AAZ details revealed (May 21 2018)

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@robert:

The zombie map might be a good replacement for the 41 map if the size is right.

Has anyone actually found value in the 41 Map as a teaching tool?

I’ve had no problems starting people on 42SE/Revised and then moving up to AA50/G40 if they’re interested in spending an entire weekend fighting it out.

• @DouchemanMacgee:

The AAZ map is definitely based on the 41 map though (look at the borders of the Russian/Chinese territories), which is probably a bad sign.

I’m curious/nervous about the die on the box image (the one with the letters “D” and “A” on the visible sides). Is it possible that WOTC took a hatchet to the combat system?

Speaking of realizing something that no one’s caught yet:

The starting incomes for several nations can be spotted on the AAZ Box image of the map:

AAZ (box):

• Russia: 14

• Japan: 15

• UK: 22

• Germany: 23

• US: unknown but surely higher than 23

As a comparision,
    1941:

• Russia: 7

• Japan: 9

• UK: 12

• Germany: 12

• US: 15

The income on the AAZ map is much higher for all than 1941, which is a good thing… my #1 complaint about 1941 is the complete lack of income for EVERYONE. I could see using the AAZ map as a replacement for the 1941 map for income alone.

Another thing I noticed that nobody else seemed to… like 1941, the Industrial Complexes are printed on the map… but it looks like Infantry-only production plants are ALSO printed on the map? Total guess on my part, but look at those symbols in China and India… they look like the factory emblems (sorta) but with infantry instead of factories as the icon.

Also, there’s clearly Artillery in AAZ… there’s none in 1941… with artillery and higher income, but with a small board and other limitations, this might be a better intro to A&A than 1941 is… probably wouldn’t be hard to just “not” use the Zombies if you wanted a “better 1941” as a teaching tool.

A final thought about the tiny map size of AAZ… the Japanese could land tanks on the Pacific coast of Russia and drive into Moscow the next turn with said tanks…

@DouchemanMacgee:

@robert:

The zombie map might be a good replacement for the 41 map if the size is right.

Has anyone actually found value in the 41 Map as a teaching tool?

I’ve had no problems starting people on 42SE/Revised and then moving up to AA50/G40 if they’re interested in spending an entire weekend fighting it out.

I have used 1941 as a teaching tool, though I must admit I usually do something to change incomes (upward)… 1941 isn’t much fun when you have to save up for a few turns to buy an infantry… lolz

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

I’d noticed the higher income but did not notice the Artillery! Good catch and definitely positive news.

• Speaking of artillery, and piece sculpts in general, this looks to be a bit of a back slide, to the days of Anniversary of all things.

British Arty: US 105mm Howitzers
    German Arty: 88mm Flak-cannons
    Russian Arty: US 105mm Howitzers

and

British Destroyer: US Fletcher class (noted as Johnson class in A&A rulebooks)
    British Submarine: US Gato class (noted as Ray class in A&A rulebooks)

but also

British Tank: Matilda, not US Shermans in UK tan

Just a thought…

-Midnight_Reaper

• well, Anniversary was the last game printed so making more minis from the same sculpt makes economic sense.

I imagine keeping the costs down  and retail price low was an important factor for this game.

• @robert:

well, Anniversary was the last game printed so making more minis from the same sculpt makes economic sense.

I imagine keeping the costs down  and retail price low was an important factor for this game.

If that’s the theory, then Anniversary should have had either 1942 or 1940 sculpts… since those were the last games made before Anniversary… they had to dig up old sculpts to make Anniversary.

Mind you, both 1942 and 1940 are still in production.

• Anniversary was just printed last fall, so it would be still fresh in the factory.

The others were a few years before that.
    I don’t know if molds are kept or discarded after a certain time.

Using previous sculpts/models to make new molds would be easy enough for new games but AAZ is so close after AAA that they might just run the same molds for the new game.
    Cutting costs on production as well.

• A distinction needs to be kept in mind between the original Anniversary edition and the recent Anniversary reprint.  Some of the reprint’s sculpts were brought up to what I’d call “recent standards”, meaning Global 1940.2 and 1942.2, so the reprint is actually a blend of newer sculpts and older ones.

• @AlphaKappa:

Artwork on the back of the box indicates no new sculpts except for the zombie miniatures.

What, no ‘chainsaw tanks?’  Color me disappointed.

How do we think they’ll differentiate between anti-zombie unit types if not by miniature?  A little slip of paper, again?
    Might be worth buying a few spares from HBG and do a little creative painting.

• TripleA '12

This looks cool… I think.  :-)

Looks like it’s already available for pre-order on Amazon US:

https://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Hill-Allies-Zombies-Board/dp/B07C9Q241F/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1528121232&sr=1-1&keywords=Axis+%26+Allies+Zombies

Does anyone know what the ‘86 card expansion deck for Axis & Allies 1942’ is? Are they like the event cards from A&A D-Day?

Many thanks!

• At least they included paper money……

:roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m