• Saw the pics on facebook…looks like UK1 smoked the E. Indies fleet, and US1 took Solomons as it should.  Kind of curious what the J1 buy was though.  I think anything that was placed towards land units was/is a mistake.  I think Japan’s only hope to avoid losing the Phillipines on US3 is to go Naval (CV/DD/SS on J1, and probably the same on J3).  It stops them completely in Asia, but if you can force the US to focus in the Pacific, then you don’t see Italy and France fall as quickly as it did (it looked like the Germans could have mounted a better strat, but did have forces knock knock knocking on Russia’s door).  Am I wrong in saying the Phillipines should be defended a bit better (add some inf and FTR).  Japan’s land focus should focus on hitting China and stalemate the other two fronts.  They HAVE to buy time for Germany.

• Founder TripleA Admin

There were possibly some bad buys from Germany but Japan was buying a lot of boats and planes so Japan, for me, is still up in the air for this version.

Also, I think with the victory city misprint, the victory conditions are too easy. We won the game with Washington, San Francisco, Manilla, Calcutta, Moscow, Rome, Paris, London, Honolulu. No Berlin, no Shanghai, no Tokyo and Leningrad was under Axis control. It doesn’t seem right.

• Given the situation though, this did look absolutely bleak for the Axis.  The Americans had both fronts covered and France and Italy lost means that the Axis would have to purposely sack something just to take France back (since I don’t think Italy was a possibility) for this to happen.  I don’t think the Japanese need to be buying planes off the start.  If UK1 is a success, that should still leave you the ability to field two CVs off the start and if you J2 another CV and perhaps scrap another DD, you can get a fighter for 3 loaded out CVs.  This again limits Asia offense but I think the only safe move now without playing a few games is to stalemate the Russian and British fronts and fortify the Phillipines. 
    G1’s best option (w/o having played it, so obviously this CAN change) (5inf, Bmb, 2art, 1 tank…using 41) may be to conquer Gibraltar (wipe out CA w/ BB and FTR) and let the DD flee.  Stack up for an Egypt offensive G2 and fortify France at the same time. I would put 2 FTR/Bmr in France, leave 1 in Germany, and 2 in Romania (this way UK doesn’t bring fleet into Med). Use 2 SS on UK DD/Trans, 2 Subs and Bmb and 2FTR on BB), hit Karelia.  G2 (similar buy?)  should allow you six land units and two fighters and possibly the BB to take out Egypt (FTR should be long gone, and with this move, I think Egypt may be quite empty w/only an inf left).  This is where IB of Russia or UK can take place with your two Bmb.  G2 may only need 3inf as you may want an additional sub so you can use a combine force of subs/FTR/Bmb against a navy.  This may allow Russia to be slightly aggressive, but with J buys, this is going to put US in tight spot to either help UK build Atl fleet or Pacific fleet.

• @djensen:

Also, I think with the victory city misprint, the victory conditions are too easy. We won the game with Washington, San Francisco, Manilla, Calcutta, Moscow, Rome, Paris, London, Honolulu.

I thought the Allies needed ten Victory Cities to win, only the Axis can win with just nine?  Or is that what you mean by misprint since apparently that was a post printing clarification.

• Will not play by VC….till the last man! (or cowardly surrender!)

• @djensen:

There were possibly some bad buys from Germany but Japan was buying a lot of boats and planes so Japan, for me, is still up in the air for this version.

Also, I think with the victory city misprint, the victory conditions are too easy. We won the game with Washington, San Francisco, Manilla, Calcutta, Moscow, Rome, Paris, London, Honolulu. No Berlin, no Shanghai, no Tokyo and Leningrad was under Axis control. It doesn’t seem right.

Kind of curious what the buys were for Germany… I think anything tank heavy or naval units beyond subs would qualify as bad buys…

• @Mallery29:

Will not play by VC….till the last man! (or cowardly surrender!)

I 2nd that motion.

• I had the complete opposite experience with this new version when we played it the first time lastweekend. The axis powers were unstoppable and won the game. Especially Germany is really strong and ended up taking all of Europe, most of Russia and all the way down to India.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

What if you beefed it up to 10 cities for the Allies? Would the writing be on the wall if you had the extra shanghai or leningrad?

Seems to me that when all the axis have left are capitals the game is pretty much won. And I like the idea of deciding the winner before it’s painfully obvious, makes the fight for certain cities more desperate.

I hope we figure this VC issue out without dropping Honalulu.

• For what it is worth, it sounds like this may be what happens when they do a FAQ/eratta:

@smo63:

Guys,

Yes, it is 13 VC.  Honolulu was missed.  Can’t comment on the quality control issue but remember, Larry is in Mass. while WotC is in Washington.  Things like this are bound to happen.

As I understand it:

The rule book (on page 6 � HOW THE WAR IS WON) will eventually be corrected to read:

On the map are thirteen victory cities crucial to the war effort. As the game begins, the Axis controls 6 of these cities and the Allies control 7 of them. The Allies begin the game controlling Washington, London, Leningrad, Moscow, Calcutta, Honolulu, and San Francisco.  The Axis powers begin the game controlling Berlin, Paris, Rome, Shanghai, Manila, and Tokyo. The standard victory condition is if your side controls three more total victory cities than it started with (9 for the Axis or 10 for the Allies) at the end of a complete round of play (after the completion of the U.S. turn), you win the war.

Page 23 (WINNING THE GAME) will also be corrected.  The third column in the chart will read “9 for Axis and 10 for Allies” (or something similar) and “13”.

You should also note that the German and UK starting IPCs as listed on page 6 are incorrect.  Germany should read 41 (not 40), and the UK should read 31 (not 30).

That is what we have to date…

Peace,
    Gregory J. Smorey
    Axis & Allies Tournament Director/GM - GEN CON/Origins/Spring Gathering
    www.headlesshorseman2.com

�The best luck of all is the luck you make for yourself� - MacArthur

• @maxx001:

I had the complete opposite experience with this new version when we played it the first time lastweekend. The axis powers were unstoppable and won the game. Especially Germany is really strong and ended up taking all of Europe, most of Russia and all the way down to India.

What was the R1 buy/moves and UK1 buy/moves?  I know Russia is in a hard spot, but even on 1st ed where I thought the Axis had the advantage, I would never say they were unstoppable…

• @Mallery29:

@maxx001:

I had the complete opposite experience with this new version when we played it the first time lastweekend. The axis powers were unstoppable and won the game. Especially Germany is really strong and ended up taking all of Europe, most of Russia and all the way down to India.

What was the R1 buy/moves and UK1 buy/moves?  I know Russia is in a hard spot, but even on 1st ed where I thought the Axis had the advantage, I would never say they were unstoppable…

I don’t remember what the Russians bought but we, as the allies, and made a terrible mistake and decided that Russia should attack western Russia which is under German control. He won the battle but left the front line against Germany far too weak because of the losses in the battle. The next few rounds the germans pushed i to Russia and Russia was out of the game.

• @Canuck12:

What if you beefed it up to 10 cities for the Allies? Would the writing be on the wall if you had the extra shanghai or leningrad?

Seems to me that when all the axis have left are capitals the game is pretty much won. And I like the idea of deciding the winner before it’s painfully obvious, makes the fight for certain cities more desperate.

I hope we figure this VC issue out without dropping Honalulu.

This has been figured out, Axis need 9 VCs, allies need 10 VC, and Honolulu is a VC (map is right).

See link below

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9209

• Good. That is cleared up then.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m