List of standard acronyms…noob confused by IPC, IC, FIG, KJF, etc...

• '12

@calvinhobbesliker:

@moralecheck:

@a44bigdog:

CV = Cruiser  AViation

I thought it was Carrier AViation.

I thought it was carrier vessel

Looks like we are both wrong.  From: http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/index_ships_list.htm

On 17 July 1920, the Secretary of the Navy prescribed a standard nomenclature for types and classes of NAVAL VESSELs, including aircraft, in which lighter-than air craft were identified by the type “Z” and heavier-than air craft by the letter “V”.  The reference also speculates that:  “The use of the “V” designation has been a question since the 1920s.  However, no conclusive evidence has been found to identify why the letter “V” was chosen.  It is generally believed the “V” was in reference to the French word volplane.  As a verb, the word means to glide or soar. As a noun, it described an aeronautical device sustained in the air by lifting devices (wings), as opposed to the bag of gas that the airships (denoted by “Z”) used.  The same case may be regarding the use of “Z”.  It is generally believed the “Z” was used in deference to Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin.  However, documentation has not been located to verify this assumption.”

• I can’t recall my source, so I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the information, but what I’ve read about this subject agrees with the Cruiser aViation theory.  Naval aviation initially had just a reconnaissance role, and so was regarded as an extension of the function of cruisers, one of whose jobs was to act as the scouts of the fleet.  “CA” couldn’t be used because it was already taken to designate (I think) heavy cruisers, so rather than the first letter in “aviation” being added to “C”, the second one was used instead.

Still, there are other theories floating around.  One creative explanation that I once heard – from a crewmember of the nuclear carrier USS Enterprise – was that “V” stood for “Vixed wing”, an alternate pronunciation of “fixed wing” which distinguished a fleet carrier from a helicopter-carrying assault ship.  I don’t think he was kidding me, but I found the explanation a bit too convoluted to be convincing.

• Can I leave this here? www dot boardgamegeek.com/article/8735778#8735778

I love Super subs, one of my favs

• CV = Aircraft Carriers
    CVN = Aircraft Carriers Night Opperations (WW2 Area)
    CVN = Aircraft Carriers Nuclear (modern)
    DEI = Dutch East Indies
    SS = Submarines (I’m assuming it’s for Submerible Ship)
    Sealion = Operation Sealion (The German invasion of UK)
    Barbarosa = Operation Barbarosa (The German invasion of USSR)
    I’ve heard of people using Typhoon (The German mad dash to take Moscow)
    and Blue (The German push into Southern Russia)
    HMS = Her Majesty’s Ship
    IJ = Imperial Japan
    USSR = Russia
    AB = Air Base
    NB = Naval Base

Alot of Axis and Allies fans are either military buffs, history buffs or both so ship stuff like CV or DD or SS is used for ships alot and WW2 Operations get used for general strategies. Such as "The Western Allies (america and uk) need to d-day (do i need to say what this is) asap (as soon as possible) to help russia fight off Barbarosa.

• :-)
    Nice post, Yavid, thanks

• '12

@Yavid:

CV = Aircraft Carriers
    CVN = Aircraft Carriers Night Opperations (WW2 Area)
    CVN = Aircraft Carriers Nuclear (modern)
    DEI = Dutch East Indies
    SS = Submarines (I’m assuming it’s for Submerible Ship)
    Sealion = Operation Sealion (The German invasion of UK)
    Barbarosa = Operation Barbarosa (The German invasion of USSR)
    I’ve heard of people using Typhoon (The German mad dash to take Moscow)
    and Blue (The German push into Southern Russia)
    HMS = Her Majesty’s Ship
    IJ = Imperial Japan
    USSR = Russia
    AB = Air Base
    NB = Naval Base

Alot of Axis and Allies fans are either military buffs, history buffs or both so ship stuff like CV or DD or SS is used for ships alot and WW2 Operations get used for general strategies. Such as "The Western Allies (america and uk) need to d-day (do i need to say what this is) asap (as soon as possible) to help russia fight off Barbarosa.

The H in HMS was “His” for WW2.

Citadel(le) = Historically, it was the German codename for the Kursk offensive.  In AA terms, it can (at least in my group)  refer to an all out and luck dependant German offensive against Russia launched in hopes of turning the tables in games where the Russians have already survived the biggest of German pushes and are clearly starting to win.  A failed Citadel usually marks the beginning of the end of the game.

• Let me add some more:

IJN= Imperial Japanese Navy
    USN= United States navy
    India Crush= Japanese strategy to capture calcutta by J3

A2, A3: Alpha 2, Alpha 3, etc etc. Official setups made by Larry Harris. (with the newest one being A3.9)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@moralecheck:

I believe it stands for Her Majesty’s Ship now.  But yea, in WWII, it was His Majesty’s Ship…

• @Cmdr:

@moralecheck:

I believe it stands for Her Majesty’s Ship now.  But yea, in WWII, it was His Majesty’s Ship…

Correct.  When George VI died and Elizabeth became Queen, the Royal Navy had to change the brass lettering on all of the oak casks in which grog was mixed from “The King, God Bless Him” to “The Queen, God Bless Her.”  Grog rations were abolished by the RN in the 1970s, so fortunately for the RN’s budget it won’t have to change everything back to “The King, God Bless Him” when Elizabeth II is succeeded by (presumably) King Charles III.

I’da left the darn things as they were and only changed the inscription on new ones…but then, maybe it is thinking like that which caused England to get a bloody nose twice in the colonies?  (War of Colonial Insurrection 1, War of Colonial Insurrection 2 (1812))

• @Cmdr:

I’da left the darn things as they were and only changed the inscription on new ones…but then, maybe it is thinking like that which caused England to get a bloody nose twice in the colonies?  (War of Colonial Insurrection 1, War of Colonial Insurrection 2 (1812))

that’s what the limeys call it?? Bwaaaahahaha!!!

@Slackaveli:

@Cmdr:

Better than the War of Northern Aggression! (Civil War)

• @Slackaveli:

@Cmdr:

I doubt they call it that because Britain’s had quite a few of those in other parts of the Empire, so the name wouldn’t be distinctive enough.  They’ve even had a few in the upper half of North America, if you count the Lower Canada Rebellion (1837) and the Upper Canada Rebellion (same year), so it wouldn’t even be distinctive enough to call the American Revolution the “War of American Colonial Insurrection”.  Maybe “War of Insurrection in the Thirteen Colonies” would be better, or perhaps “War of Colonial Insurrection by the So-Called United States of America”, which would be quite a mouthful.

• It sounds funny to my American ears is all. perspective is a funny thing. still have english blood in my veins, cousins. :-)

• OOL - Order of loss

• I am trying to review some forums games and I was wondering what WLO and TWLO stand for in the combat results?

Here is an example:

Results
    Ukr defended wlo 3inf art(2inf art tank ftr Ger remains)
    WRu twlo 4inf

• wlo = with loss of
    twlo = taken with loss of

• what on earth is N.G.  ?

• New Guinea?
    Or not good

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m