HEAVY BOMBERS NERFED TO WORTHLESSNESS???

• I don’t know about you guys but these techs suck and are boring. I’m going too use some house rule instead of these.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Krieg,

Was this Heavy Bombers picking the better of the two rolls playtested at all… that you know of? Is it based on any particular reasoning? I don’t see the need/reason for the change…

• Thanks, Krieghund.  I keep forgetting that tacs can scramble, but not intercept (of course, it’s only logical when you think about it)

Nice to know heavies still get best of 2 dice on SBR.  While you’re at it, can you tell us if we have the Global NO’s correct?  (See stickied thread where Mickelson’s making the game play aid)  Does increased production still include repairs at half price?  What about naval bases and air bases?

@gamerman01:

Thanks, Krieghund.  I keep forgetting that tacs can scramble, but not intercept (of course, it’s only logical when you think about it)

Nice to know heavies still get best of 2 dice on SBR.  While you’re at it, can you tell us if we have the Global NO’s correct?  (See stickied thread where Mickelson’s making the game play aid)  Does increased production still include repairs at half price?  What about naval bases and air bases?

Wait, I am confused here… do HBs roll as always… if they get 2 hits they keep two hits… or can they only get a max of 1?

• Official Q&A

@LHoffman:

Was this Heavy Bombers picking the better of the two rolls playtested at all… that you know of? Is it based on any particular reasoning? I don’t see the need/reason for the change…

This adjustment was originally made to the Revised rules in LHTR.  It was later reversed in AA50.  There was such a negative reaction to the reversal that the change was reinstated in the AA50 errata and it was carried forward to AA40.  Obviously, some people disagree.

@gamerman01:

Does increased production still include repairs at half price?  What about naval bases and air bases?

Yes, but for ICs only.

@LHoffman:

Wait, I am confused here… do HBs roll as always… if they get 2 hits they keep two hits… or can they only get a max of 1?

They get a maximum of one hit in combat.

Thanks Krieg.

• So, if I’m rolling for SBR dmg with the Heavy Bombers tech, I roll two dice, get a “1” and a “6”, the factory takes 6 dmg (the highest die), rather than 7 total?  Meh.  Unimpressive (but I guess with the expanded amount of IPCs available on the board it is much easier to build a fleet of SBmrs than before).

I guess the only good thing out of this is that the other techs are definitely worth a lot more than before, as you said.

• @LHoffman:

Krieg,

I’ve been playing this way since AAR, per the LHTR (only difference is in LHTR the SBR were best die + 1).  Even with this nerf, Heavy bombers are still one of the more powerful techs - even if it is not near as powerful as it was originally (which was just rediculous).  Think about it - having an 89% hit rate instead of a 67% hit rate is pretty darn good.  that’s significantly better than making it’s attack value a 5 instead of 4, which itself would still not be bad at all.  It also makes SBRs more more economical/possble, and really requires the defender to keep fighters defending the factories.

• Besides, with more territories it will be tougher for fighters to participate in combat and also land at the factory to defend.

• I think the problem with the way Heavy Bombers were is the fact you could score 2 hits from one attacking unit.  There is nothing else that can roll two dice and get two possible kills, except the AA gun first round shot but lets ignore that for now.

I think that is why Heavy Bombers were so powerful, you could take 4 heavy bombers and possibly kill up to 8 units, and at max you could lose all 4 bombers.  Heavy bombers were deciding factors in huge naval battles between Japan and the U.S. in most of my games with my family members.  Stategic bombing was a big deal because of the possible 12 damage from each bomber, but the limiting factors to how much damage an IC could take, the improved industry tech, and AA gun fire helped even that out.

If this is how the new Heavy bombers will work I will truely miss the old way, but I think I can live with the new rule change for the tech.

• has rockets range incresed to 4 to represent the larger scope of the game board?

• Yeah… I’m just gonna play bombers roll at 5 when attacking.  It’s a pain in the ass to roll 2 dice for each bomber involved in a battle.

• Official Q&A

@oztea:

has rockets range incresed to 4 to represent the larger scope of the game board?

No.  The range of 3 actually fits better with this map scale.

• personally i like the idea that games wont end within 2 turns of someone getting super bombers, cause that is all that happens. turn they get it they buy bombers and thats all they buy from then on, just becomes innevitable at that point unless they were close to collapsing. This is much better.

• '10

Nerfed Bombers and + 1 ( ?) LRA  both really blow.  I guess I’ll be begging for radar when I hit tech and go for tree 2

• @Battling:

Nerfed Bombers and + 1 ( ?) LRA   both really blow.  I guess I’ll be begging for radar when I hit tech and go for tree 2

Improved shipyards and super subs will really rock too (especially for USA and Japan), ASSUMING the same price reductions as AA50.

• I’m sorry but this is the best thing ever to happen to heavy bombers ever.  Heavy bombers ruled all, it really was a game of luck, whoever got heavy bombers first always seemed to win.  We would omit all tech rolls in our games solely because of Heavy Bombers, now I’m thinking of adding them back in.  I have been lobbing for this rule change for decades and I’m glad that others are finally seeing it!  I love the new Heavy Bombers!!!

• @mojo33:

I’m sorry but this is the best thing ever to happen to heavy bombers ever.  Heavy bombers ruled all, it really was a game of luck, whoever got heavy bombers first always seemed to win.  We would omit all tech rolls in our games solely because of Heavy Bombers, now I’m thinking of adding them back in.  I have been lobbing for this rule change for decades and I’m glad that others are finally seeing it!  I love the new Heavy Bombers!!!

Long range heavy bmrs may as well been called A-bomb, because its pretty much game over.

• '12

@WILD:

@mojo33:

I’m sorry but this is the best thing ever to happen to heavy bombers ever.  Heavy bombers ruled all, it really was a game of luck, whoever got heavy bombers first always seemed to win.  We would omit all tech rolls in our games solely because of Heavy Bombers, now I’m thinking of adding them back in.  I have been lobbing for this rule change for decades and I’m glad that others are finally seeing it!  I love the new Heavy Bombers!!!

Long range heavy bmrs may as well been called A-bomb, because its pretty much game over.

Especially in AAR where the USA could have ones that were immune to AA fire.

• this is my point, get hvy bmrs and you win within a few turns, or lose if the other guy got it. this now means navies wont dissappear in moments.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m