• @Wirre:

OOB-Rules

UK sz110. 1 Destroyer, 2 Submarines

Germany enters sz110 with 1 Tactical and 3 loaded transport.

Can Germany do an amphibious assault?

Is the Seazone hostile until the Destroyer is removed or until all the combatmoves are completely done?

Per Alpha rules:  Germany could NEVER do an amphibious assault in that instance.  They have absolutely no method of removing the submarines from the board, and you WILL have battle as the UK destroyer makes the seazone hostile.  Even if the UK didn’t have the destroyer, the 2 subs alone would have prevented the amphibious assault unless germany brought a surface warship with them.  That tac can only hit the destroyer, and if, in the best circumstances, the destroyer and subs missed and the Tac hit, Germany must retreat or they eventually will lose three transports.

Per OOB rules:  Germany could NEVER do an amphibious assault in that instance.  They have absolutely no method of removing the submarines from the board, and you WILL have battle as the UK destroyer makes the seazone hostile.  Once you’re in combat, the subs have no reason to submerge and combat won’t be resolved until there are no legal targets remaining. Since sub rolls count as hits to transports when there’s no other targets, eventually they’ll kill the transports unless Germany retreats, leaving the Tac alive but alone (if it managed to kill the destroyer without getting shot itself).

AND in OOB I think the UK gets to perform the sub sneak attack rule (not to be confused with the surprise strike rule) against the transports, rolling three dice and hitting on a roll of 2 or better (I’m out of practice with the sneak attack at this point as it’s been sacked as a rule).  So….  SUPER bad idea.

That all said, there may be a fundamental misunderstanding of the rules going on here:

You cannot send a tactical bomber to attack a destroyer and two subs in order to kill the destroyer and then send 3 transports through in the same turn as a combat move.

All combat moves are performed before any dice are rolled.  if you want to perform an amphib assault, that’s a combat move.  So the tactical and three transports need to move into SZ110.  then, during the combat phase, the tactical and 3 transports fight the destroyer and subs.  It’s impossible to clean up the destroyer to make it legal to do the amphibious assault, unless you had some way to also destroy the subs in the same combat (you don’t) and you put the transports in harms way in the process.

• i believe as per OOB rules(this was corrected in the first alpha) that subs get one shot at trns, then they get to unload, this was something that rules-nazis took advantage of, but it is in the “rules” i guess. Btw, this is not an official answer, but i dont ever recommend that as it is cheap, and a dick move.

• @Young:

A&A is a great game, but it’s not near strong enough to get between our friendship.

A&A has the potential of getting between any friendship, played enough times.

• @thatonekid:

i believe as per OOB rules(this was corrected in the first alpha) that subs get one shot at trns, then they get to unload, this was something that rules-nazis took advantage of, but it is in the “rules” i guess. Btw, this is not an official answer, but i dont ever recommend that as it is cheap, and a dick move.

OK, so each sub would get a single roll, hitting on a two or less.  and after surviving, then they could amphib.  But again, that’s only if there was no defending surface warship as well.  because there was a destroyer, not only do the subs get a shot each (sneak attack), the transports are now in a seazone with a destroyer AND subs, and the tactical bomber can only hit the destroyer.  The amphibious assault cannot occur until after combat in the seazone, and the submarines can NEVER be taken as casualties.  since the subs will continue to fire and have no reason to submerge (they cannot be hit, so no matter what, eventually they’ll kill the transports), and because once combat is declared the transports can’t ignore the subs, there’s absolutely NO way that the amphibious assault can continue.

• @kcdzim:

@thatonekid:

i believe as per OOB rules(this was corrected in the first alpha) that subs get one shot at trns, then they get to unload, this was something that rules-nazis took advantage of, but it is in the “rules” i guess. Btw, this is not an official answer, but i dont ever recommend that as it is cheap, and a dick move.

OK, so each sub would get a single roll, hitting on a two or less.  and after surviving, then they could amphib.  But again, that’s only if there was no defending surface warship as well.  because there was a destroyer, not only do the subs get a shot each (sneak attack), the transports are now in a seazone with a destroyer AND subs, and the tactical bomber can only hit the destroyer.  The amphibious assault cannot occur until after combat in the seazone, and the submarines can NEVER be taken as casualties.  since the subs will continue to fire and have no reason to submerge (they cannot be hit, so no matter what, eventually they’ll kill the transports), and because once combat is declared the transports can’t ignore the subs, there’s absolutely NO way that the amphibious assault can continue.

It’s only possible if the defender submerges and the destroyer is removed. Which shouldn’t happen, but can.

• Sponsor

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

A&A is a great game, but it’s not near strong enough to get between our friendship.

Accually, A&A makes our friendship stronger with each game we play.

