Solved: How to use TripleA as a Portable App

• '12

@P@nther:

TripleA will now start. Download the maps you want using the “Download Maps” feature and start playing. You will find the downloaded maps as well as the automatic savegames on your USB-Stick in the following directory: Stick/PortableApps/JavaPortableLauncher/Data/AppData/triplea/
    and NOT in any user/home directory on your system. So you can have your games on any windows machine without leaving data on the system itself.

I got this far in the process before running into trouble.  After I put in the SourceForge link to find the maps and hit list games, nothing further happens.  I also can’t close out the dialogue box with the cancel button or the X button.  I have to use Task Manager to close TripleA if I want to try again.

EDIT: I should note that if I skip trying to download a new map, I can launch and play a game successfully.

• @Eggman:

@P@nther:

TripleA will now start. Download the maps you want using the “Download Maps” feature and start playing. You will find the downloaded maps as well as the automatic savegames on your USB-Stick in the following directory: Stick/PortableApps/JavaPortableLauncher/Data/AppData/triplea/
    and NOT in any user/home directory on your system. So you can have your games on any windows machine without leaving data on the system itself.

I got this far in the process before running into trouble.  After I put in the SourceForge link to find the maps and hit list games, nothing further happens.  I also can’t close out the dialogue box with the cancel button or the X button.  I have to use Task Manager to close TripleA if I want to try again.

EDIT: I should note that if I skip trying to download a new map, I can launch and play a game successfully.

Hm, I just tested it again using my USB-stick - no problems.

Do you have a firewall/filter-rule that prevents javaw.exe from accessing the internet from your source?

Just to be sure about the download-link:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/tripleamaps/triplea_maps.xml

• '12

@P@nther:

Do you have a firewall/filter-rule that prevents javaw.exe from accessing the internet from your source?

Just to be sure about the download-link:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/tripleamaps/triplea_maps.xml

I’m at a location where I can’t say what is happening exactly vis-a-vis filtering, but, I have been able to download maps via the TripleA install that is directly on the machine.

I had thought I could then just copy the map from PC to USB stick, but I can’t find it!  Inside the maps folder that is in the same Windows user data area to which TripleA saves its data by default, there is a 1Kb World War II Global.zip.properties file, but there is no matching World War II Global.zip or World War II Global.xml file in that maps folder or the maps folder in the directory where I installed TripleA right on the PC.

• '12

I just downloaded a map directly so I’d know where the files were… I can get it recognized, when I try to start a game on that map Java crashes with a too many files found error.

• When installing a map directly from a “computer based” TripleA/Java the downloaded maps as well as the savegames are stored in a folder c:\Users"User"\triplea\…

You can easily verify this and/or access this directory using the TripleA “Open User Maps and Savegames Folder” button that is accessible via the “Engine Preferences” button in the starting dialogue.

From the stick installation - as mentioned above - you will find the downloads and savegames here:
    Stick/PortableApps/JavaPortableLauncher/Data/AppData/triplea/

You can easily verify this and/or access this directory using the TripleA “Open User Maps and Savegames Folder” button that is accessible via the “Engine Preferences” button in the starting dialogue, too.

Your problems sound like download errors. I would recommend to delete the maybe corrupt data from the above mentioned folders and try again.

You can of course download the map.zip directly from sourceforge and place them in any of the maps-folder:
    As well in  Stick/PortableApps/JavaPortableLauncher/Data/AppData/triplea/maps/
    or in        Stick/PortableApps/triplea_1_6_1_4/maps/

Sidenote: The *.properties file is used to compare the map version installed with the map version provided via the triplea_maps.xml when using the built-in map downloader.

• Customizer

@Eggman:

I just downloaded a map directly so I’d know where the files were… I can get it recognized, when I try to start a game on that map Java crashes with a too many files found error.

triplea hasn’t cared about “too many files found” since triplea 1.6.    it was fixed with 1.6.1 I believe.

what version are you using, and what is the exact full error message? (copy and paste the whole message here, thank you)

• '12

@Veqryn:

triplea hasn’t cared about “too many files found” since triplea 1.6.    it was fixed with 1.6.1 I believe.

what version are you using, and what is the exact full error message? (copy and paste the whole message here, thank you)

On a different machine I was able to have TripleA download and run the map successfully, so I don’t get the error anymore.  My version is the latest, 1.6.1.4.  I can try to fiddle with the install again to re-create the error if it’s important, but I’m just happy to have it working.

• @Eggman:

On a different machine I was able to have TripleA download and run the map successfully, so I don’t get the error anymore.  …

Good to hear!

• For 64bit Windows Systems the 64bit JavaPortable and Java Portable Launcher can be installed, too.
    Downloads:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29595.msg1059900#msg1059900

• First posting updated to the new stable version of TripleA (1.7.0.3).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m