List of standard acronyms…noob confused by IPC, IC, FIG, KJF, etc...

• anygame that requires this much though has got to be great

• Another naval historian.  Origin of some of the early carriers.

The British carriers Furious, Courageous, and Glorious were all conversions of light battlecruisers of the same names, although the ships were also classified as “large light cruisers” as they had cruiser speed and armor, but carried four 15 inch guns in the Courageous and Glorious, and one 18 inch gun in the Furious which was originally completed as a hybrid carrier/cruiser.

The British carrier Eagle was a conversion of the partially-built battleship of the same name.  The Eagle had been originally ordered by Chile before the war, and was taken over by the British, with monetary compensation, at the start of the war.  Construction was drastically slowed by the need for antisubmarine vessels, and the surplus of battleships.  The Eagle’s sister ship, the Canada, served with the Grand Fleet at Jutland, and was returned to Chile following the war.

The US carriers Lexington and Saratoga were both conversions of battlecruisers that otherwise would have been scrapped under the terms of the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty.

The French carrier Bearn was a conversion of a partially completed “Normandie” class battleship whose construction had been suspended during World War One.

The Japanese carrier Akagi was a conversion of a battlecruiser that would also have been scrapped under the Washington Naval Treaty, and its sister ship Amagi was also being converted, but was severely damaged by the 1923 Tokyo earthquake and then scrapped.  The carrier Kaga was converted from the uncompleted battleship of the same name as replacement for the Amagi.  The decision to convert the Shinano was made following the Battle of Midway to make up for Japanese carrier losses.

The Shinano also has the distinction of being the largest warship ever sunk by a submarine, the Archerfish, in November of 1944.  The US Naval Technical Mission to Japan did a detailed study of the loss of the ship at the behest of the US Navy Bureau of Ships.

I hope that this bit of naval history trivia is interesting to you.

• timerover this stuff is intreasting but why’d you post here?

• @cyan:

timerover this stuff is intreasting but why’d you post here?

I did it as a follow-up to Baghdaddy’s comment.  Where should I post it instead?

• @timerover51:

@cyan:

I did it as a follow-up to Baghdaddy’s comment.  Where should I post it instead?

Man do I have a topic area that is just WAITING for you to join in!

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=57.0

Our WWII History Topic Area.  Almost custom designed for you.  I think you will find that posts such as yours will be VERY welcome there and will help spark increased interest in that topic area.  Welcome aboard, and enjoy!

• @timerover51:

@cyan:

okay didn’t see it. it just seemed a little bit random.( doesn’t anymore).

• Okay, I will copy and paste it over there.  I have an enormous amount of data like that.  I worked with Larry Bond and Chris Carlson on some of the Command at Sea games as their technical consultant.

• Enjoy!

Now that does NOT mean that we do not want your posts made in other threads where they are relevant and will be of interest to folks and advance discussion.

I simply wanted you to know that that topic area existed, because i think you will really enjoy it!

• CV = Cruiser  AViation

• What are OOB rules?  And what is a “sealion” attack?  Thanks!

• @captainjack:

What are OOB rules?  And what is a “sealion” attack?  Thanks!

‘Out of the box’ ie. as manufactured

Sealion is an invasion of the U.K.

• @captainjack:

What are OOB rules?  And what is a “sealion” attack?  Thanks!

its a reference to this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sealion
    people sometimes refer to things to an actual event. like pearal harbour II is sometime the attack on the US navy first round.

of course a more appropriate name would be battle midway. (because it round 1 is about the time of the battle of midway.  but also hawaii and midway are right next to each other. I don’t really see any point to having midway its own territory at all. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Orthographic_projection_centred_over_midway.png)
    the Alaskan island would be much better or even dividing China up into two territories would be a better territory than midway.

• What does mean JTDTM, KRF and KAF please ?

JTDTM = Japan Tank Dash To Moscow

KRF = Kill Russia First

KAF = Kill America First

• I am starting to use RPR for repairs to IC’s - bought during purchase units phase

• Just a note. I always thought SS was super subs. Is this wrong?

• @Wilson2:

Just a note. I always thought SS was super subs. Is this wrong?

Yes and no. The naval designation for submarines is SS. IL gave the common two letter designators in an earlier post. Most of here call Super Subs Stupid Subs as it is not generally a desired tech. This is especially true in AA50 (Anniversary Edition) where tech research is not directed but rolled from a chart once a “breakthrough” is made.

• SS is the official naval designation for subs

BB
    CV
    CA
    DD
    SS
    AP

• '12

@a44bigdog:

CV = Cruiser  AViation

I thought it was Carrier AViation.

• @moralecheck: