TripleA: Where to dl, How to Download Maps, Pictures of games TripleA supports

• Customizer

Click to Download the Latest Version of TripleA
    (pictures are in next post, keep scrolling down to see them)

TripleA comes with, by default, just 4 maps:
    Big World            (ww2 map)
    Great War           (ww1 map)
    Capture the Flag   (free for all map)
    Minimap              (a really small tutorial map)

How to download more maps:
    **All you have to do is start up TripleA 1.2.X.X (Yes that means run the .exe or .sh) and click on the “Download Maps” button. A dialog box will open where you can add links to “Map Repositories” (sites that host maps.)  **
    Here’s is the best one to add:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/tripleamaps/triplea_maps.xml

And here are a couple backup ones:
    http://sites.google.com/site/tripleawarclub/tripleawarmaps.xml
    http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/home/mods/TripleA_Quality_Mods_EB_old.xml

Just take the second link (the long http one that ends in .xml), and copy it.  Then open up TripleA, click on Download maps, then PASTE it into the blank box there, then click “list games”.   (clicking the links to the .xml below will do nothing for you).  Here is a Slideshow showing how to do it.

Here are two of the places where you can get popular maps for TripleA (version 1.2 and later):

TripleA Maps sourceforge page, contains all maps and resources you might need.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/
    Maps:
    all known maps that work with TripleA 1.2.5.4
    #New World Order# 1.8.5EB/sieg
    Pact of Steel
    Napoleonic Empires
    Middle Earth 12 player (lord of the rings)
    270BC
    World War II Classic
    World War II Revised
    World War II v3  (2 diff startups)(also known as aa50)
    World War II v4  (includes a free for all version)(also known as spring 1942)
    Europe
    Twilight Imperium
    Red Sun Over China
    The Rising Sun
    Fortress America
    Battle of Aventurica
    Greyhawk
    Small Balanced (2 player, 4 player, and FFA variations)
    Small’s 1939
    Big World Variations
    NWO_Variations
    Pact of Steel Variations
    WW2V2 Revised Variations
    Tactics Campaign
    Domination
    Ultimate World
    Peninsula Campaign
    Atari
    TripleA Map Creator
    a ton of other maps, over 70 downloads (about 100-150 games) total

TripleA Supply Depot contains many tutorials and help guides for TripleA
    TripleA Supply Depot:       <– has tutorials and slideshows for beginners
    http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/home/mods/TripleA_Quality_Mods_EB.xml
    http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/home/mods/TripleA_Quality_Mods_EB_old.xml
    Maps:
    a backup of all maps on June 12th, 2010.

TripleA War Club website contains a Ladder and Tournament for playing games:
    The War Club:
    http://sites.google.com/site/tripleawarclub/tripleawarmaps.xml
    Maps:
    World War II Classic
    World War II Revised
    World War II v3
    World War II v4

If you need to install the maps Manually, they are located at (on a PC):
    (Windows) C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\triplea\maps
    (Mac) /home/user/documents/triplea/maps
    (Linux) /home/user/triplea/maps
    Simply download the zip and move it to that folder.  No need to unzip if the zip file is properly set up.

For instructions on setting up your own map repository see This Link.

For a map making utility, created by Wisconsin, visit the forum announcements section.
    For instructions on how to make your own map, visit the forum, and also note instructions on how to do a correct list of Properties, and issues with the polygon grabber, how to change unit’s colors, and so on can be answered by searching the forum or posting there.
    TripleA is Open Source software, and here are instructions on how to use the source code.

If you encounter bugs in the TripleA program, like a Java error, Please copy the java error and post the error on the Bug Tracker, along with some information about when and how this bug occurred.  Also mention what version of TripleA you are using, and attach a save game if possible.  It also helps if you sign up for a sourceforge account when posting the bug.  That way you get notifications of when the bug is closed, and the developers can contact you if we need more information about the bug.

If the lobby is down, Please visit THIS LINK and make a post with the date, time, and time zone.

