[House Rules] Japan round 1 buyings

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I’m not saying BM isn’t played by a lot of folks. It is, but it is not (as you previously asserted) played by everyone.

Just because I shave my head doesn’t mean everyone else does.

Just because you wear socks to work doesn’t mean that I wear socks to work.

Just because you play BM doesn’t mean everyone else does. However, BM is NOT A&A. By rules for these forums, that makes it house rules.

Lots of folks play Monopoly too – should we start discussing optimal strats for that game in these forums?

• since 50 % of people play it, it is definitely more than a house rule. it is equal (in popularity) to 2nd edition definitely.

it is an upgrade of A&A Global, Monopoly is not a good comparison to BM.

and as for this article, the only changes from 2nd edition are the marines, so for those playing 2nd edition, just ignore those buys which count marines in.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Excellent. let me add some first round options for Global War 1939 then!

• @Amon-Sul
    @Marshmallow of War

I just stumbled by accident over your (offtopic) discussion here and feel it is time to add some (offtopic) thoughts here.

The reason why this thread is kept in this (Global 1940) subforum is, that the initial posting has aspects related to OOB as well as to BM. Also the title did not imply a Balanced Mod discussion. If it had, it would have been moved to “House Rules” immediately. As this thread turned into a BM discussion, this thread had to be tagged with [House Rules] according to how we deal with House Rules.

However, the “Balanced Mod” is what the name says: a modification. That means it is somewhere between “House Rules” and “Other Variants”. I would not mind if the Balanced Mod was discussed in either the “House Rules” or the “Other Axis & Allies Variants” forum.

Now there is one problem with Balanced Mod: It has been created in the “League” subforum of the “Play Boardgames” section of the forum. That means the Balanced Mod is more or less familiar to the League players and maybe some other people that were brought to BM by them. Outside of this part of our community and outside of our forum other players likely have no idea that BM even exists, what the BM actually is, or where to find it on this forum.

Summary: The Balanced Mod rules and any discussions about it are wrong in the “Global 1940” forum as well as I feel they are wrong in the “League” forum. They do belong to either “House Rules” or “Other Axis & Allies Variants”, IMHO.

I understand that BM has been developped from within the league… but it should have been brought to everyone’s attention to an appropriate forum at any time. It looks like it is time to move BM related content to a correct subforum and discuss it there, IMHO.

• '19 '17 '16

Bids are house rules. Many other variants are house rules. I don’t see the problem with including such discussions in this part of the forum.

• '17

@Amon-Sul:

@Marshmallow:

Exactly so.

It’s house rules.

what about 2nd edition? it is also an upgrade of it`s own.

yes, BM adds some more stuff, but i would say a lot more than just a house rule, since half the people play it.

If you discount the players in league (2016) standings who only played like 3-5 games, than there were about 50 players. However, there are probably around 1000 players throughout the world who play Global 40 2nd ed. (I can’t find the metric for 2017 league standings). In the Global 40 forum section, there are hundreds of threads and posts by people who haven’t played BM3 yet.

Not everyone who even comes to the site plays triplea live, let alone pbem, let alone league. Also, when league players call an Axis and Allies game that is respected and religiously played by serious regulars “vanilla,” it might come across as snobbish. Even if not intended to.

I’m trying to learn BM3. To me it’s a different game. And my jury is still out on whether or not I will like it. Played 150+ games of G40 2. A difference I’ve noticed for instance is I don’t see the majority of players do Tobruk or Taranto compared to Global 40. In G40 2, protecting Cairo is decisive. BM3 permits the UK more options. And even in this thread, right away buying a marine changes the game drastically. Now a cruiser has become a transport. Also, how many people do a J1 DOW in BM3 compared to Global 40? Not many.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m