Sired's Map project - Updated- 4/16 - files available see first post

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the feedback! The pic was to basically show the color palette im going for.

@raster - yup, that’s the basic idea, just want a map with that feel, your not going to see colored territories and whatnot. I have some close ups of some UK maps, copied the city marker… red circle with black center :)

As for the roundels, na, I pulled some high rez ones off the net, in png… I didn’t plan on making my own, naturally I can if needed. I concur they do look a choppy in the pic, but I can assure you they are not.

Im being a bad boy today, took the day off so I can work on the map lol

• '17

4 gigs!?  Holy cow.  Yeah, you must have a lot of layers going on.  Still, 4 gigs?!?!  Water looks cool, as does the kamikaze and convoy icons!  I saw a map that was for a different game completely that was a “vintage” style like what you’re going after.  I thought it looked really cool.  Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

• looks good. 4 gigs is nothing for a map this size.

A few things I’d recommend:

1. standardize the placement of the convoy and kamikaze icons  top right and bottom right in the sea zones maybe with a rounded corner rectangle around them (hairline black would work)

2. change the IPC number in the circle from black to white so it stands out better from a distance

3. bold or change the font of the sea zone numbers as the thins of the font will disappear when printed

4. lastly, increase the kerning of the place names so they read easier from a distance

all in all a nice job, like the colour palette you chose.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Nice to see big progress on your map sired! Interesting old pirate look and feel to the map.

I really like the way the convoy and kamikaze symbols turned out, but I would suggest to play around with brighter colors for the territory names and income values to increase contrast for easy reading

Looking forward to the next update!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

We printed up your older version, its fun to customize and I appreciate all your efforts.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the feedback! I have placed all the SZ numbers in the lower corners of the boxes, I did end up changing the OOB for names with something more along the lines of a 1940’s font. I can easily beef up the SZ numbers for the skinny parts…… As for printing my older version, it wasn’t mine, this is my first version :)

• Palau Island seems a bit too large.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@calvinhobbesliker:

Palau Island seems a bit too large.

Lol ya… I never liked my I dude standing in the water ;)

• '17

@robert:

looks good. 4 gigs is nothing for a map this size.

I’d say it is.  I just finished a map that is about 30% larger than OOB with over 1000 layers and the .psd file is 1.2 gigs.  I was not using 32-bit color so maybe that’s the difference.  :?

• '17 '16 Customizer

The layer FX eats up the file size….I did go through and merge hundreds of layers, the file went from 3.8 gig to 1.3… easier to work with, more hassle to edit.

I’ll have a zoomed out shot later today.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@siredblood:

I’ll have a zoomed out shot later today.

I’m looking forward to see the effects of your nice artwork on a larger scale.

• '17

@siredblood:

The layer FX eats up the file size….

Ok, makes sense.  On mine, In order to keep file size down and number of layers, I did a lot of it in separate stand-alone projects, even much of the text.  And then when I was happy with something, I would merge the layers and import the JPEG into the map project.  If I wanted to edit, say some text, I would edit the separate text project file, merge layers, and import again.  So much of the FX stuff was done outside of the actual map project.  One thing that I found also is to try and keep text in the main map file to a minimum as it slows things down.  Raserize your text whenever practical.  Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Here is the map a far, and a close up…… pay no mind to fonts, placements, etc… im still messing with what I want. yesterday I messed the territories being the same, with border colors to differentiate them, but ended up not liking it… I was against the idea of territory colors, but I like it better then the glowing borders…

colors may change, but the idea will be the same, long ways to go before I can make a judgment call on the territory colors.

I know this is crazy different then oob  :-o

Also, might darken the whole thing… the more I do, I find the more there is to do.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Also, im not sure im happy with the direction of the art….

Another error found in the OOB… Honolulu is on the wrong island, they have it on Maui, not Oahu

• I like the duller or not so bright territory colors you have so far. It makes things stand out a bit but not bold. You may have to make the water slightly bluer.  Maybe a bit to many brown colors ?
    Still awesome work !

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks SS…. added more blue to water, idk… I like the map, just don’t think its what im after… too much color lol.

• I like it. Its so much different at least for me. Did you try white or black borders for sea zones I assume. Good luck and cant wait to see more pics.

• '17 '16 Customizer

ya pretty different, it somehow got away from my vision, thinking need this/that for gameplay, going to redo it, not a loss, as most of the time was separating territories into separate layers…. and im leaning towards back to no blue water, more paper look… ill be back lol

• This is going to look amazing  :-)

• This looks fantastic! I love that it’s so far from OOB. That’s probably not to everyone’s taste, though, but I sure like it!

Looking at it, I think I’d prefer the territories without colours, just to really distinguish this from the OOB map, and to cement the old-timey war map feel.

Hat’s off to you, sired. Great work! True artistry.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m