Sired's Map project - Updated- 4/16 - files available see first post

• Palau Island seems a bit too large.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@calvinhobbesliker:

Palau Island seems a bit too large.

Lol ya… I never liked my I dude standing in the water ;)

• '17

@robert:

looks good. 4 gigs is nothing for a map this size.

I’d say it is.  I just finished a map that is about 30% larger than OOB with over 1000 layers and the .psd file is 1.2 gigs.  I was not using 32-bit color so maybe that’s the difference.  :?

• '17 '16 Customizer

The layer FX eats up the file size….I did go through and merge hundreds of layers, the file went from 3.8 gig to 1.3… easier to work with, more hassle to edit.

I’ll have a zoomed out shot later today.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@siredblood:

I’ll have a zoomed out shot later today.

I’m looking forward to see the effects of your nice artwork on a larger scale.

• '17

@siredblood:

The layer FX eats up the file size….

Ok, makes sense.  On mine, In order to keep file size down and number of layers, I did a lot of it in separate stand-alone projects, even much of the text.  And then when I was happy with something, I would merge the layers and import the JPEG into the map project.  If I wanted to edit, say some text, I would edit the separate text project file, merge layers, and import again.  So much of the FX stuff was done outside of the actual map project.  One thing that I found also is to try and keep text in the main map file to a minimum as it slows things down.  Raserize your text whenever practical.  Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Here is the map a far, and a close up…… pay no mind to fonts, placements, etc… im still messing with what I want. yesterday I messed the territories being the same, with border colors to differentiate them, but ended up not liking it… I was against the idea of territory colors, but I like it better then the glowing borders…

colors may change, but the idea will be the same, long ways to go before I can make a judgment call on the territory colors.

I know this is crazy different then oob  :-o

Also, might darken the whole thing… the more I do, I find the more there is to do.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Also, im not sure im happy with the direction of the art….

Another error found in the OOB… Honolulu is on the wrong island, they have it on Maui, not Oahu

• I like the duller or not so bright territory colors you have so far. It makes things stand out a bit but not bold. You may have to make the water slightly bluer.  Maybe a bit to many brown colors ?
    Still awesome work !

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks SS…. added more blue to water, idk… I like the map, just don’t think its what im after… too much color lol.

• I like it. Its so much different at least for me. Did you try white or black borders for sea zones I assume. Good luck and cant wait to see more pics.

• '17 '16 Customizer

ya pretty different, it somehow got away from my vision, thinking need this/that for gameplay, going to redo it, not a loss, as most of the time was separating territories into separate layers…. and im leaning towards back to no blue water, more paper look… ill be back lol

• This is going to look amazing  :-)

• This looks fantastic! I love that it’s so far from OOB. That’s probably not to everyone’s taste, though, but I sure like it!

Looking at it, I think I’d prefer the territories without colours, just to really distinguish this from the OOB map, and to cement the old-timey war map feel.

Hat’s off to you, sired. Great work! True artistry.

• '17

@siredblood:

Also, im not sure im happy with the direction of the art….

Another error found in the OOB… Honolulu is on the wrong island, they have it on Maui, not Oahu

I like it!  I prefer some contrast between territories/nations, but that’s just my preference.  So your map works for me, especially the bluer oceans/seas.  I think you captured the old paper map style well, if that is what you were after?  Maybe give it some rough/torn edges?  Nice work!

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the feedback!.. I agree no color on the territories, but also agree, some sort of way to distinguish… wasn’t a fan of the border glow… maybe have it look like it was outlined in pen?.. I’ll work on a new border idea, post new pics Saturday…

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

The texture on the seazones are amazing!

I agree that it would be nicer to have something else then just a “fill color” on the countries would be best. Considered to try out different stains of brown combined with a distinct texture to distinguish them?

• for borders, you could try a gaussian blur country specific colour line and then put a “basic” line, thinner, on the next layer/overtop.

A slightly coloured blur would not infringe too much on the territory shape but add a slight distinction to each area.

If you already have the territories separated, edge them with the countries colour and then add the border line overtop.

The highest contrast to the brown territories is a purple-blue colour which might work best for the water Not as dark as revised but a hint of purple-blue would make the territories “pop” more.

• '17 '16 Customizer

This is it, im super happy with this. I decided against border color or anything to do with color specifics, aside from neutrals, which will vary in shades of brown. I thought about it, and aside from the initial setup, borders change round 1, so really not important.

Here is a close up, you can see the water, land, fonts, borders, etc…… Ill be adding in lots of city names to make the map look more official. The water will remain this color, but the ocean and sea names will be the blue shown.

Just be a couple week now, and ill be done… unfortunately cant work on it today, playing ww1 fpr the first time today :)

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@siredblood:

This is it, im super happy with this. I decided against border color or anything to do with color specifics, aside from neutrals, which will vary in shades of brown. I thought about it, and aside from the initial setup, borders change round 1, so really not important.

I’m glad you came up with a solution that you like and that fits your style of map the best. You’re absolutely right about the nation colors having no real game purpose. Although I have to say I like it to easily spot how many Russian home territories the Axis have eaten away. But that’s just me.

Looking forward to see the total map. The mini map on the right side already gives an impression of the overall look and feel, but nothing beats the real deal :-)

And what do you think of the ww1 game?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m