• Hi there, going to finally pick this one up now that the price has dropped. I understand it doesn’t come with enough chips and German infantry - can someone tell me what else I need to buy from a third party to make the set complete/playable, or is that it?

Thanks!

• HBG for everything

• Customizer

Try HBG first but last I checked they were out of stock on some 1914 pieces. Option 2 is to buy a second copy and sell or trade the stuff you don’t need either on this site’s market place or Ebay.

I was lucky enough to get the “WoTC supplemental set” which gives you almost another set of pieces if you called and nagged them. They aren’t doing that anymore.

A good “rule-of-thumb” is to just buy 2 copies of A&A games and go with third company parties like HBG and FMG for other things. Personally speaking, you need to do a lot of modification to make this game even playable.

You’ll want battle bucks or poker chips for money. You’ll need to make, copy, or use a previous edition IPC Tracker. I’d just use standard A&A chips from other editions and sell your 1914 ones.

You’ll want some kind of marker to show where areas are in contested status. Also you’ll want the tournament set-up and any FAQs printed for each player because the rulebook for this game sucks and you’ll constantly have to double check the rules.

Hope this helps.

• It does - thanks guys!

• Customizer

I eventually resorted to using chips for all pieces other than the obligatory last infantry; this was the only way to cure congestion on the western front.

It can be argued, though, that this method defeats the entire object of Axis and Allies games…

Don’t see why you need “contested” markers.

• So I get that HBG is a good place (bought from them before, great stuff), but in terms of units, what should I get? Germany is apparently obvious, but Is the UK, Austria Hungary, Italy, or the Ottomans lacking?

I see that France and the US are the same colour in Global 1940, so I wasn’t planning on getting any of those.

Is the shade of orange Italy is close to Japan from Global as well?

We’re planning on playing with some variant rules (Russian Revolution has an actual Soviet player), So are extra Russia pieces needed?

I got plenty of extra chips from Global 1940, 1942 (which I bought solely for the pieces), so no worries there either.

• @Gankutsuo:

Is the shade of orange Italy is close to Japan from Global as well?

I posted some comparative pictures here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30440.0
    Sculpt Colour Comparison Pictures

I’d say that the two 1914 colours which match almost exactly the Global 1940 ones are the 1914 Russians (almost exactly match the 1940 Italians) and the 1914 Italians (almost exactly match the 1940 Japanese).

• That’s really helpful! thank you!

what about the regular pieces though?

• Customizer

@Gank. Basically you need two copies of the game if you don’t want to keep consolidating stacks IMO. You use so many German pieces that you may not be able to make the purchases the way you want in the first German turn.

WoTC was sending out extra pieces at one point by request. They aren’t doing this anymore.

HBG does sell extra pieces but the last time I went to buy extra Germans they were out.

If you don’t care about how the pieces look you could use any existing A&A pieces from other editions you may have.

• I bought some extra pieces for German and UK and I haven’t really had any issues with running out of pieces for any other country.  And chips, lots of chips.

I would actually really like to have a chip that represents 4 units, just so when you buy 5 you can put out one chip with a figure on top.

• For contested zones, I just flip over the attacking power’s control marker to the black side and immediately deduct the value of the territory from the controllers IPC totap until the zone is no longer contested. This way I can scan for battles easily too.

• Customizer

@drsnidely:

I bought some extra pieces for German and UK and I haven’t really had any issues with running out of pieces for any other country.  And chips, lots of chips.

I would actually really like to have a chip that represents 4 units, just so when you buy 5 you can put out one chip with a figure on top.

I went further and use different coloured chips for each unit type. Thereby each nation has only one stack in each tt, which just about makes the Western Front manageable.

• For our first game, Germany ended up running out of troops fairly early. UK ended up unable to build a transport navy and got theirs blown up, so they couldn’t move troops. Nothing happened in Africa, and france/austria were using their troops fast where they didn’t need too many. Meh, 'tis what happens when new people play A&A. no worries.

I may get a second copy if I get that free amazon card.

Thank god for my 1940 chips!

• FYI, HBG has a few sets of chips up for purchase. They appear to be going quick!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m