going over the rules, movement, combat sequences. Once those are figured out, even on the easiest A&A game, you can move up from there with just a few rules and pieces added each step.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I was hoping that the game would be simplified by combining the collect and spend income phases. I understand that changes a lot about the game but it would have simplified things for new players.

Sometimes I feel like Larry does some of this stuff in a vacuum.

• @djensen:

Sometimes I feel like Larry does some of this stuff in a vacuum.

ABSOLUTELY

Although he did do a few interesting things with the map…

Have you not read the rules yet?  We all really want to know more!

• Founder TripleA Admin

Except the victory conditions, it looks like the rules are the same as 1942. Same with the unit prices. Stupid $6 tanks.

• TripleA

@djensen:

Except the victory conditions, it looks like the rules are the same as 1942. Same with the unit prices. Stupid $6 tanks.

wow that is crazy

so economy and purchasing are very minor in this game. when germany starts with 12ipc the purchases mean very little to the overall outcome of the game.

more importantly all versions up to now it was important to take territory to keep your economy running. now the pieces on the territory are FAR more valuable than the territory itself so attacks and defense will be decided accordingly.

• Interesting, do you remember where you saw the first map or its name? I went to check World At War and it is the same division than in Revised/Spring 1942, Romania has been chopped off the Balkans but has no effect on the Eastern front.

I will try to find it, it’s on my computer somewhere….

• '10

@allweneedislove:

@djensen:

wow that is crazy

so economy and purchasing are very minor in this game. when germany starts with 12ipc the purchases mean very little to the overall outcome of the game.

more importantly all versions up to now it was important to take territory to keep your economy running. now the pieces on the territory are FAR more valuable than the territory itself so attacks and defense will be decided accordingly.

That’s one of the first things I thought about.
    Maybe because the units are so much more valuable that people will be hesitant to attack, which is what pushes the game’s length upwards.

• @djensen:

Armor in Spring 1942 is still $5, so this is quite a major change. What about the setups? About the same?

Actually the setup should reflect a 1941 start so there should be quite some changes there and be more akin to AA50 1941.

• Founder TripleA Admin

No, the setup is quite spartan.

• Wow, that is a lot to think about, right there.  Same unit costs and a meager setup….

2 infantry and 1 tank attacking Berlin’s 2 infantry for the win!!!

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Certainly lends itself to “high luck” situations. One good roll can change the whole game. At least it reduces scripted plays a bit. Never know what’ll happen in a battle since there are only 5 pieces between two sides.

• @djensen:

No, the setup is quite spartan.

And with many territories being worth 0, you really have to think twice before using units.

@Cromwell_Dude:

First, thank you for posting DJensen.

I second that :)

• Is there a reason the US starts at 15 IPC’s on the board but has 17 IPC’s worth of territories?  Or it an error on the board?

• Nah… it’s an April Fool’s joke… :roll:

But seriously, it looks awesome, and I like the map better than the Spring-1942, though some other parts look a bit worse! :D

Thank’s DJenson!

@boboshonda:

Is there a reason the US starts at 15 IPC’s on the board but has 17 IPC’s worth of territories?  Or it an error on the board?

I think it’s just a printing error. Probably they start with 17, or there’s a rule that they lose 2 IPC’s the first few turns till the economy catches up! :D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m