• 2007 AAR League

What the heck is the scouting debate???

• @CrazyStraw:

Aha!  The compulsive reply to the scouting topic is like watching a lab-rat hit a bar to receive a cocaine pellet.  It’s not healthy behavior, but no one can hold back.

;)

ka-chunk - rattle - kachunk - rattle - ka-chunk - rattle - kachunk - rattle - ka-chunk - rattle - kachunk - rattle - ka-chunk - rattle - kachunk - rattle - kachunk

What’s the scouting debate?

You’re at a tourney.  Someone comes by and watches your game.  He watches every move.  He just sits there.

Then you notice that that someone goes away after you finish your crucial moves, and starts having an animated discussion with someone else that is playing in the tournament.

So how do you feel about that?

• @General_D.Fox:

Everyone’s thinking Caspian Sub is you and I was playing against you…

Heh heh.  I’m glad the name is getting around.  Hopefully whoever’s using that name will start winning ;)

Only a couple of the CSub editors play online at all.  Of the four editors that have been to tournaments, none play online.  We’re pretty much just FTF guys.

I could see online play taking A LOT of time.  I don’t think I’ll ever get into it just because it’s too time intensive.  I like FTF banter, and I like knowing I get a game done in an afternoon.

Yoper: I’m sure lots of stories will get rehashed at the Spring Fling or Origins.  The one I’m dreading the most is about the savage beat-down Ohio put on Michigan at the Border Battle.  Next Nov. we’ll get some revenge.

Peace

• @CrazyStraw:

@General_D.Fox:

Everyone’s thinking Caspian Sub is you and I was playing against you…

Heh heh.  I’m glad the name is getting around.  Hopefully whoever’s using that name will start winning ;)

Only a couple of the CSub editors play online at all.  Of the four editors that have been to tournaments, none play online.  We’re pretty much just FTF guys.

I could see online play taking A LOT of time.  I don’t think I’ll ever get into it just because it’s too time intensive.  I like FTF banter, and I like knowing I get a game done in an afternoon.

Yoper: I’m sure lots of stories will get rehashed at the Spring Fling or Origins.  The one I’m dreading the most is about the savage beat-down Ohio put on Michigan at the Border Battle.  Next Nov. we’ll get some revenge.

Peace

There was the time I beat Crazystraw at Spring Gathering 07…. :)

Squirecam

• @squirecam:

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy, my friend.

;)

If I make it to Spring Gathering 07 there is DEFINITELY a slot on my schedule with your name on it.  Heck, if I make it out to the Vegas area sometime you’ll be getting a phone call  :-D

Peace

• @CrazyStraw:

@squirecam:

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy, my friend.

;)

If I make it to Spring Gathering 07 there is DEFINITELY a slot on my schedule with your name on it.  Heck, if I make it out to the Vegas area sometime you’ll be getting a phone call  :-D

Peace

I am just honored that someone as inadequate as myself would be allowed to play you. :)

Squirecam

• I think all forms of chatting are permitted and are in the spirit of the game. Its one of the least addressed aspects of why the game SHOULD only be a game played by 4-5 players to encourage to social aspect of having potentially 5 nations to play and these are not perfectly coordinated armies. They should not be because what makes the game fun is the sole aspect of “the sum of the parts is greater than the whole” philosophy which i feel is the games main discipline. If you have one guy telling/controlling everybody what to do the game has no point, and if you have everybody doing only what they want you have no point in playing. The matter is diplomacy and a give and take of “ill do this if you do that” which is consistent with the actual historical record. A happy medium is the only just reward for success and joy from playing.

If the whole game becomes reduced to some silly home preparation and sheets of paper with numerous “perfect plans” and a near perfect coordination of all nations… the game becomes reduced to something that IMO it was never intended to become by the designer.

If both sides make a few mistakes, but try to do the best they can for themselves and the “team” then they have succeeded in playing it correctly.

• :-D
    I had a couple guys do this to me in a tourney of A and A many years ago. Long before the Lord of the rings movies were made, but having just read the book, they reminded me of Golumn. So I started argueing with myself, loud enough for them to hear. They said it was distracting and asked me if I would cut it out. I said that I would be glad to, just as soon as they did. They got the message, and played their own turns from then on. In fact, it was a VERY quiet game after that.  :wink:

• @Crazy:

:-D
    I had a couple guys do this to me in a tourney of A and A many years ago. Long before the Lord of the rings movies were made, but having just read the book, they reminded me of Golumn. So I started argueing with myself, loud enough for them to hear. They said it was distracting and asked me if I would cut it out. I said that I would be glad to, just as soon as they did. They got the message, and played their own turns from then on. In fact, it was a VERY quiet game after that.  :wink:

Like, omg!

Me and a buddy were in a tourney, and there was this guy that was talking to himself.  So we said “Can you stop it” because he kept looking over at us and muttering “juicy sweeeeet!” and having large man-boobs, I found that offensive.

So he said “Oh, I’ll stop as soon as YOU stop.”

Obviously, we were talking with each other and having a conversation.  But this guy . . . I don’t know.  Scary.  Maybe he thought we were having conversations with our invisible friends.  Or something else that a crazy person might think.

We played the rest of the game in silence, watching the guy lick his lips and occasionally mutter to himself.  It was the most frightening six hours of my life, including the time I thought I’d run out of peanut butter at midnight when all the stores were closed.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I have a tendency to ask “are you sure” during some moves my opponent is making.  Just to make him nervous. But that’s not the ONLY dirty trick I pull.  Used to be I’d wear something scandalous as well.  :evil:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m