• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@alexgreat:

just seen it until the…I dont know the correct English…title song? I saw this in German, which is almost always bad, so reserve my judgment for the original voices. It was too colloquial for me, in any case, but maybe thats the translation.

Interesting Klingon scene, but as always, who cares for those retarded warriors when the ever intriguing Romulans could have been had instead :)

Title Song is correct.

Are Trek voiceovers in German usually that bad? I have gotten the impression that Star Trek, maybe Next Generation in particular, is quite popular in Germany. Since German is relatively close to English, I would have thought that the dialogue-picture to match up decently well.

• '17 '16

@LHoffman:

Are Trek voiceovers in German usually that bad?

See for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-e4CEqzPH0

@Wolfshanze:

@LHoffman:

Are Trek voiceovers in German usually that bad?

See for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-e4CEqzPH0

What’s wrong with that? Certainly isn’t as bad as watching Japanese movies in English.

• '17 '16

@LHoffman:

What’s wrong with that? Certainly isn’t as bad as watching Japanese movies in English.

Scotty speaking German is just wrong! lol

• That version is like Germany winning the war and its necessary consequence….Everybody now speaks German.

@Imperious:

That version is like Germany winning the war and its necessary consequence….Everybody now speaks German.

Nothing wrong with that.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I can sort of see where the writers are going with Michael’s dual identities as a parable for today’s society, but we’ve basically spent 50 years with a Vulcan confronting his humanity. Now we have a human who’s too Vulcan?

@General:

I can sort of see where the writers are going with Michael’s dual identities as a parable for today’s society, but we’ve basically spent 50 years with a Vulcan confronting his humanity. Now we have a human who’s too Vulcan?

In what way do you think it is a parable?

And I agree; the focus on Sarek and Spock (and Vulcans in general) as the primary vehicle for Trek’s exploration of humanity has become trite. Like you said it has been 50 years. Just like is happening with the new Star Wars films, I am getting concerned that Star Trek is shying away from telling any new stories. The actors have different names and faces and may be more diverse, but the characters and plots are all the same as they were 40 years ago.

TNG expanded admirably on the Spock-humanity theme (which is really the heart of Star Trek in my opinion) with Data. But even then Spock and Sarek were recurring characters in the show. To have them be so again here is leaning too much on a crutch. It may serve to connect a 2017 show to a 1967 show, but nobody that knows who Spock and Sarek are need that overt connection. And the people who don’t know who Sarek is wouldn’t notice the difference if he wasn’t there.

I just wonder where they are going with it. The human-Vulcan bit is a cop-out born of either playing it safe or trying to advertise overtly that ‘this is Star Trek’. I suppose this could be an attempt at the inverse of Spock; rather than a Vulcan (half human) who is constantly pushed to embrace emotion, we have a human (raised Vulcan) who is pushed to harness their emotion under logic. The pilot episode certainly made it obvious that Michael is something of a reactionary firebrand who does whatever she feels is right. I found her highly unlikable, particularly for being the main character. Seems odd that is what the writers are trying to foster, but if that was their intent it worked with me.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Watched episodes 1 and 2 last night.  Sadly disappointed.  it was painfully acted.  The next gen, ds9, and even voyager era of sets/costumes was far superior.  Even the ship designs look goofy and cartoony now.

The only decent character dies - and “Michael” is just a dumbass - who I hope dies soon.

“Don’t shoot that guy - he’ll be a martyr!”  3 minutes of film later - Shoots the guy.

• '17 '16

@Gargantua:

“Michael” is just a dumbass - who I hope dies soon.

If this were TOS, you could just put him in a red shirt and he’d die before the first commercial break…

@Wolfshanze:

@Gargantua:

“Michael” is just a dumbass - who I hope dies soon.

If this were TOS, you could just put him in a red shirt and he’d die before the first commercial break…

The good old days when everyone wore colored uniforms.

I’m probably reading too much into the writers’ intent but Michael’s conflicting personality battle could be reflective of identity politics of today. There are expectations for what people of color should believe in and in some cases how to behave (and how to be perceived) and the same can apply to women. In this case you have a woman of color, who has two layers of identity to navigate through.

@General:

I’m probably reading too much into the writers’ intent but Michael’s conflicting personality battle could be reflective of identity politics of today. There are expectations for what people of color should believe in and in some cases how to behave (and how to be perceived) and the same can apply to women. In this case you have a woman of color, who has two layers of identity to navigate through.

That seems a complicated layering, whereas the Trek social parables tend to be more simplistically obvious. In the tradition of Star Trek, I am sure the writers feel entitled, likely even a responsibility, to use the show as vehicle for contemporary social commentary. Fortunately in the past, Trek was episodic enough that such parables were usually limited to singular instances. I hope that this whole show doesn’t become one long parallel for our current social problems, given that is modern, serialized show. I find that kind of plot writing to be lazy, condescending and uninteresting.

Your idea is interesting though and not something I considered. This day in age, it wouldn’t surprise me if you are right.

• Is this Micheal a walker? How did he die? Did Grimes shoot him?

@Imperious:

Is this Micheal a walker? How did he die? Did Grimes shoot him?

Actually, the first thing I said to my wife when I saw her in DSC was, “Ahh dammit, I thought she was dead.”

Having just finished S7 of TWD.

• '17 '16

@LHoffman:

@Wolfshanze:

The good old days when everyone wore colored uniforms.

TOS was the good old days when you could always count on someone dying before the first commercial break… TNG and beyond was always too touchy-feely for me.

• If Micheal dies he can go back to being a walker on the Walking Dead. Thats where they got all the actors from the new Star Trek show… as Walkers

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Michael is a woman.

And this is basically what we’ve learned about her character.  She is a mash up of a bunch of famed Star Trek personalities.  Instead of Michael they should start calling her Captian KirkspockuhuraJaneway

She certainly has the court-martial-be-damned moxie of Captain Janeway, who bent the Prime Directive new knots in the Delta Quadrant.

As Harry Plinkett asked during his review of Star Trek Nemesis (seems to age better given the Trek we have now) after an appearance from Admiral Janeway; “shouldn’t she be in a prison?”

@General:

She certainly has the court-martial-be-damned moxie of Captain Janeway, who bent the Prime Directive new knots in the Delta Quadrant.

As Harry Plinkett asked during his review of Star Trek Nemesis (seems to age better given the Trek we have now) after an appearance from Admiral Janeway; “shouldn’t she be in a prison?”

:lol:  If I could give this post +10 I would!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m