• @Young:

More power to you

• @Young:

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

The way it should be Grasshopper. I know it brought my son and I closer because of spending time together…the key is remembering it is just a game and not worth ruining life’s relationships.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Ol’:

@Young:

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

The way it should be Grasshopper. I know it brought my son and I closer because of spending time together…the key is remembering it is just a game and not worth ruining life’s relationships.

That’s trickier for kids.  Just started mine on Axis and Allies…(classic/vanilla.)  Got him D-Day for Christmas…should be interesting…Larry recommended it for a starter game, but I have no idea what’s it like.

• @Cmdr:

That’s trickier for kids.  Just started mine on Axis and Allies…(classic/vanilla.)  Got him D-Day for Christmas…should be interesting…Larry recommended it for a starter game, but I have no idea what’s it like.

Have fun playing a new game together!!  Maybe I should consider it (D-Day with the kids) as well!

• D-Day was fun to play for a change of pace, it only takes a fraction of the time to play that Global does. But I think of it more as a kid version of the full thing, would make a brilliant gift. Larry’s 100% right on there.

C

• @Cmdr:

@Ol’:

@Young:

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

He started with Spring 1942 at age 13. It only took him a year or so to win. Now he is a sophomore in college and it is a toss-up between us when we play AA50 on here. Hopefully I get some more G40 experience before we play that version  :-D

• Sponsor

In regards to the latest Russian NO where they receive $3 per axis or neutral territory they control in Europe, I am assuming the Mongolian rule and Japan are unaffected because it is on the Pacific side. Is that correct?

Also, If 10 infantry attack an enemy controlled territory with just 5 AA Guns defending it, are the guns immediately taken off the board without a fight?

@Young:

In regards to the latest Russian NO where they receive $3 per axis or neutral territory they control in Europe, I am assuming the Mongolian rule and Japan are unaffected because it is on the Pacific side. Is that correct?

Correct.  The rule effects Scandinavia, Europe (including England and Ireland), the Med Sea and Turkey.  It does NOT include Africa or S. America.

@Young:

Also, If 10 infantry attack an enemy controlled territory with just 5 AA Guns defending it, are the guns immediately taken off the board without a fight?

Correct.  Just like in Alpha 2 etc, if all a territory has are defending AA Guns then after they have fired at attacking planes, they are automatically removed.  (Theoretically you could attack a stack of AA Guns with a fighter, if the guns miss, then they are all destroyed!)

• Sponsor

So the Russian NO which says “in Europe” actually means the Europe continent and not the Europe board. is that what you are saying? Does the continent of Europe include Persia and Iraq?

If this explanation is true than it is very confusing and difficult to teach new players if “in Europe” has 2 different meanings.

Correct, it means Europe the continent:

Norway, Sweeden, Finland, Turkey, Greece, Yugoslavia, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, Germany, S. Germany, Denmark, W. Germany, N. Italy, S. Italy, Holland, Spain, Switzerland, Portugal, Crete, Sicily, Sardinia and Ireland.

• @Cmdr:

@Young:

Correct.  Just like in Alpha 2 etc, if all a territory has are defending AA Guns then after they have fired at attacking planes, they are automatically removed.  (Theoretically you could attack a stack of AA Guns with a fighter, if the guns miss, then they are all destroyed!)

Attention, the

(Theoretically you could attack a stack of AA Guns with a fighter, if the guns miss, then they are all destroyed!)

is not like Alpha2. In Alpha 2 AA guns can’t be destroyed by planes alone.

• Sponsor

I don’t understand why we need to differentiate between Alpha+2 and Alpha+3 questions and answers, players who are willing to respect the creators rule changes by playing +2, shouldn’t have anything against playing +3. Besides, it’s much easier to move on to +3 because the latest rule post has absorbed the previous +1 and +2, within +3 and the recent +3.5, making it very difficult to play just up to +2. Also, I suggest renaming some of the FAQ threads to specify if your question is regarding +2 or +3 rather than having every post specify the game version you are inquiring about. Or, Larry could finalize the latest changes killing OOB and all the Alphas once and for all.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

Correct, it means Europe the continent:

Norway, Sweeden, Finland, Turkey, Greece, Yugoslavia, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, Germany, S. Germany, Denmark, W. Germany, N. Italy, S. Italy, Holland, Spain, Switzerland, Portugal, Crete, Sicily, Sardinia and Ireland.

I didn’t see Persia or Iraq, do these territories count in regards to the Russian NO in question?

• @Young:

I don’t understand why we need to differentiate between Alpha+2 and Alpha+3 questions and answers, players who are willing to respect the creators rule changes by playing +2, shouldn’t have anything against playing +3. Besides, it’s much easier to move on to +3 because the latest rule post has absorbed the previous +1 and +2, within +3 and the recent +3.5, making it very difficult to play just up to +2. Also, I suggest renaming some of the FAQ threads to specify if your question is regarding +2 or +3 rather than having every post specify the game version you are inquiring about. Or, Larry could finalize the latest changes killing OOB and all the Alphas once and for all.

Good points - totally agree

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m