• Before I never even considered an attack on Hawaii the first turn. It seems like a good way to really knock USA back a notch to attack Hawaii.

The reason I send the bulk of Japan’s navy to India is to deter scrambling fighters from defending against the unloading transports. 2 battleships can do that but I lose off shore bombardment which isn’t a huge loss if I come into the land with enough. You guys seem to feel however that taking India J3 is unreasonable? Or am I mistaken?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

It wont work if they block SZ37, Japan player.  Only one ship is needed to stop japan from moving there on J3.

Also, if they scramble (and they can do this with or without an airbase if you are amphibing them) you lose all your support shots.  One plane or one destroyer is enough to scrub ALL shots.

Attacking Hawaii is an ok way to put America back a notch, but it is pretty dangerous to move your whole fleet there if you don’t’ control Hawaii land, because then they can bring all their fighters and tacticals, hit you, and then land.  The other guys suggested that you hit it with a partial force (but a blocker must be left behind).

This seems dangerous to me, because unless you are committing %70-%100 of your navy to threatening the north pacific, you risk an arms race with America that you can only match (without having attained threshold income of 50+).

If you kill Philippines J1, it requires about 40-50% of what you’ve got to seal the deal and kill the BB.    You can’t take Borneo and Philippines AND kill the Hawaii ships because you wont have enough up north/near wake/Hawaii to threaten the Americans.

If you leave Philippines alone, America gets like 77 money…you’re gonna get walloped if you J1-J2 and America turns on you while you’re down south.

And if you keep your fleet up north, whether we mean SZ 6 or warding off America in the north islands, it really cant do much but threaten and wait…not being put to active use

Overall, I’ve seen several good “Hawaii first” strategies, but they require that you

1. bring America into the war early and big
    2. take it in force the turn after you defeat the fleet (J2)
    3. put a crapload of fighters on it so it cant be retaken (J3)
    4. then shift and kill ANZAC
    5. Japan’s money is going to be limited under this scenario <40 until J5
  • '19 '17 '16

@taamvan:

Also, if they scramble (and they can do this with or without an airbase if you are amphibing them)

Bolded part is not true. Unless I’m very much mistaken.

Airbase means you can scramble with or without a naval battle when they are amphibing.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

“They can also be scrambled to resist amphibious
    assaults from adjacent sea zones, whether or not the
    territory being assaulted is the territory containing the
    air base.”  Page 16 Eur 2ed.

Usually its me who omits the small stuff…but don’t forget about this little gem.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

“whether or not the
    territory being assaulted is the territory containing the
    air base.”

you do still have to have an airbase, somewhere.  That’s where I was off.

• I see what you are saying. The Calcutta scramble is really bothersome. So assuming India makes no mistakes, three turns won’t happen. All in all you guys would say Turn 1 Japan attack is best though?

• '19 '17 '16

@JapanPlayer:

I see what you are saying. The Calcutta scramble is really bothersome. So assuming India makes no mistakes, three turns won’t happen. All in all you guys would say Turn 1 Japan attack is best though?

There was a poll not long ago on this forum. The J1 DOW lobby is quite loud but it doesn’t appear to be the majority.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

J1 is a very different animal in Balance Mode

• What difference does BM make to the J1 DoW Variance?

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Japan gets rewarded for taking Wake (denies USA a NO) and on turn 2 you can use marines so you might build some.  That makes Wild Bill’s pearl harbour attack much more worthwhile.  China is still going to be a problem if you do this but its a better deal.

• Thanks for answering Variance. :-)

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I like the 3 transports + 1 marine build

• What is Balance Mode?

• '19 '17 '16

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m