• Hello guys, I’ve been reading topics on this forum for some time now and love the different inputs on different strategies. I’ve been playing maybe 10-15 games in total against a more experienced friend and I just can’t seem to win, even playing axis without allied bid which really frustrates me. So now I thought it was time to do something about it and decided to get involved in your discussions! Please go easy on me ^^

I, much like some of you, am not a fan of the SZ37 attack with UK fleet against the Japanese fleet and I’m looking for alternatives. Going after the Japanese transport with a cruiser and fighter or retreating the whole fleet looks interesting. I see you guys mentioning “joining up in south Atlantic” or a “UK med focus”, but how do you execute them? I can’t see how the fleet would be attacking Germany by round 3/4 without passing right through a German battleship and the Luftwaffe. Wouldn’t they just get destroyed immediately? And going all the way around South Africa looks slow as a first impression. And how do you handle Japan with a battleship and fully loaded carrier intact? How much should navy should USA build in the pacific in a strategy like this that I assume is more KGF oriented, also assuming that Japan did PH.

I have a lot of questions, but i hope you can take some time to answer them. I want to get back at my friend and win my first game!!! :evil:

• '19 '17 '16

wrt SZ37 it seems to be a bit of an all or nothing roll of the dice. If you win the battle, you should win the war - the US and UK can then take down the islands. I guess if you don’t do it the british fleet off india can go after the german med BB which certainly helps.

Seems to be a bit of miscalculation in setting up the game. There shouldn’t be these kinds of moves on the first turn. It’s not much of a game if the attack is made.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Welcome to the forum :-D  I added some of my thought but keep in mind those are not bullet-proof strategies and needs to re-evaluate and adapt based on situations.

@InViriconium:

Hello guys, I’ve been reading topics on this forum for some time now and love the different inputs on different strategies. I’ve been playing maybe 10-15 games in total against a more experienced friend and I just can’t seem to win, even playing axis without allied bid which really frustrates me. So now I thought it was time to do something about it and decided to get involved in your discussions! Please go easy on me ^^

I, much like some of you, am not a fan of the SZ37 attack with UK fleet against the Japanese fleet and I’m looking for alternatives. Going after the Japanese transport with a cruiser and fighter or retreating the whole fleet looks interesting. I see you guys mentioning “joining up in south Atlantic” or a “UK med focus”, but how do you execute them? I can’t see how the fleet would be attacking Germany by round 3/4 without passing right through a German battleship and the Luftwaffe. Wouldn’t they just get destroyed immediately?

If Germany is not well prepared having the UK navy walked through the med is great and it creates a lot of threat to Germany, but keep in mind this works only when Germany is not paying enough attention ….

And going all the way around South Africa looks slow as a first impression.
    This is possibly more likely to happen.  It’s actually not as slow as you might think of.  By round 4, when executing well, all UK and US Navy will regroup and get ready for counterattack

And how do you handle Japan with a battleship and fully loaded carrier intact?
    One way that works for me is let the UK Navy escape in such a way that would cause Japan cost if they choose to attack.  In this case, if you move the Navy towards Africa Japan would only have 2 fighters to catch you so even though they have upper hand their winning percentage is not that great.  Axis is actually hard to play some time, IMHO, because they cannot afford losing too much initial capitals due to weaker economy and Allies can take advantage of this

How much should navy should USA build in the pacific in a strategy like this that I assume is more KGF oriented, also assuming that Japan did PH.
    My humble thought is both KGF and KJF are viable option in 42 2E, and full Pacific, full Atlantic, or mix would all work but that really depends on situation.  I personally like 80/20 combination

I have a lot of questions, but i hope you can take some time to answer them. I want to get back at my friend and win my first game!!! :evil:

• @simon33:

I don’t know what you mean about it being unwise for Germany to get involved in km karelia. I’m sure it is imprudent not to.

Wouldn’t Japan just take down the British ships which are in range if you don’t do sz37?

obviously at some point you have to take Russian territory to win, but starting too soon and trading back and forth will be the death of Germany, I’ve even seen them march to moscow just to be beaten back, and if you fail, by the time you recoup the allies have you beat in the west.

just can’t do it too soon, and when i play, japan usually has tanks sitting outside moscow when they fall

• @InViriconium:

I, much like some of you, am not a fan of the SZ37 attack with UK fleet against the Japanese fleet and I’m looking for alternatives. Going after the Japanese transport with a cruiser and fighter or retreating the whole fleet looks interesting. I see you guys mentioning “joining up in south Atlantic” or a “UK med focus”, but how do you execute them? I can’t see how the fleet would be attacking Germany by round 3/4 without passing right through a German battleship and the Luftwaffe. Wouldn’t they just get destroyed immediately? And going all the way around South Africa looks slow as a first impression. And how do you handle Japan with a battleship and fully loaded carrier intact? How much should navy should USA build in the pacific in a strategy like this that I assume is more KGF oriented, also assuming that Japan did PH.