I would also like to provide links to a browser accessible Battle Calculator, as well as an LL Calculator, and if you are in need of strategy please check out the Forums of AxisandAllies.org.  TripleA also has a wiki site, and if you feel like contributing to it please do.  Again, the TripleA Supply Depot has many tutorials and slideshows you should check out if you need more help.

RULES:
    If you are new to War Games, I highly suggest you go and read a Rules Book for a certain popular war game that happens to be very generic in manner.  Slightly more advanced rules may be more complex, but are more rewarding too (though they may require some help).
    Again, click this link if you want to learn how to play Most Games: WW2v2 Rules
    And this link if you want to learn the more Advanced Games: WW2v3 Rules   (and this link for some rules errata on the advanced game: WW2v3 Errata)

Strategy Guides:
    Here is a relatively simple Strategy Guide that was made by Pulicat, only 17 pages and definitely worth reading.

If you have a map or a link you would like me to include, pm me or post below and i’ll add it to the list.  These lists are edited, so check back often.
    If you are new, and found something difficult or hard to learn, that was not covered in this post or in links provided by this post, please mention it and i will add it.
    Thx
    Veqryn

How to host a game:

1. you need to make sure your firewall allows ALL activity of the triplea.exe (this usually involves opening up your firewall, finding the permissions or applications page, and then adding “all” permissions or activity to the triplea.exe)

2. you need to send port 3300 to your local IP address (port forwarding)

3. you need to make sure your ports are open (access restrictions)

If you need additional help with anything, or specifically port forwarding, click on one of these two links:
    http://n2.nabble.com/Download-Maps-Links-Hosting-Games-General-Information-tp4074312p4074312.html
    and: http://bit.ly/aTuuyA

• Customizer

and here are some pics:
    most of these pictures have been reduced in size to be a quarter to a fifth of their original size.

WW2v4 (spring 1942)

WW2v3 (AA50: 1941)

WW2v2 (revised)

WW2v1 (classic)

Europe (original)

New World Order

New World Order, showing combat, dice, and selecting casualty

Big World

Great War

Napoleonic Empires

270BC

Blood and Iron

Domination (this map is ridiculously huge)

Middle Earth

Tactics Campaign

The Rising Sun

Minimap, showing production screen

Twilight Imperium, (just a cropped picture of it, full map is much bigger)

Fortress America

Battle of Aventurica

Red Sun Over China, (just a cropped picture of it, full map is much bigger)

so, ya, you should check it out

we have a stable version (meaning basically bug free), 1.2.5.4 (april 2010)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/files/

and a how to forum:
    http://bit.ly/aTuuyA

• Customizer

thx for the sticky whoever did that :)

• no problem.

• Huh, so now it breaks no copyrights?
    Lol, anyone can see through it though.
    Is there a way to override the system in tripleA (to allow for house rules)?

• Customizer

there are some house rules that are coded for, and they are available in the “options” menu before the game starts

and for everything else there is “edit mode” which allows you to do a ton of stuff
    you can switch tabs in edit mode to move units, etc, not just the usual things (most people don’t know you can switch tabs in edit mode for different effects, i only found that out recently)

well, besides no longer referencing hasbro material, the game engine no longer ships with any maps that contain possible copyrighted material.
    also, it is much more of a general war game engine than previous releases, which can be attested to in the wide variety of maps and rules that we have

i mean…. try downloading ‘zombieland’ and you will see that this is not just axis and allies anymore

• Is there any AARe map for it. That’s the only Revised I ever play, and I would hate to be using edit mode every turn for it.

• Customizer

@Wilson2:

Is there any AARe map for it. That’s the only Revised I ever play, and I would hate to be using edit mode every turn for it.

There is an enhanced Revised, but I think it is different than the one you are referring to.  Give me a link to the rules or description of the one you are referring to, and maybe i can mod it for you.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

WWII Version 4, is the same map as Version 2.

which one is the map for spring 1942?

