Sired's Map project - Updated- 4/16 - files available see first post

• Awesome, Sired! Hey, playing is what you’re supposed to do, right!? 2-3 times a week! I’d be so lucky… :) Glad to hear the project is still on. Looking forward to seeing the progress. :) Take it easy, man!

• Glad to hear your map is still in the works.  I made a table and have the oob map under plexi glass. I went over the territory lines with a magic marker. I have IL’s map and YG’s map downloaded on my pc. YG’s map has the tracker on it so if I print that one oob size it would have smaller territorys. IL’s map looks like he made the territory lines easier to see so I was watching YG’s vids about all the problems he had getting it printed while I save up money to print my own. Now I will wait to see yours first.  I like the way yours makes some of the important spaces bigger and the oob size is perfect for
    my table. Plus the old school look you seam to be going for sound so cool. Can’t wait to see the finished map.
      Good luck to you and GHG.  Can’t wait to see pics and vids from all the utubers there.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Ok guys, finally an update, as I mentioned in a vid, the file is hard to work with as there are so many layers, the file is 4gigs…… in addition, I was stumped on a art style, I messed with OOB, real, color, aged… ive always has a soft spot for aged crap. I found some great pics of a UK WW2 planning map, and that’s what i decided to base my colors and style off of. Im sure this theme will be disappointing to some of you, but i hope some of you still like it.

As the art has been decided, its only weeks away from being completed… and what lit my fire is, talking to some of my guys, we will be putting on an event here in Orange County this summer, and i want the maps to be in play!

Water is completed, as the fonts, more detail will be added to land masses, as well as map crap.

Hope you like the pic, shows the color theme.

• Sponsor

Looks fantastic dude, reminds me of an old treasure map for some reason… keep up the great work.

• The roundels look kinda jpeg ish, i hope your making your own vector roundels?

• Looks awesome brother

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Nice! I’d love to see a larger image sample if possible, hard to get a real flavor from a couple islands and sea zones, but I am not sure if you have made enough progress for that.

@Imperious:

The roundels look kinda jpeg ish, i hope your making your own vector roundels?

Agree with IL, however the text and other images have similar effects so I am assuming it is from using an actual jpeg for a screenshot.

• This is awesome! Reminds me of one of the maps in the Churchill War Rooms in London: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BLxveuNaTU4/T-LFa4R3djI/AAAAAAAAAqU/BK8HoXUKmMU/s1600/DSCN2148.JPG

Would also love to see a bigger picture when you have it!

Kepp up the great work. :)

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the feedback! The pic was to basically show the color palette im going for.

@raster - yup, that’s the basic idea, just want a map with that feel, your not going to see colored territories and whatnot. I have some close ups of some UK maps, copied the city marker… red circle with black center :)

As for the roundels, na, I pulled some high rez ones off the net, in png… I didn’t plan on making my own, naturally I can if needed. I concur they do look a choppy in the pic, but I can assure you they are not.

Im being a bad boy today, took the day off so I can work on the map lol

• '17

4 gigs!?  Holy cow.  Yeah, you must have a lot of layers going on.  Still, 4 gigs?!?!  Water looks cool, as does the kamikaze and convoy icons!  I saw a map that was for a different game completely that was a “vintage” style like what you’re going after.  I thought it looked really cool.  Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

• looks good. 4 gigs is nothing for a map this size.

A few things I’d recommend:

1. standardize the placement of the convoy and kamikaze icons  top right and bottom right in the sea zones maybe with a rounded corner rectangle around them (hairline black would work)

2. change the IPC number in the circle from black to white so it stands out better from a distance

3. bold or change the font of the sea zone numbers as the thins of the font will disappear when printed

4. lastly, increase the kerning of the place names so they read easier from a distance

all in all a nice job, like the colour palette you chose.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Nice to see big progress on your map sired! Interesting old pirate look and feel to the map.

I really like the way the convoy and kamikaze symbols turned out, but I would suggest to play around with brighter colors for the territory names and income values to increase contrast for easy reading

Looking forward to the next update!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

We printed up your older version, its fun to customize and I appreciate all your efforts.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the feedback! I have placed all the SZ numbers in the lower corners of the boxes, I did end up changing the OOB for names with something more along the lines of a 1940’s font. I can easily beef up the SZ numbers for the skinny parts…… As for printing my older version, it wasn’t mine, this is my first version :)

• Palau Island seems a bit too large.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@calvinhobbesliker:

Palau Island seems a bit too large.

Lol ya… I never liked my I dude standing in the water ;)

• '17

@robert:

looks good. 4 gigs is nothing for a map this size.

I’d say it is.  I just finished a map that is about 30% larger than OOB with over 1000 layers and the .psd file is 1.2 gigs.  I was not using 32-bit color so maybe that’s the difference.  :?

• '17 '16 Customizer

The layer FX eats up the file size….I did go through and merge hundreds of layers, the file went from 3.8 gig to 1.3… easier to work with, more hassle to edit.

I’ll have a zoomed out shot later today.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@siredblood:

I’ll have a zoomed out shot later today.

I’m looking forward to see the effects of your nice artwork on a larger scale.

• '17

@siredblood:

The layer FX eats up the file size….

Ok, makes sense.  On mine, In order to keep file size down and number of layers, I did a lot of it in separate stand-alone projects, even much of the text.  And then when I was happy with something, I would merge the layers and import the JPEG into the map project.  If I wanted to edit, say some text, I would edit the separate text project file, merge layers, and import again.  So much of the FX stuff was done outside of the actual map project.  One thing that I found also is to try and keep text in the main map file to a minimum as it slows things down.  Raserize your text whenever practical.  Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m