taking the navy around the horn of south africa is good, but you’d have to split the pacific navy, those off india going to south africa and up and around, and those at austrailia going north east.  it isn’t a bad move.  I agree with what innohub said, it isn’t so slow that it loses the game for you.

i just personally like taking the islands and forcing Japans hand at either using their navy to take them back or ignoring the fleet and leaving it to link up with the US fleet in the south pacific.  the goal is to divide and conquer.  which is why the map is harder as axis in my mind.  the extra territories on the french coast make it harder for fortress europe, so take advantage of that fact.  same with asia, more territories make it harder to control for japan.

luckily the US doesn’t have much to start with in asia, the units are split up and the IPCs are lower, making it pointless to build an IC in china for the US.

like everyone says, situations change, but i’d recommend you start playing by yourself and trying the moves out.  first turns are very important in these games, once those are over, then strategies appear and are either defeated or come to fruition in turn 4 or 5.

in short, here are my country strategies

ussr: survive!
    germany: turtle, and start moving stacks of inf towards moscow, slowing, but surely, all the while building up fortress europe
    uk: bomb bomb bomb, send fighters to ussr, and try to get a foothold on the continent
    japan: pressure russia so that the germans can walk in, keep the US at bay by playing games.  take india as soon as you can!  first turn if the UK isn’t playing well
    us: play the chess game in the pacific, make japan work hard and keep the navy away from the coast so that it can’t help india assault, oh and BOMB BOMB BOMB germany into oblivion (this is a must, you can afford the losses, but ussr MUST have a weaker germany to survive)

happy playing!  hope you win!

• '19 '17 '16

I’ve played quite a number of games of this one as allies against the hard AI on tripleA. I’ve found a couple of things:

• with a successful SZ37 axis falls without much trouble without a bid.
    • without SZ37 and using the UK fleet to take down the med, allies can win without a bid but it is quite difficult. BTW, I did it without ever getting around to doing strategic bombing raids. I always find better things to spend my money on than trading IPCs roughly one for one with Germany. If the AI took down Transjordan on G1 this wouldn’t be possible until UK2 at least.

My conclusion is that SZ37 is pretty much required.

• '19 '17 '16

Have you tried against a real, breathing opponent? I tend to find the artificial intelligence is, shall we say, not so terribly intelligent.

• SZ37 is good move in terms of making a dent in Japans navy and it is a huge loss for them. However its only really worth anything if Japan needs to replace  the units, meaning unless you are going KJF its a completely pointless move. And it is a really, really boring move as it losses the game for the allies if it fails…

You cant really base your opinion based on Hard AI on triple A as its not really any good. The Hard AI Japan for instance tends to buy 10+ transports and do all types of unfocused ADHD moves all around the pacific without any clear objective, they take mexico, they take alaska etc…

• '19 '17 '16

@StuckTojo:

Have you tried against a real, breathing opponent? I tend to find the artificial intelligence is, shall we say, not so terribly intelligent.

Yes, a few times. Two opponents so not a huge sample. Without SZ37 I always found the IJN dominant and hard to dislodge.

• '19 '17 '16

@simon33:

@StuckTojo:

Yes, a few times. Two opponents so not a huge sample. Without SZ37 I always found the IJN dominant and hard to dislodge.

I’ve played a couple live opponents in person, too, as well as the AI. Always found that the Axis wins, wins, wins. Let me know if you ever want to take a whirl playing each other on AAA. I’ve never tried AAA with a live opponent before.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

sz37 is good move, in my opinion, although it is not necessary and could be risky.

Allies need some patience and wait for right moment to strike back…

• maybe if you are playing a weak german player who doesn’t take out the UK navy on G1

does AAA work well?  i’d be willing to play as well.

i’ve played the AI and it never does really well, far too easy to beat.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Regarding AAA … it works great.  I started to play a lot more because of AAA, and it’s fairly easy to set up.  Let me know if you have any questions on how to make it work.

• I got it working and played the AI and beat it in a few hours on global 40, will try out 42.2 next

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

That’s great - even better you could use AAA to play with live opponent via email! I still remembered how surprise i was the first time I play with live player in this forum.  It’s a lot of challenge :-D but lot of fun!

• Or play “by forum” nateous as many of us do using the relevant board below.

It’s what many of us are members for.

• I’m currently playing two games IRL, but will be glad to start a forum/email game with someone!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m