New Stalingrad movie due this year..

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Looks interesting, but still much too stylized to be a great movie.

• Customizer

@Imperious:

These days they always have to combine some love story in order to sell us a proper war movie. Before 1980, a war movie could be made where the actual story was the war, not used as a backdrop to develop something else.

Examples of war movies w/o love: Tora Tora Tora, Longest Day**, Patton, A Bridge Too Far, etc.
    ––Yep, I completely understand and agree with your viewpoint on this. I have about 300 war movies on DVD and not to be nostalgic,…but they just don’t make 'em like they used to.**

“Tall Paul”

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Poor lighting and baffling music choice in the trailer. Looks like this is on par with Pearl Harbor (could not believe Alec Baldwin delivering such cliched lines as Jimmy Doolittle). The visual effects are probably lousy.

Would be nice for Hollywood to use ever-evolving computer effects to give us anthologies of the European and Pacific theaters.

• I would watch this movie over, say,  The Longest Day, and I even enjoyed that movie and have read the book.  There’s a charm to older war movies, but without grit, guttural, or gore, it just feels like a war game to me.  I’ll trade a love story for that set of realism any day.

@General:

Poor lighting and baffling music choice in the trailer. Looks like this is on par with Pearl Harbor (could not believe Alec Baldwin delivering such cliched lines as Jimmy Doolittle). The visual effects are probably lousy.

If you feel that way, then I doubt we watched the same trailer or that you even saw Pearl Harbor.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I liked some of the stylized movies.

Stuff like Sin City, or 300.  It’s all eyecandy

Albeit in this case, it’s likely to largely take away from the “accuracy” but it does bring new interest and excitement to the history/event.

I’m all for it.

Hmm, this is cool.

Thomas Kretschmann was in the 1993 version, and will also be in this 2013 version.

It’s also the only movie ever made in full 3d and for Imax outside of continental America.

And for the record, the song from the preview is not going to be in the film.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Wasted $10+ and three hours on Pearl Harbor at a theater. I’m glad I’ve forgotten most of it, save for the aforementioned Baldwin cameo.

I would assume the music used for the trailer doesn’t reflect the soundtrack for the film but it still struck a nerve for me, it was totally inappropriate and hit a wrong note.

@General:

Wasted $10+ and three hours on Pearl Harbor at a theater. I’m glad I’ve forgotten most of it, save for the aforementioned Baldwin cameo.

I would assume the music used for the trailer doesn’t reflect the soundtrack for the film but it still struck a nerve for me, it was totally inappropriate and hit a wrong note.

Waaaaah……

I find your lack of faith disturbing General Veers.

• I remember going to see pearl harbor with my dad. I was 7 or 8 years old and the movie scared me so much. Because of the part when the Zero fighters strafe the civilians, I was scared of a Japanese or German plane attack for like 2 months lol.

This movie looks like enemy at the gate. Looks nice. Always cool to have a movie on the eastern front. Not much of these around.

Does anyone knows where I could watch the movie Stalingrad (the German one that was release in 1993 I think)
    Been looking for that one

• You knew that with Ben Affleck it would be a love story with a war going on just to get men to watch.

Then they made the Doolittle raid look like they fire bombed the entire southern half of Japan and a worse defeat than they got at Hawaii. That’s the other thing i hate when they try to compensate for losing the battle. I get more credibility from 12 o’clock high TV show.

The worst part of Pearl Harbour (Which I didn’t mind as entertainment alone) was that Ben Affleck couldn’t be shot down, unless of course “his machine failed”, and forced him to fall out of the sky.

The Luftwaffe had his ass.

• What about the cook that shoots down 80 planes single highhandedly when only 29 total were lost? Yea great concept. Turn Pearl Harbor into an American victory, then bomb Tokyo and have another victory.

• If the movie is good and being as good as accurate I will oversee mistakes.
    But if you have the equipment and doing a lousy job on accuracy then don´t even start to make a movie.

The Longest Day, very good movie, Saving PFC Ryan ,just FUBAR.
    Tora ,Tora ,Tora very good movie ,Pearl Harbor ? you get the idea…

• I wonder if this film will get to most theaters? If it does I will give it whirl.

@Imperious:

What about the cook that shoots down 80 planes single highhandedly when only 29 total were lost? Yea great concept. Turn Pearl Harbor into an American victory, then bomb Tokyo and have another victory.

I seem to recall that he only shoots down 1 or 2?

• I don’t want to lose IQ watching it again, but from memory it was at least 5-6 and looked like this Potato peeler was a crack AA shot.

That they just clone him 50 times over and only need one battleship of these clones to win the war. He was Audie Murphy and then some.

• @Imperious:

That they just clone him 50 times over and only need one battleship of these clones to win the war. He was Audie Murphy and then some.

His name was Doris Miller.  He was awarded the Navy Cross (presented to him in person by Admiral Nimitz).  The citation was for “distinguished devotion to duty, extraordinary courage and disregard of his personal safety during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. While at the side of his Captain on the bridge, Miller despite enemy strafing and bombing, and in the face of serious fire, assisted in moving his Captain, who had been mortally wounded, to a place of greater safety and later manned and operated a machine gun until ordered to leave the bridge.”  He doesn’t seem to have actually shot down any planes; the award was for distinguished action under enemy fire.

• He doesn’t seem to have actually shot down any planes; the award was for distinguished action under enemy fire.

But in the movie he shot down the Japanese air force one plane after another, which made the movie suck because it catered to the gung ho American public turning total defeat into small victory just to sell more tickets. What a crock.

Reminds me of that movie in inglorious bastards with that German shooting all the Americans

• The book Miracle at Midway includes an unintentionally amusing quote from Miller himself describing the ceremony at which he was decorated.  Miller, whose spelling was a bit unorthodox, wrote about how moved he felt when Nimitz pinned the Navy Cross on his “heaving busom”.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m