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

WWII Version 4, is the same map as Version 2.

which one is the map for spring 1942?

in triplea
    Spring 1942 is “World War II v4”

in case you are curious on the history of Spring 1942, it uses the exact same map as “Revised” does, but uses the rules from “AA50”
    (there are a couple of changes, such as a UK bb that got turned into a cruiser, a couple destroyers that became cruisers, and slightly different borders in north america)

revised is ww2v2
    aa50 is ww2v3
    spring1942 is ww2v4

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Umm….

Hate to say it,

But the maps, optically are significantly different, like if you look at them side by side.

Revised vs 1942.

Unless you mean to tell me, different look aside that, that the territories and sea zones all line up, and match in perfect accordance, for purposes of unit movement, even though they may be of a different draw?

If you dont agree, go look on IL’s tag and dload his maps.  Or check out pics of the eastern front for example on www.boardgamegeek.com

Or am I missing something here?

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

Umm….

Hate to say it,

But the maps, optically are significantly different, like if you look at them side by side.

Revised vs 1942.

Unless you mean to tell me, different look aside that, that the territories and sea zones all line up, and match in perfect accordance, for purposes of unit movement, even though they may be of a different draw?

If you dont agree, go look on IL’s tag and dload his maps.  Or check out pics of the eastern front for example on www.boardgamegeek.com

Or am I missing something here?

while larry did change the shape of africa, etc, the look of africa does not change any actual territory connections, etc.
    have a look at revised and 1942 side by side, you will see they are the exact same map with the only exceptions being iceland and formosa are added, slight change in connections in north america

• Customizer

I started a sourceforge project to host all the known maps.

And I made this kind of cool website for it,

check it out:
    http://tripleamaps.sourceforge.net/

(my website making skills are limited, but i think it looks pretty badass!)

• Any chance seeing AAG40 on TripleA? I would even pay money for that ;)

• @ikaros:

Any chance seeing AAG40 on TripleA? I would even pay money for that ;)

If you pay Comradekev (TripleA developer) he will probably do the necessary coding within 2-3 weeks.

Or you can try to get a cheaper coder in India to do the job  :-)

• @Subotai:

If you pay Comradekev (TripleA developer) he will probably do the necessary coding within 2-3 weeks.

:-D

@Subotai:

Or you can try to get a cheaper coder in India to do the job

:cry:

• I’m probably not going to pay as much as Comradekev expects, so I’ll let him do it for free, if he wants to that is ;)

• Has anyone played the latest downloadable scenario about the Eastern Front? It’s where you play as Army Groups North/Centre/South, plus ALL the minor Axis powers versus the giant Russian bear. The Russians are played by a very competent AI which is beating me. Anybody have any tips on how to play this game correctly/what to buy/best strat that kind of thing?

• Several Triple A questions:

• Which version is Spring 1942?  OP says WWIIv2 Revised = Spring 1942, somebody else says WWIIv4

• Using WWIIv4, I can’t seem to use transports.  When clicking inf/art/tanks it says “land units cannot both load and unload on the same turn” what gives?

• I can’t figure out how to perform bombardments on ICs

Thanks guys!  Trying to get up and running here on a Mac.  Are there any other maps that host macs?

• '16 '15 '10

@murdoc:

Several Triple A questions:

• Which version is Spring 1942?  OP says WWIIv2 Revised = Spring 1942, somebody else says WWIIv4

Spring 42=v4
    Revised=v2

Using WWIIv4, I can’t seem to use transports.  When clicking inf/art/tanks it says “land units cannot both load and unload on the same turn” what gives?

You load and unload by right clicking the unit and loading it onto the transport.  As far as not being able to load and unload, what you can do with the transports is limited by what’s allowed by the game rules.  The game engine enforces the rules, so you can only perform moves that would be legal.

• I can’t figure out how to perform bombardments on ICs

Bombardments are for land units, not ICs, so nothing wrong with that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m