• Wizards controls the release of information on new games.

which means we will get nothing but the same exact picture that any site selling the game will receive and no articles as usual.

• you’d think they’d be intelligent enough to realise that if they released a little info, maybe a picture or two (apart from the box cover) then they’d drum up a little excitement and interest in the thing. right now it’s just us gossiping like old women  :x

• I emailed WOTC about the new release, and just asked about when we might expect an announcement about the game, not the info itself:

Thank you for writing. Unfortunately there have been no announcements. For any future releases, keep checking the Avalon Hill page at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/welcome.
    Take Care and Good Gaming!

Disappointing, though not an unexpected response.  the tech who responded probably went out and googled it after to find out about it himself.

• You should email him back:

Why is it every time WOTC/ AH releases anything having to do with Axis and Allies boardgames, everybody has to find out about the game thru Funagain games and other retailers long before anybody EVER hears about these games from AH.

The difference is striking when the minute a product involving Axis and Allies Miniatures is even “thought of” they post a picture of every piece and every angle nearly a year before it comes out. This would be the same with all the upcoming fantasy related games.

When AA50 came out you didn’t even lift a finger to describe it are do anything except post a link for errata rules.

Do you really think anybody can take you seriously when you come up with that standard reply: “keep looking at the site for updates” Was that some sort of joke?

Its totally evident why nobody posts on your Avalon Hill site since it offers nothing except information that was already posted on other sites first.

see how they react to that.

• IL,

I replied and included your questions along with mine about their inability to support their releases.  I will relay their answers, or lack their of.

• New info released:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/spring1942

Axis & Allies 1942, designed and developed by Larry Harris, will utilize the updated rules established in A&A Anniversary Edition. Cruiser class ships will make their debut in A&A 1942, forever changing the naval line-up. Newly sculpted playing pieces and all new packaging will position this game as the cornerstone of the Axis & Allies game line for years to come.

* Rulebook updated by Larry Harris, creator of the Axis & Allies game system
        * Packaging, play components, and game board map feature updated art
        * 370 game pieces featuring refreshed sculpts plus new models for cruisers
        * Updated naval unit rules as debuted in Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

–-------------------------------------------------

This means that the AA42 map will be the same as today, except different colors and drawing? Not new territories?
    Rules will be the same as AA50, with exception of the NOs? And same or old tech rules?

Unit costs, SBR, naval rules are sure enough, but how about NOs in AA42? Imo it could be interesting if it’s implemented. And this means that tech is optional in AA42.
    Also, the 2 new optional rules which was added after AA50 was released will probably be optional rules in AA42.
    I think Revised (AA42) can be fun even if AA50 is still teh real deal.

• On a related note. Now that I received my AA50… IT is my friend’s birthday soon and I wanted to buy him an AA game. Problem is the following :
    I already bought a Revised edition for another friend.
    Some weeks after, I bought the Anniversary edition (at the time I bought the revised, I wasn’t aware of AA50. I feel kind of cheap because I bought him a version of the game that he will not likely play :S)

Any other good AA to buy? Europe, DDay, Pacific…

maybe I should just look for books :P

Robert

• @Subotai:

New info released:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/spring1942

Axis & Allies 1942, designed and developed by Larry Harris, will utilize the updated rules established in A&A Anniversary Edition. Cruiser class ships will make their debut in A&A 1942, forever changing the naval line-up. Newly sculpted playing pieces and all new packaging will position this game as the cornerstone of the Axis & Allies game line for years to come.

* Rulebook updated by Larry Harris, creator of the Axis & Allies game system
        * Packaging, play components, and game board map feature updated art
        * 370 game pieces featuring refreshed sculpts plus new models for cruisers
        * Updated naval unit rules as debuted in Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

–-------------------------------------------------

This means that the AA42 map will be the same as today, except different colors and drawing? Not new territories?
    Rules will be the same as AA50, with exception of the NOs? And same or old tech rules?

Unit costs, SBR, naval rules are sure enough, but how about NOs in AA42? Imo it could be interesting if it’s implemented. And this means that tech is optional in AA42.
    Also, the 2 new optional rules which was added after AA50 was released will probably be optional rules in AA42.
    I think Revised (AA42) can be fun even if AA50 is still teh real deal.

WOW they actually released some info.  Looks like they will be suckering my money away  :-(

• Well thats something… You are a hero of sorts to have gotten them to move off their butts like you did.

+Karma

• Well, the “in a few short hours” looks like a signal for a simpler game than AA50. So I don’t expect China, Italy, optional rules, NOs or a 12 tech tree, rather an upgraded Revised with the much-improved rules of AA50, cruisers, a balanced set-up and a 6-tech tree, maybe even without “researchers”. So they think of AA50 as the serious wargame and AA42 as “gamers light”, that explains the release. I do hope they will be rereleasing AA50 later though!

• If the units/sculpts end up being nicer than AA:50’s.  I’m going to be very upset.    :x :cry:

• '10

Why does anyone care about this game if you already have AA50 ? How many people played classic after revised came out? I’m not sure I understand what all the fuss is about.

• @Battlingmaxo:

Why does anyone care about this game if you already have AA50 ? How many people played classic after revised came out? I’m not sure I understand what all the fuss is about.

Well for me, the only thing I was very disappointed with in AA:50 were the unit sculpts.

I felt that for a 100 dollar deluxe edition of A&A the unit sculpts should have been nicer.

So the main fuss for me would be if this game has nicer units.

• i’m rather amazed myself and pleased that they gave us something at least.

on the other hand, they still haven’t directly responded to my (our) reply…

• @Battlingmaxo:

I still play Classic, all the games play out quite differently.  Go to the classic forum, you’ll see the interest is still there by some.

• I didn’t get into AA until Revised was out, eventually I’d like to see what Classic was like.  Only heard stories from a friend about what it was like.

• old man sitting around the fire - “once upon a time axis and allies original was played, and there was no revised rules for transports and submarines, and russia used to stand a chance”

:-D

• '10

for the price of 35.00 I doubt that the units/sculpts will be any different. I have everything but revised and D day and don’t see any significant differences in quality in the units from those games.

• I doubt that the units/sculpts will be any different

Its been confirmed that they are new, but yes they may be the same unit used ( e.g. Americans have a new version of the Sherman as the replacement tank… it will have more detail and look better)  Of course the artillery will all be different and pieces include new infantry sculpts as well.

• So the new sculpts are the only reason that makes the 1942 Edition worth buying for someone who already owns AA50?

I’m asking because AA50 is my first and one and only AA-game I ever owned and played.
    Considering the fact that there is a 1942 scenario, Italy as 6th playable nation, improved rules, new units etc. in AA50, what could make the 1942 Edition interesting for me (as AA Newbie)… ?

Or is the 1942 Edition interesting for “revised-enthusiasts” only who can’t wait for an improved update?

What do you think?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m