"Unprovoked"/"provoked" declaration of war

• Hello,

I don’t understand the difference between “Unprovoked” and “provoked” declaration of war.

Who can help me please ?

• @Vidocq62

From the Rulebook, Pacific 1940.2, page 11:

Declarations of war are either “provoked” or
    “unprovoked.” A declaration of war is considered to
    be provoked either when the declaration is made in
    reaction to the direct aggression of another power
    or when a political rule allows the power to declare
    war due to a specific action being taken by another
    power. For example, if the United Kingdom declares
    war on Japan, a subsequent declaration of war by
    Japan on the United Kingdom (which is technically
    unnecessary, as the two powers are already at war)
    would be considered provoked.

So this is for “provoked”.
    An unprovoked declaration of war (DOW) is a DOW based solely on your own decision - without prior incident caused by another power. For example when on G1 Germany decides to DOW on Russia.

HTH :smiley:

• Thanks for the answer.

Can you explain to me : " The United States may not declare war…or Japan make an unprovoked declaration of war against the UK or ANZAC" ?

• @Vidocq62
    This is referring to page 37 of the Pacific 1940.2 rulebook:

The United States may not declare war on any Axis power unless an Axis power either declares war
    on it first or captures London or any territory in North America, or Japan makes an unprovoked declaration of war against the UK or ANZAC, after which it may declare war on any or all Axis powers on its following turn.

USA starts the game being neutral and is limited in its actions. In general USA may not declare war until the beginning of the Collect Income Phase of its third turn.
    But when special preconditions apply, USA may declare war before that. The above quoted sentence states conditions under which USA may declare war, then.

So for example if the Japanese player decides to attack UK or ANZAC (unprovoked=without prior war triggering action of those powers) then USA will be allowed to DOW.

Or the other way: If UK/ANZAC attacked Japan before, Japan would be at war with them being provoked - in that case USA would not be allowed to DOW on Japan (until the collect income phase of its third turn).

• Thank you !

• In case UK / Anzac take over money islands without declaring war to Japan, Japan still can declare war against them because of this ‘provocation’, right? And Japans relation to USA is not effected.

• @Hecatomb Hi

If Japan DOWs on any of the Western Allies, it’s game on with USA. At least I’m pretty sure it is : )

Taking control of the Dutch islands in ncm won’t effect that, but I’ve been wrong before. I’m sure @Panther will clarify. : )

• @Hecatomb said in "Unprovoked"/"provoked" declaration of war:

In case UK / Anzac take over money islands without declaring war to Japan, Japan still can declare war against them because of this ‘provocation’, right? And Japans relation to USA is not effected.

In case UK/ANZAC "take control of Dutch territories (gaining their IPC income) by moving land units into them as a noncombat movement, as long as they have not yet been captured by an Axis power " (Rulebook Pacific 1940.2, page 38,39), this does not affect the political relations to Japan in any way.

However Japan may declare war on them - simply because they are allowed to do it:
    “Japan may declare war on the United Kingdom, ANZAC, the United States, France, or the Soviet Union at the beginning of the Combat Move phase of any of its turns.” (Rulebook Pacific 1940.2, page 37).

Happy New Year :smiley:

• @barnee said in "Unprovoked"/"provoked" declaration of war:

If Japan DOWs on any of the Western Allies, it’s game on with USA. At least I’m pretty sure it is : )

It depends on the circumstances - see Rulebook Pacific 1940.2. page 37:

The United States may not declare war on any Axis power unless an Axis power either declares war
    on it first or captures London or any territory in North America, or Japan makes an unprovoked declaration of war against the UK or ANZAC, after which it may declare war on any or all Axis powers on its following turn.

Happy New Year :smiley:

• Thanks, Panther.

To be honest, I thought that if UK / Anzac take over Dutch islands and gain IPC there, Japan can declare war at UK / Anzac because of this’provocation’ and USA isn’t effected. I thought it’s a ‘provocation’ because UK / Anzac expand their sphere of influence.

So there’s at least no game-effecting difference between provoked declaration of war and an unprovoked one?

By the way: Happy New Year, too. 😋

• @Hecatomb said in "Unprovoked"/"provoked" declaration of war:

So there’s at least no game-effecting difference between provoked declaration of war and an unprovoked one?

Actually there is. See my last posting and the quote from the rulebook above.

So for example:
    Scenario one:

• UK DOWs Japan. Japan DOWs back (provoked). USA may not DOW on Japan.
      but

Scenario two:

• Japan DOWs UK (unprovoked). USA may DOW on Japan on its following turn.

• I got it - thanks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m