The Italian navy in the Med under the new Alpha Plus.1 rules

• Somewhere I read with the new Alpha Plus.1 setup the Italians now have a fighting chance in the Mediterranean Sea.  I’m not seeing it!  Before with the OOB I could advance with Italy and put up a good fight.

Now the UK on its first turn can decimate them before they get started.  The UK can move the carrier with the fighter & tech bomber and the battleship from sea zone 98, the cruiser from sea zone 91 (providing the Germans haven’t taken it), the fighters from Gibraltar & Alexandra and if still needed the two fighters from the UK, (they would land on the AC whereas the AC’s planes would land in Malta with the other two from Gibraltar and Alexandra).

All these UK units can go to either sea zone 95 to wipe out the Italian’s cruiser, two destroyers, sub, and two transports or they can go to sea zone 97 (minus the cruiser from sea zone 91) to wipe out the Italian’s battleship, AC with both air units and transport, (and with a little luck on UK’s side they may be able to take on both sea zones at once).

And lastly, they could all just go to sea zone 96 with the protection of the airbase for scrambling and wait to destroy the Italians later.

Either way after UK’s first turn, I don’t see were Italy now has a fighting chance in the Med.  I’m I missing something?  I’m I looking too one-sided at this?

• I forgot to attach my example.

UK vs Italy in Med.JPG

• Nice graphics!

Germany can threaten Sealion in order to force the UK to keep its 2 ftrs in London and its planes can counterattack the remnants of the Royal Navy.

• Indeed, threat of Sealion was my first reaction also.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Nice graphics!

Germany can threaten Sealion in order to force the UK to keep its 2 ftrs in London and its planes can counterattack the remnants of the Royal Navy.

also, under Alpha +.1, there’s less incentive for the UK would put all planes on Malta (restricted to 3 for a scramble) so it seems unlikely they’d ever ALL go to 96.  I imagine the UK would always leave one behind.

And the OP may also be overlooking the fact that Italy can scramble at least one fighter for defense from southern Italy (as well as German planes, should they be at the Italian Airbase).

• Fighters from UK can not reach the Malta SZ unless you have long range aircraft

The cruiser outside of gibraltar is usually killed by a german submarine

Italy can bypass this superfleet and take Egypt with 3 transport loads

Though I am concerned with the ability for the UK to go on a rampage on UK1, and neuter Italy….dont expect to see a mediteranian sea monster like this on UK1

• a fighter doesnt start in alexandria

• Yes I made a mistake in my set up with a fighter in Alexandra.  My bad….

However, the fighters could fly from UK if wanted, they would land on the AC, the air units form the AC would land in Malta.

So even with the mistake I made in Alexandra, and leaving the two fighters in the UK and then considering that Germany will wipe out the cruiser in sea zone 91 ya’ll (southerner) don’t think UK can do some worse damage in Alpha Plus.1 than oob with the remaining fleet consisting of the carrier with the fighter & tech bomber and the battleship from sea zone 98, the fighter from Gibraltar.  I guess looking at it now it not so bad.

Thanks for all your input.

Calvin,  I made the whole global map in paint very detailed and a very large files (6 meg), I’ll go ahead and post in smaller Jpg file and any one interested to download entire file someone can show me how to post a bit map file.

• '10

@GrayBlaZe:

However, the fighters could fly from UK if wanted, they would land on the AC, the air units form the AC would land in Malta.

It may be that I’m just missing something, but I’m not seeing how the UK fighters can make it to Malta seazone in 5 moves

• @Sime:

@GrayBlaZe:

It may be that I’m just missing something, but I’m not seeing how the UK fighters can make it to Malta seazone in 5 moves

They don’t. They land on the carrier.

• They cant land on the carrier unless it is in SZ 95 or 97 (the home italian seazones)

1 move to english channel 110
    1 move to normandy or 112
    1 move to south france or west germany
    1 move to north italy
    1 move to SZ 95 or 97

SZ 96 can not be reached from UK by fighters, carrier or not

• I guess it got a bit misleading, it was only meant that they would only reach 95 or 97 where the AC would be waiting for them having landed their planes on Malta after the battle.

• '10

@GrayBlaZe:

I guess it got a bit misleading, it was only meant that they would only reach 95 or 97 where the AC would be waiting for them having landed their planes on Malta after the battle.

And the carrier could be damaged or even sunk. If the cruiser is sunk by germany then the U.K. only gets four hits and the BB and CV are sunk. Two hits sinks the BB and any more will take out planes or mess up the CV where planes cannot land or are lost.

• '10

@GrayBlaZe:

I guess it got a bit misleading, it was only meant that they would only reach 95 or 97 where the AC would be waiting for them having landed their planes on Malta after the battle.

Ah, OK. I was looking at your example with the picture you posted where everything meets in sz96.

• Yea that was a poor example that I made and poor argument in what I was trying to say.  I’m going to regroup and state my case again……  thanks for all the feed back…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m