• So I’m thinking of making a custom table to fit G40 on.  I think I would like to have a 1 piece map and have it permanently attached to the table. 70”x32” is fine for us.
    Questions…
    1. What is the best material to get this printed on?
    2. Where did you get it printed?
    3. How much will this cost me?

• '18 '17 '16

I would recommend that you go to a specialty print shop in your town that has the capacity to print the size of map that you want. I can tell you that the Staples Office Depot in my town has a printer that is 500 miles away from here and they really didn’t know jack about printing more than doing pages. Their expertise seemed to be finding out how much it would cost me by reading a manual and telling me how long it would take.

I went to a local print shop, Papyrus Printing, who have a large printer on site and people who were knowledgeable about printing. I told them what it was for and how durable it needed to be. I asked them what I should have it printed on and how to protect it (they don’t all have the same materials in stock). My map was printed on some kind of vinyl and then finished with a cold matte laminate. You want to stay away from any type of glossy protective laminate or material because it will reflect the light and you will have a difficult time seeing the map. The cost will vary from place to place but a quality job is worth paying decent money for.

Here is a short video that I made when I had my map done;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gshpGSnfA&t=133s

• '17 Customizer

Not sure where you live but I use AlphaGraphics in Sunnyvale, CA.  They have printed two boards for me 1942 v2 and 1940 on cold rolled steel.  It is probably double what vinyl costs.  I am sure they can/will print on just about material you want, however.

They do good work and had to learn how to print on steel so they had to print it a few times…they didn’t charge me for that.  They even sourced the steel.  The owner is Alejandro.  Best thing, the whole crew was into the printing.  The had me bring sculps to see how they looked on the board and wanted to know how it is played.  The front desk person’s (Suzan Pearson csr462@alphagraphics.com) was going to boot camp she wanted some pictures.  I think the owner’s son is in the Navy or Air Force.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/alphagraphics-sunnyvale-3

Anyway, they are one potential source and I am sure they would ship and be happy to work with you.

Let me know if any questions…SJ

• @sjelso:

Not sure where you live but I use AlphaGraphics in Sunnyvale, CA.  They have printed two boards for me 1942 v2 and 1940 on cold rolled steel.  It is probably double what vinyl costs.  I am sure they can/will print on just about material you want, however.

They do good work and had to learn how to print on steel so they had to print it a few times…they didn’t charge me for that.  They even sourced the steel.  The owner is Alejandro.  Best thing, the whole crew was into the printing.  The had me bring sculps to see how they looked on the board and wanted to know how it is played.  The front desk person’s (Suzan Pearson csr462@alphagraphics.com) was going to boot camp she wanted some pictures.  I think the owner’s son is in the Navy or Air Force.

Anyway, they are one potential source and I am sure they would ship and be happy to work with you.

That’s sounds ideal. Do you have any pics or videos?

• @GeneralHandGrenade:

I would recommend that you go to a specialty print shop in your town that has the capacity to print the size of map that you want. I can tell you that the Staples Office Depot in my town has a printer that is 500 miles away from here and they really didn’t know jack about printing more than doing pages. Their expertise seemed to be finding out how much it would cost me by reading a manual and telling me how long it would take.

I went to a local print shop, Papyrus Printing, who have a large printer on site and people who were knowledgeable about printing. I told them what it was for and how durable it needed to be. I asked them what I should have it printed on and how to protect it (they don’t all have the same materials in stock). My map was printed on some kind of vinyl and then finished with a cold matte laminate. You want to stay away from any type of glossy protective laminate or material because it will reflect the light and you will have a difficult time seeing the map. The cost will vary from place to place but a quality job is worth paying decent money for.

Here is a short video that I made when I had my map done;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gshpGSnfA&t=133s

Thanks for the tips and video. I live in Los Angeles so I won’t have a problem finding a print shop if I go with vinyl. Do you have it glued down on something?

• '18 '17 '16

No the vinyl I have is thick enough to stay flat on the table. I tried two-sided tape but that was a nightmare to get off of the vinyl. I ended up using WD-40 because nothing else worked. You can get it mounted on something and that will keep it flat but then you won’t be able to roll it up if you want to store it. If you have a dedicated table for your map then that’s a good plan.

• @sjelso:

Just got a quote, 1 piece 70x32, for $275 from them.
    Another for$375, 2 pieces that connect. It’s a lot of money but it would be nice.

• That is crazy money. I paid $130 for an almost 4x8 board in Seattle on Vinyl.

• @bgugs:

That is crazy money. I paid $130 for an almost 4x8 board in Seattle on Vinyl.

Yep, going with vinyl.  :-D

• '17 '16 Customizer

What was the 275-375 quote for? Styrene, metal?…. Im here in mission Viejo, going out tomorrow for my quotes.

• My 4 x 8 maps are printed on vinyl for 120. Then I spray a thin coat of dull coat if u don’t get the matte finish.

• @siredblood:

What was the 275-375 quote for? Styrene, metal?…. Im here in mission Viejo, going out tomorrow for my quotes.

Metal map. Without a doubt it would be the best map to have.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Wow that’s an expensive map! But metal would be really nice if you have a fixed table for the game.

I will go with Vinyl when my global map is finished. Cheaper and the ability to store it more easily are the only reasons.

• @siredblood:

What kind of quotes did you get?

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Locke888:

@siredblood:

Vinyl was 480, and thin plastic paper stuff, non tear able was 300… prices are for 6 maps, I didn’t get into individual costs, as I need 6 for my event.

• @siredblood:

@Locke888:

@siredblood:

Vinyl was 480, and thin plastic paper stuff, non tear able was 300… prices are for 6 maps, I didn’t get into individual costs, as I need 6 for my event.

Great price for 6 maps!
    Bad news for me the metal map guy quoted me
    $200 to pack and ship. My dreams are destroyed!
    I guess it’s vinyl for me. Which is fine

• What size ? 3 x6 ?

Ya about my price after u break it down in size  mine 4 x 8 f. 125.00 3 x 6 f  90.00

• @SS:

What size ? 3 x6 ?

Ya about my price after u break it down in size  mine 4 x 8 f. 125.00 3 x 6 f  90.00

Just want the 76”x 33” file YG has up here. I’m happy with OOB size.

• '17 Customizer

$200 to ship…darn.  You can probably find a printer where you are or do a road trip to the Bay Area!

• Sponsor

I can get a quote from my print shop for a 72" X 33" 1940 Global map printed on adhesive vinyl with or without cold lamination option. This would roll like a poster making it more affordable to ship, they have a UPS account that is fully insured as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m